mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Dumb ? Winter riding helmet.

Anyone use a ski helmet for witner mtb riding?

Would it be warmer then a regular bike helmet with a liner, are they insuated?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't know anyone who has one, just thinking it might be better then trying to add layers under the helmet.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Should have mentioned, I'll ride with temp down to 15F

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neal_b
    Anyone use a ski helmet for witner mtb riding?

Would it be warmer then a regular bike helmet with a liner, are they insuated?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't know anyone who has one, just thinking it might be better then trying to add layers under the helmet.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

I've never worn it riding a bike, but I did some tough hiking in my Giro 9 snowboarding helmet. It is definitely warmer than a normal bike helmet. It would have to be considering the intended use. The Giro I use has some vents with rubber plugs, so you have some temp control. In terms of both warmth and ventilation when you need it a helmet like mine would work for biking, but I think the biggest drawback would be the weight of it. It is definitely heavier than my bike helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Brrrrr
    There are hoods at outdoor and motorcycle suppliers, I use a thin micro fiber full hood that tucks down into my collar ... nice and toasty.
    This one looks cool and probably works for you face.
    http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...7349D&tier2=65
    If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. --- W. Edwards Deming

HIKE!
    I ride alot with a Giro 9 ski helmet. Down to 10 degrees. Got some good Lake SPD winter shoes a size too big, plus this helmet, opens a whole new world of ATB riding. We sometimes get cold spells with no snow.

The Giro ski helmet is perfect for winter riding. Total crossover that makes sense.

slow
    I started riding in my ski helmet last winter and really like it on the super cold days. I still ride with a fleece skull cap or ear band under my cycling helmet on warmer days because the ski helmet is too warm.

Temp -7F:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    we ride all winter in NH, regular helmet with a balaclava. Youll need long insulated tights, winter shoes, gloves, insulated jacket. Its not as cold as you'd think, kinda like xc sking, once you start riding you warm up

Big Boned
    http://bikewinter.org/main.php

Dig the tips link.

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, but a good trick is to cover your helmet vents with duct tape to keep warm air in. Between that and a balaclava, you'll be fine.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

1946:2006:2066

Giro Fuse

snowboarding helmet...a good winter biking helmet
    mine's a 2004 model
    any snowboard/ski recreational helmet works fine for winter riding
    better than liners and a summer biking helmet

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    http://bikewinter.org/main.php

Dig the tips link.

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, but a good trick is to cover your helmet vents with duct tape to keep warm air in. Between that and a balaclava, you'll be fine.
    i like to use as old helmet and clear packing tape. i think it sticks better than duct tape(doesn't work loose if it gets a little damp) and your helmet still looks like your helmet. but that + balaclava keeps me toasty in pretty much any weather the rest of me can stand to be out in, so basically anything above 0F
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

squish is good
    Check out a brand called Seirus. That exact spelling, google always tries to make me spell it different but thats it! Trust me.

They make mostly mountaineering and ski equipment but have a really good line of skull cap-style liners that fit perfect under any bike helmet. I use them under my road helmet, XC MTB helmet and Full Face DH helmet for cold conditions, should only run you about $20 at the most, heres a pic of one of the items but they have lots more that are similar!

BTW, I'm not a dealer, just an enthusastic customer who loves their stuff!

Nat
    mtbr member
    It works great. You don't need anything underneath the helmet. It's much warmer than a bike helmet plus liners. It keeps my head warm even at the top of the chairlift in whipping, icy wind.

When it's really nasty out you can use goggles too.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    regular helmet with a balaclava
    Blocking the ventilation of the helmet helps too, if that is not enough. Tape over the holes works, and I've seen some sort of shower-cap-like things that are made specifically for covering the helmet.

livin' large
    If it's cold enough to warrant using my ski helmet, I will go skiing! but yes it works if you need to ride in frosty temps, the bike however dosen't seem to like that sort of treatment I found out, the hard way!
    it tied the room together man!

local trails rider
    My bike starts getting stiff when it gets close to -20 Celsius.

Wet snow is my main enemy in winter: it gets packed between the cogs. Now I have a singlespeed bike too...

mtbr member

Snowboard Helmet

Sorry, can't remember the model. It works great for keeping my head warm, but I'm having difficulty with a way to mount my helmet light.

Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I've been winter riding for about 15 years, I love the looks on the snowmobilers faces when the ask how I got to the top mountain and I tell them I rode.

I have all of the other gear down as in what I need for a given temp range and such but the problem areas have been the head and feet.

Someone mentioned the winter shoes, those are on the list also (good tip on the +1 sizing).

I think I'll go to a few ski / board shops and see what the have for helmets and try them on, looks like I want to find something that has adjustable ventilation.

For thoes of you who freeze up (the bike that is) try coating all of the moving parts (except brakes) with silicone spay help relpel the water, works wonders.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neal_b
    Someone mentioned the winter shoes, those are on the list also
    Kashmir's!

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/021505_answer/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't your tires spin out of control on the snow?
    2007 Specialized
    FSR XC COMP

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Studs!!!

Home made studded tires. I have a set of old Specialized Cannibals (wish they still made them) with car studs inserted from the inside. I use a slit tube for a liner around the tube.

When I went to the tire shop for the studs the owner thought I was nuts and gave me a bunch of different lengths for free. I think there's around 48 in each tire, they protrude more the pre made bike tires, kind of sketchy on pavement though.

They're great fun out on the lake, it's amazing how they bite.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You mean because of my Herculean thighs? Why yes, they do.

local trails rider
    All snow is not created equal... there's dry, wet, fluffy, soft, scruntchy, packed, frozen, one millimeter of it, one meter of it...

Riding on hardpack dirt is different from riding on wet rocks or slimy mud too.

mtbr member
    I just put tape on the vents in my helmet and I'm good to go.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    keep in mind, nothing works well in deep snow. you need studs , and then they will be good on hard frozen surfaces, 4-5 " of powder and you wont be able to steer
    Nokian extreme tires work the best 294 -296 carbide studs
    ive had the same set for 4 years now, virtually no wear, lost a few studs (maybe 25 from both ) you can replace them , Innova makes a kit.
    I may try a snowboard helmet, but, to tell the truth, alot of times the balaclava and regular bike helmet are too hot, not too cold. Dont forget, you are exerting yourself pedaling a bike and you will sweat, not the same as riding a lift or sliding downhill

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    It works great. You don't need anything underneath the helmet. It's much warmer than a bike helmet plus liners. It keeps my head warm even at the top of the chairlift in whipping, icy wind.

When it's really nasty out you can use goggles too.
    this georgia boy agrees with the bolded part for riding when it's that cold outside

Big Boned
    I know some people swear by studded tires or fat tires with low tread like the Endomorph, but I found my best control with 35c road touring tires, even in deep snow. They tended to cut through the slop and find the pavement better, instead of floating and sliding.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    this georgia boy agrees with the bolded part for riding when it's that cold outside
    Haw! Good one!

Nat
    mtbr member
    I know some people swear by studded tires or fat tires with low tread like the Endomorph, but I found my best control with 35c road touring tires, even in deep snow. They tended to cut through the slop and find the pavement better, instead of floating and sliding.
    Pavement?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    I bet it also works during hurricane season.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

never seen paved single track

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't know about you guys, when I go out like the pictures above show - my family thinks I'm a freak.

local trails rider
    A pic of a bike after a ride on wet snow over wet ground (not mine)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Even if your singletrack happens to be paved, this will only work when ALL of the snow is really fresh. Maybe somewhere south that's what happens; you get snow now and then and then it all melts away. But some people live and ride where you get snow in November and then they have it until April. Melted and refrozen: studs. Never melted: tread. Slicks will kill you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good to know there are more winter riders than I thought. I wear my Giro snowboard helmet which some pro riders kinda "haha" cause its not bike specific. I have ridden at 14 below 0 Farenheit here in Leadville. Sometimes I take the long way home when I get off work at 4am during my winter schedule. Yeh snowmobiler look at us funny, but just sitting in a wind tunnel at 40 mph vs working at 5-10

Riiiiiide...
    http://www.icebike.com/Default.htm

Great link.. everything bout biking in the cold.. REAL cold.

Members who have read this thread: 0