mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. FF Helmet Safety Ratings: Giro Remedy Vs Specialized Dissident

Ive read thread after thread where people claim they would not DH with the SD (Specialized Dissident) but will with the GR (Giro Remedy). What I found funny was the SD has more safety rating than the GR.

Ratings:
    Giro Remedy: CPSC

Specialized Dissident: CPSC, SNELL B-95, CE and ASTM 1952

It would seem the Specialized would be the one to buy.

If my information is off please let me know.

I had a traumatic brain injury in 2008 and NEED the best protection I can get. Please give me your input as to which you would buy. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Then it depends on which you're more willing to risk.

All those certs if you read them are old and basic bicycling helmet standards, the ASTM 1952 is more specific to downhilling and is the only one that tests the chin bar.

I after my last crash and the scars it left on my face, I've been researching helmets a lot.
    Take a look at MIPS | Take a look in the latest issue of Popular Science.

Here the helmets I looked at:
    FIGHTERS COLOR WHITE PEARL
    Sweet Protection | Helmets and protection
    Cortex DH MIPS - POC Sports

The Poc and Fixer are not ASTM1952 certified and the Airo I emailed and didn't get a response.

The problem is as far as I found, there isn't a ASTM 1952 MIPS helmet. The email I received from Fixer says they are working on meeting that standard.

So I was left with a choice, ASTM1952 to verify the chin bar strength, or MIPS to help reduce a concussion. I've already had a few concussions and since evidence is suggesting the damage is cumulative, I choose to go MIPS and hope the chin bar holds up.

Since Airo didn't respond to emails and Fixer is an unknown to me I went with a POC and hope the fact that they are well known and been making helmets a long time the chin bar will not fail.
    Also you can find the Poc for around $350 right now.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow that's an amazing response, thank you! I will definitely be looking into the POC and will be emailing Specialized to see if they're MIPS rated.

I just hope they have different colors lol

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Then it depends on which you're more willing to risk.

All those certs if you read them are old and basic bicycling helmet standards, the ASTM 1952 is more specific to downhilling and is the only one that tests the chin bar.

I after my last crash and the scars it left on my face, I've been researching helmets a lot.
    Take a look at MIPS | Take a look in the latest issue of Popular Science.

Here the helmets I looked at:
    FIGHTERS COLOR WHITE PEARL
    Sweet Protection | Helmets and protection
    Cortex DH MIPS - POC Sports

The Poc and Fixer are not ASTM1952 certified and the Airo I emailed and didn't get a response.

The problem is as far as I found, there isn't a ASTM 1952 MIPS helmet. The email I received from Fixer says they are working on meeting that standard.

So I was left with a choice, ASTM1952 to verify the chin bar strength, or MIPS to help reduce a concussion. I've already had a few concussions and since evidence is suggesting the damage is cumulative, I choose to go MIPS and hope the chin bar holds up.

Since Airo didn't respond to emails and Fixer is an unknown to me I went with a POC and hope the fact that they are well known and been making helmets a long time the chin bar will not fail.
    Also you can find the Poc for around $350 right now.
    Very much appreciate your post. I have been thinking a lot about a significant helmet upgrade and this puts me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Its good to see the ratings becoming more of a priority of cycling helmets. A good helmet probably saved me in a motorcycle helmet a few years ago. I Only ride a snell approved on a motorcycle. Would love to see the manufactor's introduce a more comprehensive ratings system that reflected real world factors for mountain bikes. Would be much easier to compare brands on a safety vs. price basis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    Its good to see the ratings becoming more of a priority of cycling helmets. A good helmet probably saved me in a motorcycle helmet a few years ago. I Only ride a snell approved on a motorcycle. Would love to see the manufactor's introduce a more comprehensive ratings system that reflected real world factors for mountain bikes. Would be much easier to compare brands on a safety vs. price basis.
    MIPS is what I've been looking for. It has the best coverage for us.