mtbr member
    May 2008

Eye protection - Rudy Project

I've had eye irritation for the last two weeks and I just went to the optometrist who noticed two super small bug parts in my eye.

I'm going to pick up some Rudy project glasses and am looking for recommendations. Most of the riding I do is after 5pm through wooded single track. However, I'm also going to start doing endurance races so am not sure if a pair of transition lenses would be better for mid-day going in and out of the woods.

What would you recommend for the type of model and especially the lens?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have had a pair of Noyz for about 2 years and love them. I used them for normal Sunglasses as well as shooting glasses and more recently as cycling glasses. Mine are Rx but I only have the matte black lenses. I have ridden in lightly wooded areas on a cloudy day and have had no problems seeing.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    FWIW I've had Oakleys for over ten years, and Rudys for about 2.

The Rudys have great clarity, but I've found that their mirrored finish is nowhere as durable as whatever Oakley uses. With six months, by Ekynoxs were far more scratched up than my 5 year old Oakley Minutes.

Fortunately, Rudy has a cheap lens replacement program, but last time I used it the took two months to replace my lenses because of stock problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have the Magster with ImpactX photochromic clear.
    They transition very well (unless you are in/out of sun every few feet) and the clarity is great.
    They tend to "fog" on me when it's humid uphill, but clear quickly downhill.
    Wife has the RX version and sees very well even around the curve of the lens.

workin' it Administrator
    I, and my wife have, rudy projects. That is I have them but have long ago stopped using them. The rubber parts that are supposed to keep the glasses attached to your face are poor performing, the glasses would fall off if I looked down and would constantly slip down my nose. The replacement parts are insanely expensive ($25 for a replacement nose piece plus $10 shipping!) The nose piece was designed so that when you wiped your lenses at a break the rubber pads would fall off and you wouldn't notice until it was gone. They have since changed the design but again $25.

The lenses do scratch and the replacement program gets you a new set for ~$50 or so. However for that much you can be in a new pair of Tifosi glasses that have reasonable optics, come with multiple lenses and when you break or wear them out a new pair still only costs as much as a set of lenses for your Rudy Projects.

In my opinion Rudy project glasses are glasses to be seen in not glasses to do mountain biking in.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a pair of prescription Rydons with a clear photochromic ImpactX lens, it gets darker in the sun and is awesome. I use the racing red for road riding. Highly recommend.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    The lenses do scratch and the replacement program gets you a new set for ~$50 or so. However for that much you can be in a new pair of Tifosi glasses that have reasonable optics, come with multiple lenses and when you break or wear them out a new pair still only costs as much as a set of lenses for your Rudy Projects.
    As mentioned before, the replacement costs are $19 for standard/multilaser lenses (I had mie replaced late last year). Otherwise, I generally agree with your sentiments- they are not the most practical choice out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got a clear glasses from LLBean for 16 bucks, they are very good, round over eye, and UV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had thought about getting glasses and recently just started getting bugs in my eye.. didn't really think about having to go to the doctor for it. Definitely going to get some glasses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My brother is a eye doctor and hardcore MTB, he implored me to get a clear glasses! His friend got pocked by brunch and almost lost his eye....a lesson to be learned...

ready to ride
    I would get a pair of ANSI rated safety glasses. You can pick some up at Lowes or Home Depot. Much cheaper than specialty glasses. If you need RX glasses you can still get RX safety glasses at decent price. I think mine were about $70 and even have foam band that keeps the sweat out of your eyes.

That said I like costa del mars or Maui Jim's for polarized glasses. I just don't use them for biking on the east coast where they get smacked and scratched often.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I have some RP Rydons with Impact-x photochromic clear lenses - hardly ever wear them. My Tifosi Fototec Tyrants (clear to dark lens) however get worn all the time. I just find them more comfortable, a better fit and don't slide around.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I've had eye irritation for the last two weeks and I just went to the optometrist who noticed two super small bug parts in my eye.
    Eyewash. Get some from CVS or any drugstore - comes with an eyecup. Works wonders after a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Yup

Sorry, guys
    Just following the rules to start my 1st thread