mtbr member
    Jan 2009

First full face helmet question

Hey guys,

I need some feedback. I'm looking to pick up a full face helmet and need some feedback from those that have them.

So far I'm looking at either the new Specialized Deviant full face, or the Giro Remedy. They both appear to be fairly breathable and light.

Here is my main concern. Although this will be mostly used for mountain riding, I will also need to use this for commuting. I'd say about 30% of my riding will be to get from point A to point B. For example, riding to the gym, or riding to/from the trails.

My question is, do any of you use these helmets during that off-time, when your just commuting to the trail, or short commutes? If so, how does it hold up? Is it bearable or rather torturous? Does the full face still allow you to ride alert on the street?

Thanks for the feedback.

My bike is cooler then me
    where to start... they are both fine helmets but because they are full faces don't assume you can take a big digger on ither one.

there are a few really rough pics of guys (and gals) wearing a remedy with a bashed in face. granted they weren't just commuting.

they really should market these as 'full face XC' helmets
    if you want a nice strong XC helmet with a bit of extra cheek protection then yes those two and the Bell Bellistic are good choices.

if you want a 'going fast and gonna crash' helmet i'd get something much more beefy.

ps i run AM and trail riding with a Bellistic, its a good helmet but i wouldn't try to Down hill with it ever.

good luck helmet shopping sucks
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't think it will be very aggressive downhill, at all just yet. I just would rather want a full-face, for my own piece of mind.

I did look at the Bell, and it looks like a great bang for the buck.

What I am wondering though is if a full face is comfortable enough to use for daily commutes, pretty much the time when you are not on the mountain. (about 30% of the time for me)

ill start my saying i have no direct exp with the specialized.

the bell and the giro have nice open faces, extra vents and are much cooler then most beefer lids. However compared to a non full face its pretty warm in there.

physical comfort i'd say i think its better then the standard XC or even the beefy FF. it fits and stays on my head better then the XC do and its not nearly as heavy as a big FF.

ive looked at the specialized and i'd guess its prolly real close to the weight of the giro, but a bit cooler with all them vents.

for what your telling me yeah any one of those three would be just fine.

now to answer your question, if i were you i wouldn't wear any full face on commutes, even the super drafty ones are still pretty warm and unless i was planning on taking a reasonable digger on my face i wouldn't ever worry about it. but thats just me.

i kinda feel like you want the extra face protection, but as soon as you get a few rides with it you gonna take a second look at using it on stuff your not that scared of falling on... like a commute. i did the same thing haha, but i use mine on big trail days now so its not a waste, just not what i was hoping.

Old man on a bike
    I've never seen the need for a ff helmet for me, but I don't race downhill or do stunts either.
    I know someone who had a serious accident commuting with a standard helmet, now wears a ff full time (even on a road bike), but more out of paranoia than anything. If you can climb with a ff I don't think commuting will be as bad. Why not just a second helmet for other than nasty trail conditions? You can get a very good helmet for not so much $ if you look around...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. I'll check them out in person, and maybe my LBS can give me a deal on 2 helmets.

Alien Surf Team
    I agree with Codad, for DH there's no reason not to wear a moto-cross helmet. Back in my day it was Moto-4 and I still have mine. hahaha. Moto-8 is current. You can wear that for pedaling. You'll die of heat stroke. hahaha

mtbr member
    I find that the most dangerous things on the commute are other drivers rather than road conditions or obstacles. A FF (CPSC) is unlikely to have any real advantage over a standard XC helmet in a collision with a ~3000 lb car and I find that when I wear a FF I sacrifice peripheral vision and hearing and while gaining excruciating heat.

Unless your commute is full of potholes and large obstacles a FF is not that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    A FF (CPSC) is unlikely to have any real advantage over a standard XC helmet in a collision with a ~3000 lb car and I find that when I wear a FF I sacrifice peripheral vision and hearing and while gaining excruciating heat.

agreed... maybe a nice motocross body shell suit would be money better spent. not entirely joking about that.

local trails rider
    What sort of a climate are you in?

Whatever the design, FF will restrict airflow to some degree. That means it is hotter and breathing is harder.

mtbr member
    I live in LA and have seen people commuting with a full face helmet during the summer. I would go with the Deviant. it has the most air vents. and the carbon Deviant would be even lighter and stronger if you can afford it. I have considerd the Deviant myself.

mtbr member

fullface

I wear my Bell Bellistic everywhere.To me the street is far more dangerous than the trail.
    Mine is a very light color so it reflects some sun light.But when it gets really hot I wet the padding with cold water from my Camelbac.

Members who have read this thread: 0