mtbr member

Elbow pad question...

Looking for minimalist, ie low profile elbow protection. I've seen the Gform, but it covers 1/2 the arm, and I would prefer, less coverage and a cooler (temp) design.
    I have seen the Nukeproof and I really like the open inside design (should run cooler). Are there any others with that open inside arm design?

habitual line-stepper
    I really like my Troy Lee EG5550's. Had them on all day on the lifts at WBP (along with their KG5450's) without complaint. Silicon grippers along the cuffs and at the joint keeps them in place and the sleeve is very breathable. The 5550's cover the elbow and forearm, sounds like you'd be more interested in the 5500's:

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=105&id=14998

I did have to size down from what they recommended on their fit chart, so try them on if you can or buy a couple of different sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    I really like my Troy Lee EG5550's. Had them on all day on the lifts at WBP (along with their KG5450's) without complaint. Silicon grippers along the cuffs and at the joint keeps them in place and the sleeve is very breathable. The 5550's cover the elbow and forearm, sounds like you'd be more interested in the 5500's:

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=105&id=14998

I did have to size down from what they recommended on their fit chart, so try them on if you can or buy a couple of different sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Good luck
    Great! Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    I have the 5500's and the 5400's and really like them. Sometimes I forget I have them on.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    I received the 5500 elbows. Very comfy....in fact maybe too comfy
    I measure out for the medium, so that's what I got. The upper is not tight, just barely snug, and when I bend my arm, it gaps open a bit. The lower is snug and doesn't gap when bent. OK, don't tell me I need some bicep work!
    Just wondered how yours fit, whether they loosen up much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I received the 5500 elbows. Very comfy....in fact maybe too comfy
    I measure out for the medium, so that's what I got. The upper is not tight, just barely snug, and when I bend my arm, it gaps open a bit. The lower is snug and doesn't gap when bent. OK, don't tell me I need some bicep work!
    Just wondered how yours fit, whether they loosen up much.
    I have the 5550s in Medium. The upper gapes a bit and the lower part is really tight on my fore-arm and I'm no Popeye. I think their designed that way to be comfy but not shift. I also have the knee pads that are looser at the top. They've not loosened yet, but I've only had them a little while.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    For those who like the TLD 5500/5550, do you also recommend the knee pads? I'm coming from more of an XC background but would like some elbow/knee protection as I'm starting to get into stuff that could lead to some more pain should things not go as planned (which of course WILL happen at some point!)..
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes