mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Enduro AM Protection?

I need some body protection (shorts, shirt) that is lightweight, breathable, and still offers some protection in case of, well, you know. I have hard shell body protection for DH but forget trying to actually pedal anywhere with that stuff on. I need something that you can actually wear and pedal but offers a bit more protection than the standard XC stuff. As my friend says "Enduro is ridding just as fast as DH but on a smaller bike and less protection" So far the TLD stuff seems to get the best reviews, what say you great Mtbr forum?

P.s Please don't suggest to stuff it in my backpack and put it on when I get to the top. I'm looking for protection that is meant to be worn both up and down cause some trails have many ups and downs.

Thanks.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wear a TLD hot weather vest:
    Troy Lee Designs BP3800HW Protect > Apparel > Protective Gear > Chest Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It feels a little awkward when standing around, but is not noticeable at all when on the bike. The vest only has chest and rib pads. Despite what the description says there is no shoulder or back protection. However, I don't want shoulder protection as they always seem to annoy me. It would have been nice to have some back padding also, but I usually have a pack on that covers my back. If you want shoulder and back protection TLD makes a shirt version of the same thing that has padding there.

EVS shorts that are no longer made, but appear to be replaced with these:
    EVS Tug Padded Riding Shorts | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I cannot comment on this new version, but the old version I have fit nicely and have a nice chamois.

Lastly I wear these knee pads, which I highly recommend:
    One Industries Exo Knee/Shin Guard | Backcountry.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I picked up a pair of the Fox Demo shorts that are pretty nice. They've got some tail protection but that's about it. G-Form elbow and knee pads are lightweight and reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
    I wear a TLD hot weather vest:
    Troy Lee Designs BP3800HW Protect > Apparel > Protective Gear > Chest Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It feels a little awkward when standing around, but is not noticeable at all when on the bike. The vest only has chest and rib pads. Despite what the description says there is no shoulder or back protection. However, I don't want shoulder protection as they always seem to annoy me. It would have been nice to have some back padding also, but I usually have a pack on that covers my back. If you want shoulder and back protection TLD makes a shirt version of the same thing that has padding there.

EVS shorts that are no longer made, but appear to be replaced with these:
    EVS Tug Padded Riding Shorts | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I cannot comment on this new version, but the old version I have fit nicely and have a nice chamois.

Lastly I wear these knee pads, which I highly recommend:
    One Industries Exo Knee/Shin Guard | Backcountry.com

Thanks, the TLD vest looks promising. Have you crash tested it yet?
    I'm not worried about back protection as I'm getting an EVOC Enduro pack with an integrated spine protector. I need something for those Superman moments into jagged rocks.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Enduro AM Protection?

Fortunately not yet. I expect it will help, but the big crashes will still hurt as it isn't nearly as burly as full on downhill or moto gear.