mtbr member
    Jul 2011

dumb question but LBS did it without asking me

i dropped off my wife's Spec Era Expert at our LBS last night (Wednesday) for a tune up and brake bleed. the mechanic mentioned that the grips are worn, so i said ok for him to order some sram double lock-on grips on the condition that IF they could come in by Friday, otherwise it's not important enough since we can do it anytime and we wanted the bike back for weekend riding. i was surprised, pleasantly at first, to get a call today that the bike is already finished and ready for pick up ... even though i told them i would pick up Saturday so they can take their time to be thorough with the bike (truing wheels, etc.). however, surprise turned negative as by my calculations since we dropped it off right at closing last night, and they don't open til almost midday today, the most time he would've spent on it would've been 1-2 hours (my gut tells me that's very unlikely). i asked if they did the brake bleed, etc., and he affirmed all of it, then told me what i owed for new brake pads and bar grips. surprised i asked how did they get the grips so quick, and his reply was he used something else that was in the shop. wtf?? no call or attempt to reach the customer when choosing parts to put on the bike?? anyway, story is getting too long, but the grips he used are NOT what we chose or would've chosen. so, mechanic huffs and puffs saying he'll just remove them since he didn't think it mattered what grips he used (again, wtf?) and slams the phone down.

finally, here's my frustrated question -- Does anyone have any opinion of whether or not "Spec Grappler Locking Grips" are any better than the stock ERA grips which are "Spec Waffle Lock On Grips"? My gut tells me it's not much of an upgrade at all.

Appreciate any feedback (apologies for the rant, but this LBS has definitely lost repeat business from us).

mtbr member
    I dislike the specialized grips. Wear resistance is quite low. Not cool about your mechanic throwing a fit when he did something you didn't ask. What was he to expect?

"Thank you, Mr. Mechanic! My taste in accessories is exactly like yours!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    no opinion on the grips, but i have had a similar thing happen with the LBS taking liberties with my bike tune (replacing old parts) that they never cleared with me,,, the price jumped much higher of course,,, argued a bit, then paid my bill never went back there. Super annoying.

mtbr member
    Just curious about why you hated the Spec grips so much? Looks like they're basically the same as the SRAM ones.
    I do agree that not confirming with you about a change on a specific part you wanted is not good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the Spec grips are known to not have good longevity. both the grips on my stumpy and my wife's ERA are examples of poor longevity. they were worn through after one season and mine actually have chunks of materially totally worn through. this is one of the main reasons we wanted to try another brand, regardless of the grips 'looking' similar. we've heard better things of the durability of other brands compared to Spec when it comes to grips, and our experience suggests there's likely truth to it.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    You should name the shop here. Arrogant a-holes like this really drive me crazy. He deserves the bad press.

I hope you do find an LBS that treats you better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Just curious about why you hated the Spec grips so much? Looks like they're basically the same as the SRAM ones.
    I do agree that not confirming with you about a change on a specific part you wanted is not good.
    Grips are personal preference, I don't know what lock on I'd hate but I know what I like on my bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That is unbelievable, I would ask to talk to the owner of the shop if this mechanic isn't also the owner. Make the owner aware of what his employees are doing so he can fix the problem and keep other people from going through this situation. I would never go back to any business that pulled this kind of crap and then on top of it had a rude employee dealing with me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't care what the part is, the customer should always be called before any parts, that are not exactly what the customer requested, is installed. Didn't think it mattered what grips were used? Umm, your hands are a pretty major contact point for the bike so having the correct grips is a pretty big deal, IMHO. They might as well swap out the saddle since "it doesn't really matter what saddle you have".. same with pedals.. grrrr! That crap makes me so angry, in case you couldn't tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

wow ... childish

just realized i got negative rep for the above thread, yet unable to see what their full comment was or who actually did it. this is absolutely childish as the agreements above easily refute a negative view of this thread. why would anyone NOT want to know about bad business practices? if this forum is to support and promote the sport, then the ENTIRE experience is part of that, which includes the full supply chain. 'kids' are not buying $4k bikes to ride trails, the target market is well above 'kid' age so keep that in mind. let's not pretend we're all king of the hill types with an answer for everything and ability to fix anything. the majority of high end bikes are brought into shops for servicing because the majority of those riders ('buyers') do not have the equipment or time or lack the skillset to do a proper repair job ... but they are still a very important part of the market. if bike shops think they can treat their customer base the way this one treated us, they will lose business, it's that simple. knowing what to look out for because of what 'can' happen (or has happened to others) at shops is helpful. period. it is part of mtn bike ownership.

too bad there's not a maturity factor in enabling the rep function on this forum because some clearly are not deserving of it. maybe too many head hits and too little brain power to see the big picture of things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

btw .. to complete the loop

i have not been able to get in touch with the owner of the shop in question still to this day, and have stopped trying. they have two locations and neither seems to be aware of when he will be at either location so it was a day by day checking on my part to get in touch with him. i was waiting to talk to him fully before giving more feedback in this forum so as to first give him a chance to correct, but this ship has sailed.

we did take the bike to another shop straight away after picking up the bike. This is the written feedback that we received from that shop after checking my wife's bike that is worth sharing:
    "Rear dérailleur low limit screw wasn't set, so the derailleur would push the chain In between the spokes and cassette. The cable tension wasn't tight so the rear dérailleur was slow shifting up. Front and rear pads did not need replacing, confirmed by 2 mechanics. Seat post should be replaced as the sliding will continue to happen. Rear brake pads were rubbing pretty significantly, reason for rub was because the pistons were not reset properly when new pads were installed. These are all very basic things that are checked in a tune, and I mean very basic, a junior mechanic knows to look for these issues." How's that for an overview of the quality of the quick turnaround from the shop in question? Clearly the mechanic in question didn't do alot of necessary things, and I highly doubt he bothered to bleed the brakes as was the ONLY reason i brought her bike to him in the first place.

we did pay the $50 for the new pads, and still have the pads that were replaced, which the new shop insists we keep to just reinstall once the new pads wear ... because the old pads that were replaced are totally fine.

here's the kicker -- the owner of the shop wasn't around when the bike was picked up, but clearly the guy that was left in charge was briefed on the situation and took a VERY ODD approach. his response to our complaint about what transpired in terms of replacing pads without our acknowledgment and against our explicit instructions, and choosing grips without our approval, etc. was as follows ... seriously this was his response several times ... "trying to contact customers would take too much time. if we don't replace parts then why would we even bother doing free tune ups [as part of the original sale agreement]?" WTF? Maybe you should tell customers that when you tag on 1-year of free tune ups as part of the original sale you should also say "and we will sell you new parts even when you don't need them and without asking your permission because that'll justify the supposed free tune up" because at least that would then be full disclosure. I'm still shocked whenever I think of this. He was totally dismissive of our disappointment. Had we known how bad the tune up was before leaving the shop with the bike (and paying the bill just to get the heck away from there) it would've been alot easier to show them up and criticize constructively, but we didn't know how bad it was until hours later ... and then we decided it needs to be communicated with the owner only, but this unfortunately has still not happened ... at least not our side of it.

clearly the problems at this shop appear to be beyond questions of competence and into integrity. my gut tells me this shop is overdue to be downsized, and i'm very unlikely to be the only one feeling this garbarge, so it's only a matter of time as word spreads.

and for those that feel this is an inappropriate thread, keep in mind it started as a simple question regarding 'grips' but evolved into sharing the full experience. it was a constructive approach, not venting.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Neg rep sucks, but don't sweat it. Until they remove the ability to rep anonymously nobody will pay it any mind.

You've got legitimate beef and (for whatever my opinion is worth) sound completely rational and reasonable. It's a shame when you try to support an LBS in this tough business and they make it impossible to be loyal.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    i dont go to my lbs really at all for repairs, only for parts i need right away, and occaisonaly a repair that i dont have the proper tool for, but i stopped going to the closest lbs because the one manager there is a total B**** and has no idea how to deal with customers, i go there occaisonaly now only because i know and like the owner and i know hes a good honest man that knows what hes talking about
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    jesus facking krist op, get over yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    jesus facking krist op, get over yourself.
    You're the mechanic in question, aren't ya?
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Im baffled how common this is. It happens nationwide at TONS of bike shops. They just do repairs, toss parts on, and hand you a much bigger bill than you ever approved. Its not legal or ethical, and its incredibly prevalent.

Bike shops arent doing much in general to keep their reputation positive.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry this seems like a funky situation that happens all to often, as more and more shops struggle to remain open I suspect the ones with better customer appreciation will be the last standing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are bikes not like cars? The business isn't allowed to do any work(required or not) without notifying the customer first? Also doesn't the customer have to sign for the work before it begins?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If some auto or bike mechanic did this to my property without explicit authorization from me, I'd ask them to put the old parts back on with no additional charges above the authorized quote.

turtles make me hot
    I've been putting Lizardskinz Peaty grips on my daughter's bike, my sister in law's bike... Anyone with smaller hands. I use the Logo grip for larger hands.
    The Logo grips on my bike are three years old and are just starting to look really worn. I'm running out of freash spots to turn up. I think they last great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Get this. My buddy ordered, from the lbs, a part for a used frame he just got that hes still in the process of building up. Its a proprietary part and hard to come by, apparently it was the only one Spec had left.(but cane creek makes it too, more on taht later). the next week the guy at the shop told my buddy that he got the part in, but sold it to someone else instead because the other guy (probably a drinking buddy of the employee) needed one ASAP for a trip. The shop guy told my friend , "your bike isnt fully built and rideable yet anyway, and i oredered a matching part for ya from cane creek, and its only $5 more so pay up".
    WHAT THE F**K?!!! how do shop employees get away with this crap? Needless to say my friend told the guy to forget it and hell order it himself from cane creek, And he wil never set foot in that shop again. The state of his bike build, rideable or not, was none of the shop's concern. He oredered the part first, he should get it first. Period.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Man that sucks that they tried to screw you like that.

I took my bike in for the one month tune up and it had a few things that had me pretty concerned. They brought it down into the work area and about 15 min later it was back up.
    At first I was hesitant to think that they actually cared to look into what I had mentioned. With out me asking he immediately started going over what he did to correct the issues and give me a few tips about how I could correct them myself in the future. They also gave me a nice discount on a few other things I bought that day. Bike rides awesome now.
    Thats how a bike shop should be, not *****ing because they actually have to do some work or have some consideration for the customers wants.

I recently moved out of state and looking for a another LBS that gives a Sh*t, I hope you bring your business somewhere that deserves it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    why is this in the "apparel" subforum?
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside