mtbr member
    May 2014

first pair of mountain bike shorts butt gotta question

Yes a butt question. I just bought a pair of mountain bike short, they are the type that have the padded compression shorts with board short over the top. Here is my question the compression shorts are attached with a tiny piece of flat nylon webbing on both sides is that meant to stay or be cut? The tag made it sound like its to help support the liners. What do I do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i have never really thought about thsi, so i hope i am doing it right, but personally i have bought shorts like that and i have cut the liner away from the shorts.

doing this allows me to use the liner in other shorts, and secondly, it allows each short to sit independently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Leave it until they wear out, then cut it and use the outer shorts with seperate liners.

Short-Change-Hero
    Normally if it is sewn in then it is meant to be left there.. There are some brands that make replaceable liners for the exterior shell. All depends on the short and what you like.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok thanks guys. I haven't used them yet but I'm thinking that they will get mangled in the washing machine with the little attachments. I like the idea of using with separate shorts too. Does it really make that big of a deal to leave them attached?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cut for easy washing and drying.

mtbr member

first pair of mountain bike shorts butt gotta question

Cut them. Most clothing reps for shops where I've worked have said that they are sewn so that they don't get separated when people are trying them on or when they are getting shuffled around in the store. Also, they will tangle up like crazy in the laundry if you leave them together.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I got a pair of the shorts+liners, I left them attached at first. Hiking them up pulled on the stitching attaching the liner. By the time I really took notice there was a hole where the strap had pulled the spandex-y material away from the waist of the liner. I have hand-sewn the hole, but would have liked for it to never have happened.

Just cut them out when you get them. No real benefit of keeping them attached after purchase. Make sure not to harm any of the other stitching when removing them.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    When I wash my shorts I try to use an antibacterial soap and hand wash or delicates cycle and tumble-dry them (no heat) for a while each washing to break-in the chamois (trick from a PI rep). After they're a few wash cycles old I just hang dry them after washing. Lycra and elastic don't do heat well so it's best to keep things cool. Best trick for shoes is to air them out in the sun (keeps them fresher).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Gnarly
    You can cut out the liner (keep the waist band intact)

Don't use fabric softener and hang dry
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ditch those inner shorts, buy bib shorts and wear them with the board shorts