mtbr member

Dumb helmet question (Giro Xen)

Ok, so I finally bought my first helmet a few weeks ago, a Giro Xen. Fits great, really comfortable on rides, but...

...I feel like the damn thing is taller than other MTB helmets, when I thought it would have a lower profile. Get a laugh from all my friends when I wear it. (Not that they would know any better) Now, I know it's sized and fitted perfectly, but is this helmet larger/taller (aside from the lower back and sides) than other helmets? Any other Xen wearers got any pics of it on their heads so I can see if I'm just being irrational here?

I admit, in the long run I know it doesn't matter, as long as it protects my head. But I hate helmets, never wore them in my whole life for bike riding. Recently decided to play it smart and got the Xen when people said it was like a skatestyle helmet, but with good venting. Almost looks like the good venting is making it way taller than it needs to be though!

Like I said, dumb question as I know looks shouldn't matter when you're trying to be safe, but it's making me self concious. Very hard to find pics of other people wearing a Xen to see if I'm just being silly...

Geez, I feel dumb even posting this...
    Last edited by Tarekith; 07-29-2005 at 06:18 AM.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member

I own one, i have the same impression

i don't care tho. it is what it is. other than my protec, they all look somewhat goofy. In mn, we had a cyclist killed the other day(looks like a helmet issue circumstantially), and one other one with a massive head injury 2 weeks ago and another one killed in June (by auto).

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5530082.html

Insurance.

Rick

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not going to stop wearing it or anything, just surprised at how big it is for a helmet that's supposedly skatestyle. Hmm, maybe I'll look into the Bell Faction or a Protec Ace...
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    That's really weird....I bought a Xen specifically because i thought it was a low-profile look atop of my large melon....i absolutely love it.
    I'll go back to my old Specialized helmet and it looks like it adds about another foot on to me.

That stinks you don't care for yours though....being a helmet I highly doubt it's returnable.

mtbr member
    I love how comfy and ventilated it is, it just looks weird on my head compared to friends' helmets (Specialized, Bell, etc). It's just not as low profile as the pictures I saw made me believe it was. I don't know why companies can't make low profile helmets that have good ventilation...

Maybe my head is just shaped weird?

I agree about the return policy, especially as this is a rather expensive helmet. Unfortunately no bike shops within 100 miles seemed to have one in stock for me to try on first, so I took a chance based on all the great reviews I read. Oh well, I guess it's really no biggy, I'm just being silly.
    Tarekith.com

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    I love how comfy and ventilated it is, it just looks weird on my head compared to friends' helmets (Specialized, Bell, etc). It's just not as low profile as the pictures I saw made me believe it was. I don't know why companies can't make low profile helmets that have good ventilation...

Maybe my head is just shaped weird?

I agree about the return policy, especially as this is a rather expensive helmet. Unfortunately no bike shops within 100 miles seemed to have one in stock for me to try on first, so I took a chance based on all the great reviews I read. Oh well, I guess it's really no biggy, I'm just being silly.
    Be thankful it fits the shape of your head and you can wear it. That's a great helmet - have a friend that has one and I find it looks great - being that it fits this way I expect it'll give you more protection on a fall - even if it moves being so deep you'll still get protection. If you want to maybe make it sit a bit higher try adding a bit of padding inside the top.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Actually I want it to sit lower, it's too high IMO.
    Tarekith.com

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

dumb answer--

make yourself shorter and it will sit lower---sorry I couldn't resist. Actually when i first saw the xen in the cats I didnt care 4 it.

Actually I want it to sit lower, it's too high IMO.

mtbr member
    Side view, the goofy face I was making in the first picture is my fiance's fault...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Ok, here's a pic of the helmet, is the size/height normal? Like I said, this is my first helmet, so I'm just not sure.
    Last edited by Tarekith; 07-30-2005 at 05:49 AM.
    Tarekith.com

dirty trail dog
    It looks fine to me. My Specialized sits alot higher than that. But my head is friggin huge.

If it feels comfy and does its job, who cares, right?

MTB B'dos
    Side view, the goofy face I was making in the first picture is my fiance's fault...
    Weird, the guy I know who has one his helmet fits a lot further down the back of his head I think you bought the wrong size. What size is it? In Bell's helmet sizing I'm right at the border for M and L, (tad bigger than M) but I get the L and cinch it in, fits nice. Maybe this is also your problem
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nah man, it fits fine on the inside, very comfy (size L as well). My head is right up against the inside top of the helmet, but it's not too big or anything. Just looks really big!

Oh well, I guess my new nickname will be mushroom head
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    I guess it's just my head, went to the LBS last night to try on other brands of helmets for comparison, and they all sat like that. Now, how do I remove my ugly mug from this page?
    Tarekith.com