Ride it like you stole it
    Apr 2004

Finally got my money's worth out of my helmet

In several years of riding, I had never had a crash were my head impacted the ground. This morning riding in the Limburg region of Holland, I had the pleasure of testing the usefullness of my helmet. I was coming down a steep hill, yes there are hills in Holland, just not many and all of them in southern Holland, anyway my speed was between 40-50kph. I was coming to the final turn at the bottom of the hill, slick wet leaves, and the next thing I know my head was bobbing on the ground, I think i got a good 3 hits in during the 25 foot slide. Definately rattled my cage, but no worse for the wear. I was a bit light headed when my friend came upon me 30 seconds later. Glad that I was wearing a helmet, I remember as a kid growing up we never wore helmets, and I have been guilty on occasion of riding with out one on short rides.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    I had a bad crash ( first point of contact was my helmet/head at about 25 mph) a few years ago, the doctor explained that if I hadn't been wearing one, I would have died, after he looked at the helmet. Also had to get my CAT scanned. (Chekt out fine az u ken c.)

I wrote a letter and sent the damaged helmet to Giro, and they sent me a certificate to replace it at my LBS.

Note: The LBS told me about this program and they had to certify the letter. Not sure if Giro still does this, but would be worth looking into.

contains quinine
    Excellent work!

Now go buy a new helmet.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Cheezy Rider
    I took a trip over the handlebars with no helmet when I was in college, was not pretty, although could have been much worse. Even after that, I wouldn't wear a helmet except on the trails. Finally bought a comfortable (instead of cheap) helmet last month, wear it just about every ride now. Guess we get smarter as we get older...if we survive.

What part of Holland are you from? I have friends in Arnhem.

It's about showing up.

By most measurements

if you have the opportunity to test a helmet in such a fashion it's time to replace it.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

My helmets hate me

But I love them. They get some sort of workout several times a month on some really stupid stuff,. usually on low limbs at night. The last one was practicing wheelies clipped in in the street. I hit hard enough on the back of the head to release the Jet Phantom helment light saftey catch on the front of the helmet. I didn't even know it had a sfety relase. There was only minor dain bramage.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Bad judgement in motion!

You never WANT to test them, but...

My friend was riding in the mountains around here when he hit a rock and endo'd. Broke his collarbone, and put a dent in his helmet so deep we couldn't recreate it with a hammer. Two hundred pounds flipping over the handlebars at speed exerts a LOT of force. Funny thing is that the helmet seemed fine except for the dent--until we stressed it just the right way and it fell in half.

Helmets are designed to take one hard impact. Even if it doesn't really look damaged, replace it.

He just crashed again yesterday, BTW (this time he got taken out by a dog) and broke another helmet. Maybe he should start buying them in bulk...
    I'll take the Pain and Humiliation Combo, super-sized.

Ride it like you stole it
    Apr 2004

Holland

I live on the german/holland border near Sittard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I took a trip over the handlebars with no helmet when I was in college, was not pretty, although could have been much worse. Even after that, I wouldn't wear a helmet except on the trails. Finally bought a comfortable (instead of cheap) helmet last month, wear it just about every ride now. Guess we get smarter as we get older...if we survive.

What part of Holland are you from? I have friends in Arnhem.

Crumb-tumbler
    Helmets are my friend. I was going down the mountain on my DH rig, screwed up a hip somehow (still a mystery, I dunno what I did wrong) and landed going who-knows-how-fast on my head. No problems with my head since I was wearing my full-face, but some body armor would have been good. Swollen and bruised from wrist to mid-chest, pretty gross. Go Giro!
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.