mtbr member

Endura winter jacket suggestions.

I want to move from my very good Gore Bike Wear Phantom 2.0 jacket to a very same one from Endura. Both my mtbs are red and black like my jacket isI hate to be the dandy of the group.:roll eyes:

Need a good solid Endura jacket,not necessarily waterproof but of course wind proof and with a tiny bit of thermal capabilities like the Phantom 2.0 is. Any suggestions ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member

How "winter" does it get where you live?

I've got an Endura Equipe Thermo Windshield jacket (fluorescent lime green) which is more of an autumn - spring jacket than full winter jacket.

http://www.endurasport.com/product-d...?ProductID=225

The Endura jacket has a windproof front but then the rear of the jacket is thermolite material. Worn with an Assos LS.skinFoil_fall base layer underneath that works well between around 10c and 5c in the UK. I don't end up sweating profusely, the jacket can stay mostly zipped up and the non windproof back lets it breathe enough so you don't cook on the hills.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singlePro...19,21&prod=446

At the rear there are two side pockets and then a zipped centre pocket. The traditional three even size pockets would be better but it's ok most of the time. You have to stop to open the zipped centre pocket and the two side pockets are narrow at the top then widen out. You have to be careful not to put your hand fully in the pocket. One of the first times I wore it in thin gloves I got my hand trapped in the side pocket trying to reach food in the bottom! For 15-20 seconds I was riding along unable to get my hand back out coming up to a junction, contemplating having to lay the bike down. I just got it out in time and haven't made the same mistake since.

The "highly athletic fit" is being rather diplomatic though. That's a polite way of saying it's designed for fat MAMILs as there's plenty of space for a big power belly. When you try one on lean forwards into a cycling position to make sure it's not too baggy in the front.

When it's colder than 5c I use a warmer jacket and/or more layers underneath.

mtbr member
    I've got the Endura "Windchill 11" jacket, which costs around UK 65.

I have found it to be a great item. It's lined and comfortable (because I'm "worth it" according to the leaflet that came with it lol)

I've ridden in temperatures down to 3 degrees C with only a T-shirt underneath and not been cold.
    It resists water very well, tonight I went out and the heavens opened, my core was dry when I got home although everything else (shoes, tights, gloves, head) was soaked.

Water did not get down my neck either.

I've been out in the worst mud ever, so bad that I had to hose the jacket down before putting it in the washing machine. I've washed it over twenty times and it is still waterproof.

It does get a bit warm over about 12 degrees air temperature though. However for a lightweight winter jacket I would thoroughly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Listen!

I have the Endura Stealth (here), and it's pretty sweet. I've had mine for almost 3 years or so and it still does a decent job of repelling water. As for warmth, I've worn single layer merino wool ls shirts and just this jacket and stayed plenty warm on road rides in 20F cold. The side and arm vents are ample, but I found that the wrist zippers when open provide an incredible amount of air flow and cooling. Fit is good, all zippers are waterproof, so there's no open pockets. Available in black or red.

mtbr member
    Ok winters where I live are a joke. Today is what is considered a cold morning and it's 10 Celsius at 8 am. What I use for riding is a Gore jacket with just a technical Tshort under. For early autumn/spring I have another lighter Gore jacket.
    For the once or twice a year 6C road ride my Assos Jhabu5 with again a simple technical Tshirt gets me covered. We have very rare rain all and when it does rain we just don't ride,we know the next day it will be very sunny. We have no mud either.
    I've browsed for most of the afternoon yesterday and it seems that a lot of Endura's consumers agree with this : their jackets are excellent but not as breathable as a Gore Bike Wear's membrane.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I use an Endura Convert softshell. So far I've worn it down to -4C (with 2 thin layers underneath) and it has been excellent. It is ok in light rain, but I put on an ultralight rain coat over the top if it gets too heavy.

Endura - Products
    Last edited by Marc2211; 01-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ok winters where I live are a joke. Today is what is considered a cold morning and it's 10 Celsius at 8 am.
    I was wondering about that. The rest of Europe heads there to avoid riding in the cold.

When you live in cycling heaven you don't want anything too hot as many winter jackets will just boil you alive if the temperature goes much over 10c. It's difficult as the Endura product website has lots of jackets and no real indication of recommended temperature for each one. What I've found is that full windproof jackets are frequently much hotter than the part windproof jackets (windproof front non windproof back).

If you're looking at a minimum temperature of 10c then heating up during the day I probably wouldn't wear a full jacket at all as I'd overheat on the climbs (depending on if it's a cold wind or not). I'd most likely be wearing a club cycling jersey matched with arm warmers and a base layer underneath, maybe a gilet too. Castelli do a windproof base layer to keep the wind off your chest:

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/855/

Something that I've been liking quite a lot this year is wearing an Endura Windchill thermolite headband under my helmet. It's lightweight and lets heat escape whilst stopping crosswinds getting into the ears on exposed sections and also keeping sweat out of your eyes. It works well for those cooler days where you may want to regulate temperature and can easily be stowed in a back pocket.

http://www.endurasport.com/product-d...?ProductID=147

I carry a spare skullcap and neckwarmer buff in a back pocket to put on in case it gets colder too up in the hills. It's down near 0c and ice everywhere in the mornings here currently so not quite the same conditions however.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I want to move from my very good Gore Bike Wear Phantom 2.0 jacket to a very same one from Endura. Both my mtbs are red and black like my jacket isI hate to be the dandy of the group.:roll eyes:

Need a good solid Endura jacket,not necessarily waterproof but of course wind proof and with a tiny bit of thermal capabilities like the Phantom 2.0 is. Any suggestions ?
    Bar price.... any reason why the switch from GORE to Endura ?

I am just back from Ireland and went the with the intention of buying a good wet/cold weather jacket, after looking and trying all different ones on, including the Endura range and your Phantom 2.0. I went with the GORE ALP-X SO with the zip of sleeves (leaves a gilet) and it is Red/Black.

Wore the jacket while there in snow, rain, wind and mud down to -2 with many of the rides done with just a bib-shorts under the jacket.

Excellent bike jacket.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX