mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Face protection?

Took a spill over the weekend and a piece of wood went through my cheek. I get my stitches out on Thursday but I am sure the area will be sore and healing for some time after that. I need to ride though, Im going insane just sitting around. Other than a full face helmet is there anything out there that could protect my face?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Nothing as effective as a ff. Sounds like you had a bit of a freak accident, but if you're going to make a habit of doing face plants, there's a ff helmet out there calling your name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree that this is likely a freak accident and the trails I ride present few opportunities for epic face plants like what I experienced this weekend. Because I don't think Ill be doing this on a regular basis I don't think I really need a full face helmet, but I do want something for a bit of extra protection that is removable for the time being so I can get back to the trails sooner. I was thinking about face masks like what basketball players with broken noses use but for some reason I can only find half face versions that wont cover the affected area and Im not sure that this would be an option that would protect me in a MTB crash either. Any thoughts?

Yes, that's fonetic
    It would help a bit but I think the discomfort/heat would outweigh any protection benefit you'd gain.

Ow!
    If you are riding XC (or trail--whatever), you can check into a MET Parachute. A FF XC helmet, but not a DH helmet. Almost as light and cool as a regular lid. Very expensive though. I wear one for 95% of my riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have three friends who swear by & wear the MET (every ride).
    Order direct from UK. You can also find them on ebay. They're not sold by any one in the US.