mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Face protection?

Took a spill over the weekend and a piece of wood went through my cheek. I get my stitches out on Thursday but I am sure the area will be sore and healing for some time after that. I need to ride though, Im going insane just sitting around. Other than a full face helmet is there anything out there that could protect my face?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Nothing as effective as a ff. Sounds like you had a bit of a freak accident, but if you're going to make a habit of doing face plants, there's a ff helmet out there calling your name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree that this is likely a freak accident and the trails I ride present few opportunities for epic face plants like what I experienced this weekend. Because I don't think Ill be doing this on a regular basis I don't think I really need a full face helmet, but I do want something for a bit of extra protection that is removable for the time being so I can get back to the trails sooner. I was thinking about face masks like what basketball players with broken noses use but for some reason I can only find half face versions that wont cover the affected area and Im not sure that this would be an option that would protect me in a MTB crash either. Any thoughts?

Yes, that's fonetic
    It would help a bit but I think the discomfort/heat would outweigh any protection benefit you'd gain.

Ow!
    If you are riding XC (or trail--whatever), you can check into a MET Parachute. A FF XC helmet, but not a DH helmet. Almost as light and cool as a regular lid. Very expensive though. I wear one for 95% of my riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have three friends who swear by & wear the MET (every ride).
    Order direct from UK. You can also find them on ebay. They're not sold by any one in the US.

Members who have read this thread: 0