mtbr member
    Jun 2012

EVS Sports WB01 or Troy Lee 5205 Brace

My history in biking is zero, and I just turned 41 so I'm trying to be safe as possible so I don't break anything. I had a few mishaps at a local park this weekend that could have sent my flying so now I'm looking for wrist brace. After doing some searching the Troy Lee does not appear to have many reviews compared to the EVS, but the Troy Lee looks to be more robust like it may offer more protection. My LBS does not carry protective wear on hand.. (except helmets and gloves) so I can not check them out before buying. Has any one tried both of the wrist brace or know someone that has.? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I broke my distal radius and ulnar styloid back in April 6, out of the cast and back on the bike for short rides around the neighborhood on May 25. I felt paranoid after the crash so I have tried a few different wrist guards... I have tried the troy lee 5205, flex meter guards and now use a six six one wrist wrap. One stipulation for any brace is that it needed to work with gloves.

Flexmeter wrist guards...very uncomfortable, tried for a short ride around block but couldn't grip my bars properly.

Troy lee 5205...much smaller in person than in the picture. Went only about 2" past my wrist on my forearm. There is no palm support and only dorsal removable plastic "sticks" for stiffness and to prevent hyper extension of the wrist. I felt that it didn't go far enough on my forearm and if I would crash like I did before all the energy would be transferred to my radius and would have had a much worse fracture due to the short design regardless if I removed some of the sticks to make it less stiff. It was also not very comfortable after more than an hour.

Six six one wrist wrap...has thin plastic plates on both sides. The plastic is flexible enough that it will absorb energy and not transfer it directly to the radius while preventing hyper extension of the wrist. This one is also the most comfortable and I can grip the bars properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Don't use wrist guards, but wear EVS ultra light knee and elbow. Can get great pricing on their stuff too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: EVS Sports WB01 or Troy Lee 5205 Brace

Quote Originally Posted by OrthoAg View Post
    I broke my distal radius and ulnar styloid back in April 6, out of the cast and back on the bike for short rides around the neighborhood on May 25. I felt paranoid after the crash so I have tried a few different wrist guards... I have tried the troy lee 5205, flex meter guards and now use a six six one wrist wrap. One stipulation for any brace is that it needed to work with gloves.

Flexmeter wrist guards...very uncomfortable, tried for a short ride around block but couldn't grip my bars properly.

Troy lee 5205...much smaller in person than in the picture. Went only about 2" past my wrist on my forearm. There is no palm support and only dorsal removable plastic "sticks" for stiffness and to prevent hyper extension of the wrist. I felt that it didn't go far enough on my forearm and if I would crash like I did before all the energy would be transferred to my radius and would have had a much worse fracture due to the short design regardless if I removed some of the sticks to make it less stiff. It was also not very comfortable after more than an hour.

Six six one wrist wrap...has thin plastic plates on both sides. The plastic is flexible enough that it will absorb energy and not transfer it directly to the radius while preventing hyper extension of the wrist. This one is also the most comfortable and I can grip the bars properly.
    Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about your injury and I hope it has healed up well. I came across the flexmeters last night and thought they looked like a fit but I guess they are off the list now. I'll look at the 661 and the EVS guards more when I get home tonight, from the pictures they appear to be very similar. I can get the EVS pads from Amazon who has a great return policy. Where did you purchase the 661's? One reason I was not sure about the EVS pads is because of the foam inserts giving it the stiffness, but you have confirmed what I've read elsewhere about needing some flex in it to disburse the energy of a fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Noob9ers View Post
    Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about your injury and I hope it has healed up well. I came across the flexmeters last night and thought they looked like a fit but I guess they are off the list now. I'll look at the 661 and the EVS guards more when I get home tonight, from the pictures they appear to be very similar. I can get the EVS pads from Amazon who has a great return policy. Where did you purchase the 661's? One reason I was not sure about the EVS pads is because of the foam inserts giving it the stiffness, but you have confirmed what I've read elsewhere about needing some flex in it to disburse the energy of a fall.

Thanks, I have almost all of my range of motion back with very little pain.

The biggest thing I hated about the flex meters was that they slide on your wrist with an elastic material and then just tighten more with straps. I could never really get my glove on and the transition between the edge of the material and my palm would get irritated with my grips.

I got my 661's from Jenson USA...but sometimes amazon has them. Jenson has a pretty good return policy as I have sent back a few items that I didn't like and they always took it back as long as it was within 60 days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'd avoid Amazon. You may think they have a great return policy...till you need it. You can call my parts guy 305 238 0005 ask for Christian. Full disclosure, this is where I work. Christian is our parts guy.