Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Favorite Vintage Clothing

I know that one of my faves will be hated by many here but I love my Northface Baggy shorts (1991 era) with perforated upper leg area (under the baggy short) and a real chamois. The outer is a very lightweight material and is PINK in the front half Black in the rear. Lightweight and cool (temp wise)

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

My faves

I always liked Large Hardware shorts. Still got a couple of pairs in good shape, their about the only baggies I wear. One day they'll be gone tho'. People have complained to me that they're too hot but man I love em.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

mwr
    brain donor
    Levi's jeans, preferably with holes at the knees, Hang Ten t-shirts, Vans low tops and soft foam Giro Prolight helmets with lycra covers.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr
    Levi's jeans, preferably with holes at the knees, Hang Ten t-shirts, Vans low tops and soft foam Giro Prolight helmets with lycra covers.
    I usually ride in a Hanes cotton Tee, baggy shorts.

Actually, I will ride in jeans on occasion.
    I did Demo Forrest in jeans and a sweatshirt on the Slingshot SS on a volunteer trailwork day. Needless to say it was a tough ride let alone carve trail...
    (me with the Slingshot, MTBR's AussieBob to my right, MTBR's Gregg far right).
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Call me a retro-nerd roadie, but I love the old Euro team jerseys from cycling's heyday. The old Peugeot's are in the top 3 favorite of all time (along with Faema and Bianchi), but the one below is in a league of its own (kudos if you know its history ).

Ass-kickin chili fixins

Yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-
    Call me a retro-nerd roadie, but I love the old Euro team jerseys from cycling's heyday. The old Peugeot's are in the top 3 favorite of all time (along with Faema and Bianchi), but the one below is in a league of its own (kudos if you know its history ).
    Anomie. I couldn't agree more. Love those things. Pure function. With all the space-age synthetics out there, natural wool still rules. And the styling was so clean and clearly handmade on those early road jerseys. Even the little mini shorts were great, though I don't know that I could wear black wool short shorts without feeling a little self conscious. The Faema is my favorite.

Shoes though.

I loved those bright colorful Sidi Dom 1's. Those were something. The II's were damn fine as well. Actually I've never had another pair of shoes last as long as those II's. Never gave a hint of trouble in 12 years. But I just replaced mine with a pair of new Dragons. What the hell went wrong over at Sidi? The old Doms had a velcro strap which was easy to grab, easy to adjust, and nice and wide for grip area even with dirt in between. When you reached down, the ratchet lever had one pronounced edge your fingers would find without fail. Same for the release. Quick push, and it'd pop right open. The whole thing was fast, easy, reliable, and clean.
    Now these Dragons are the top of the line shoe. The ratchet mech has all kinds of stylish little lines on them, which are nearly flush with the edges of the levers, so your fingers don't find them without your eyes helping. And the release buttons? There are now two on the sides, which aside from being tiny and equally difficult to find, have to be pushed simultaneously, and HARD, down alongside the sides of the mech, which doesn't work when there's mud under there. Those still aren't as difficult to release as the monofilament loop reels. The reel mech isn't very stable on the shoe, so grabbing the lever just moves the whole unit around, and when you do stabilize the thing against the top of your foot, you have to really crank on it to open the mechanism, and then there's so much drag it doesn't automatically release the loop. So you have to use the other hand to yank the loop loose or spin the flippy dial knob to unwind it. Of course, there are two of these per shoe, so double that fiddling, and to make matters worse, they used the same parts on both shoes, so on one you tighten by spinning clockwise & the other counterclockwise, and one shoe has the release knobs moving forward & the other backward. Try remembering which is which. Hateful little monsters. I'm more than happy to pay $300 for a shoe that fits well, and these are probably the most comfortable shoes I own, moreso than a nice pair of $700 italian loafers, but the hassle of installing these shoes on my feet makes me dread going out for a ride. Sidi had a great shoe. I miss it.

mtbr member
    Its definitely all about Bula. If any item of clothing says 'vintage mountain bike' to me (at least from the 90's), its H-Ball wearing a Bula hat.

Also had two pair of those Sidi shoes. I think I had the warm weather version... purple suede, yellow mesh... I counted the number of colors once. I think there were 14!

/C

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    Its definitely all about Bula. If any item of clothing says 'vintage mountain bike' to me (at least from the 90's), its H-Ball wearing a Bula hat.

Also had two pair of those Sidi shoes. I think I had the warm weather version... purple suede, yellow mesh... I counted the number of colors once. I think there were 14!

/C
    Bula...didn't one of us own something Bula? It wasn't me. CL maybe?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member

=) As much as I hate to admit it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

He and I both had a small collection... I found some Bula stuff in my recent move. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. Pretty ridiculous. Anything to be like greg herbold though...

/C

Nuns hated me too!
    a Schwinn Wheaties jersey
    an Etto helmet
    a Fat jersey
    a Bell V1 camo helmet
    anything neon
    a General jersey
    those shorts with the hip pads - can't remember the name
    a Miyata jersey
    mesh back gloves
    a Cannondale Crest jersey
    cycling caps with the little flip-up brim
    a Brooklyn Chewing Gum jersey
    Oakley Razor Blades - especially neon!
    anything that says Suntour
    I'm small where it counts

Ass-kickin chili fixins
    Quote Originally Posted by Disappointment to my Mom
    Axo shorts! Oooooohhhh yeaaaaaah. I was nowhere near cool enough to have a pair of those.

Nuns hated me too!
    Hahahahaha!! Yeah, that's them!
    I'm small where it counts

Thumbs Up!

just make the gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Disappointment to my Mom
    a Schwinn Wheaties jersey
    an Etto helmet
    a Fat jersey
    a Bell V1 camo helmet
    anything neon
    a General jersey
    a Miyata jersey
    mesh back gloves
    a Cannondale Crest jersey
    cycling caps with the little flip-up brim
    a Brooklyn Chewing Gum jersey
    Oakley Razor Blades - especially neon!
    anything that says Suntour
    Mechanix gloves
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had the original high end shimano SPD shoes I think they were orange and black. They had laces under velcro and fit me great. I think I wore them for 3 sweaty GA seasons before the funk became unbearable....

I still have an old canondale jersey that is white mesh (now perma stained by GA red clay) with purple sleeves and yellow writing. It's very festive...

JAK
    mtbr member

3 that stand out...

For me...

Plumline Jkt with Disco style collar and back pockets

Stumpjumper panaled lycra shorts with a REAL chamois!

The original Real MTB shoes...Rivat Cyclo-X high tops

Also the Plumline Jkt SSMike listed...Plumline was Rad! I wonder what happened to them and Kangaroo...?
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member

i know it wasnt me

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    rumphy do you consider some of my neon jerseys retro??? or perhaps my pink and yellow spandex specialized helmet cover

spandy

mtbr member

Some of my old garb

Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    I know that one of my faves will be hated by many here but I love my Northface Baggy shorts (1991 era) with perforated upper leg area (under the baggy short) and a real chamois. The outer is a very lightweight material and is PINK in the front half Black in the rear. Lightweight and cool (temp wise)

Plumline rules!! Their stuff was so good they went out of business. Once you bought one of their jackets you never needed another one
    My jacket looks almost as good as the day I bought it and I wore the thing for years! Also pics of my old Oakleys
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My favorite "vintage" clothing is old "Cantina" stuff. I have a couple cotton jerseys with the original Cantina logo and two pairs of baggy shorts (and "short" is the word) that the original owner used to sell out of the shop. Come to think of it, I never wear them anymore since the jerseys are packed away and the shorts are 32 waist (shaddup!).

Okay, my favorite vintage clothing is the Alpinestars jersey the dealer gave me when I bought my AL-Mega XTR. That was my first synthetic jersey and that one still gets worn from time to time.

Don't make me dig out the Troy Lee/Shoei helmets or the Bell "pump" helmets we still have in the shed...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Digging up an old thread here and having a great time searching old posts in this forum. Ahhh...memories.

I still have a Plumline jacket just like in the pics, AXO shorts, Etto Helmet (pink shred design..or whatever it was), BULA hats...three of them, two berets and one floppy hat, a TON of BULA stickers, a BULA bag (like a little over the shoulder tote...I keep my rock climbing shoes in them!), oh...a Plumline gore tex hat too and a windbreaker...maybe plumline? Can't remember. I still love that windbreaker, but I only used the jacket 2 or three times. It never gets that cold out here in So Cal.

Bought all the Plumline stuff to go to Moab for the Fat Tire festival back on the late 80s. 87or 88 I think....I still have the event t-shirt somewhere. I rode my Paramountain frame there so it should have been around that time. I still have that bike too!

Some stuff is too good to get rid of!

Certified Bike Junkie

AXO boots

I had a pair of the AXO high top shoes/boots about 1989 I think. I don't know where they disappeared to but I wore them until I switched to clipless.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Urbanek shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-

this belongs in hollywood. i love the arcore campagnolo woolie. mucha plata though..
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    this belongs in hollywood. i love the arcore campagnolo woolie. mucha plata though..
    are these stricktly from Breaking Away?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    are these stricktly from Breaking Away?
    yes. i believe so.
    edit: cheaper to just invent something than deal ($$$) w/ an euro team for rights.. breaking away was a small/medium budget movie.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast