Thread: Elbow pads

mtbr member

Elbow pads

After wiping out twice at Tamarancho today, I think it's time to invest in some elbow pads. I'm not doing downhill - mostly trail (some technical) - so I don't want hard shells. And of course - I want it both ways - for them to be breathable on warmer days and to fit under long sleeves for the cooler weather.

I'm looking at the Troy Lee Elbow Guards EG 5500 and the G-Form Elbow Pads. I wear the G-Form knee pads, but I'm wondering if the elbow ones will be too hot, since it's a full sleeve. Also, the elastic at the top isn't super comfortable - for the knee pads, I pull the top of the elastic over the bottom of my liner shorts.

Anyone have any experience with these?
    Also, anyone have any ideas on the Troy Lee sizing? They don't have it on their site. (My elbow measures 9.5" around the middle.)
    Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a set of the TLD elbow, but the 5550 with the forearm protection. They fit very well, are low profile. I typically don't ride up with them or any pad, but put stuff on at the top, so can't speak to how hot they would get during lots of pedaling. I tried on the G-Form, but felt the TLD had better protection.
    here is sizing for TLD its on their site, but you need to open the PDF to get to the elbow pad sizing, the normal page doesn't show that for some reason. Troy Lee DesignsŪ | Sizing Information

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Definitely not a fan of the TL 5500's. Great looking and durable elbow pad, but just won't stay up on the arms. The lower band fits a bit snug, but the bicep band is to loose. Gave them to a friend after my first ride and he has the same issue. Purchased a set of POC VPD 2.0's and love them!!

troll
    After mangling my elbow/forearm in a pretty bad way last week, I of course did the obligatory "don't need pads until I've crashed and wish I'd had them" thing and ordered a set of the POC VPD 2.0 elbow pads.

Although I haven't had a chance to use them (I'm still recovering and likely off the bike for another two weeks, plus my arm is still hamburger meat), my first impression is that I'm really going to like these. The build quality is excellent, and the fit is sleek and dare I say, a bit stylish, even. The straps + stretchy sleeve material seem really secure, and I have total flexibility. Can't wait to take these out on a trail to see how they feel while riding!

troll
    Also, to the original poster above, in terms of sizing, you're probably not going to want to go by the measurement around your elbow... more importantly would be the measurement of your bicep, and the part of your forearm below your elbow, because that's where the straps or elastic material is going to be the most snug.

I know the POC pads take this into account with their elbow and knee pad sizing charts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    After mangling my elbow/forearm in a pretty bad way last week, I of course did the obligatory "don't need pads until I've crashed and wish I'd had them" thing and ordered a set of the POC VPD 2.0 elbow pads.

Although I haven't had a chance to use them (I'm still recovering and likely off the bike for another two weeks, plus my arm is still hamburger meat), my first impression is that I'm really going to like these. The build quality is excellent, and the fit is sleek and dare I say, a bit stylish, even. The straps + stretchy sleeve material seem really secure, and I have total flexibility. Can't wait to take these out on a trail to see how they feel while riding!
    Another great thing about the POC's... they don't stink after a long day of riding. Not sure how they do it, but they actually smell good... LOL.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +1 on the POC VPD 2.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    Definitely not a fan of the TL 5500's. Great looking and durable elbow pad, but just won't stay up on the arms. The lower band fits a bit snug, but the bicep band is to loose.
    Same here. (TLD suggested I take them to a tailor. "Thanks!"). Then I got the POCs (original not 2.0) and they're fine.

unrooted
    I'm a big fan of the LEATT stuff, but they don't have sizing info online. I have a 11.75" bicep and I emailed and was told the L/XL should fit well. They get good reviews and are made of similar materials to the POC, but cost only cost $50.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where can I find reviews of the leatt guards?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've been using the G-form pads for a little while now. Like everyone else, I tore up my elbow pretty bad which finally convinced me that protection = good. I live in AZ and usually ride in the late morning/ early afternoon. The G-forms are not too hot... It's more that the spandex is black and attracts the heat rather than not being breathable. I had to warranty my first set after the stitching started coming undone around the seem of one. The stitching on the replacement set seems questionable as well. They are probably good for 12-18 months but the fact that I forget that I have them on while riding is worth it.
    Killing it with close inspection.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by KuKuKu View Post
    Where can I find reviews of the leatt guards?
    DirtyJane.com - MBA reviews the 3DF Elbow Guard by Leatt - MTB Gear for Girls.

Leatt 3DF Elbow Guards > Apparel > Protective Gear > Arm Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Where do you live? If you ever head to Mammoth Mountain let me know and I can try to let you test mine out. If you ever go to Vegas/Boulder City you can try them on at All Mountain Sports. I don't have a lot of experience biking with knee pads, but compared to Skateboard pads these are very much cooler, and they seem to be holding up really well after a couple wrecks. They are a bit less obtrusive than the POCs that I've handled, but similar build.

Review: Leatt 3DF Knee Guards | Factory Jackson

Review: Leatt 3DF Soft Armor | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the links and the offer. As I am from germany, I unfortunately won't be at Mammoth Mountain anytime soon.

unrooted
    I'm also close to Death Valley which is full of Germans right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yup. It's holiday season in Germany, but I can't afford a trip like that.^^