Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    387

    Eggbeater Cleats???

    i am on the verge of needing to get my 2nd set of new cleats for my Crank Brothers Eggbeaters in only about 9 months. while i like the pedals very much, needless to say, i am less than happy with how poorly the brass cleats hold up.

    i've been shopping around & found what are being sold as "premium" Crank Bros cleats but nothing in their description says what is premium about them. does anydody know anything about this, are they actually an upgrade, in hopefully how long they last, over the stock ones?

    or, is anybody aware of any steel eggbeater cleats out there?

    thanx for any assistance...

  2. #2
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,384
    Think about what you're saying.

    Do you want the cleats to wear out, or the cleats to be made out of a harder material, and thus increase wear on the pedals?

    You can't have it both ways.

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,725

    Eggbeater Cleats???

    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    i am on the verge of needing to get my 2nd set of new cleats for my Crank Brothers Eggbeaters in only about 9 months. while i like the pedals very much, needless to say, i am less than happy with how poorly the brass cleats hold up.

    i've been shopping around & found what are being sold as "premium" Crank Bros cleats but nothing in their description says what is premium about them. does anydody know anything about this, are they actually an upgrade, in hopefully how long they last, over the stock ones?

    or, is anybody aware of any steel eggbeater cleats out there?

    thanx for any assistance...
    The premium cleats have more angle adjustment, and are slightly harder.

    Having the cleat angle set to minimize them working against the springs is key to longevity. If the cleat is constantly opening the wings as you pedal the wear rate is high as you grind away at the cleat. Set right, movement and wear is minimal.

    I get 1-2 years from a set of cleats, though I do have several pairs of shoes (and ride a lot).

    You do NOT want to cleat to be harder than the pedal. Better to wear out cleats than the pedal wings. I have done the latter, but it took 5-6 years of muddy gritty riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    387
    i do have my cleats postioned to be harder to unclip but i admit that i had not really thought about steel cleats possibly wearing out the pedals. i use eggbeater 3's, which have cast steel wings, so i wonder if that would be such a worry.

    i run the same pedals on both my mtb & my road/commuter bike so i wear the same shoes almost everyday & i probably walk on them too much, which may account for how i wore out the cleats so quickly.

    guess i'll just give the premium cleats a try & hope for the best

    thanx for the couple replies...

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,725

    Eggbeater Cleats???

    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    i do have my cleats postioned to be harder to unclip but i admit that i had not really thought about steel cleats possibly wearing out the pedals. i use eggbeater 3's, which have cast steel wings, so i wonder if that would be such a worry.

    i run the same pedals on both my mtb & my road/commuter bike so i wear the same shoes almost everyday & i probably walk on them too much, which may account for how i wore out the cleats so quickly.

    guess i'll just give the premium cleats a try & hope for the best

    thanx for the couple replies...
    Cleat adjustment is far from just how much rotation is needed to release.
    Rather than just bolt it on, you need to set the rotation angle of the cleat on the shoe--whether the shoe naturally sits heel in, heel out or straight when clipped it. It needs to match your natural foot/leg angle.
    There is no free float in CB pedals. Screw up the angle adjustment and you are always working against the springs and wearing the cleats.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There is no free float in CB pedals. Screw up the angle adjustment and you are always working against the springs and wearing the cleats.
    Wow, I have been using Egg beaters for seven years and could have sworn there's float. So I went to check this, clipped a lone shoe (sans foot) in and carefully looked at it from different angles while wiggling. And as you said there is no float!

    I have been very careful about the angle adjustment because I was looking to get my natural foot angle in the middle of the (imaginary) float of the pedal for riding comfort, but my cleats have had long service life as well and I never realized it could be because of this. So I've been doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

    You learn something new everyday.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    387
    i was aware there is no float on eggbeaters & always thought that as little as it seems to be on the race cleats that came with the pedals, i had the angle adjusted right for me.

    since, as you pointed out @shiggy, premium cleats have more angle adjustment - hopefully fooling around with that will get me longer cleat life.

    thanx & any other words of wisdom in this matter are greatly appreciated...

Similar Threads

  1. Eggbeater 4ti/3ti or Eggbeater 11 deals?
    By krzysiekmz in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
  2. SPD vs Eggbeater cleats
    By bee in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
  3. Stuck eggbeater
    By kumes12688 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
  4. X-Post--> Eggbeater 4ti to Eggbeater 11's?
    By MSH in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
  5. Paid SPAM: Eggbeater 4Ti pedals (new cleats)
    By briscoelab in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •