Your disco is weak!

Does Lycra/Spandex help with cramping & muscle pulls?

I've been getting lingering twitches & pains (not normal lactic soreness) in my hamstring & groin lately. The pain/twitching sensation intensifies when I do sprints and I feel like I'm at the verge of a massive cramp or muscle pull. The only thing I can do is to slow down & ride it out. I've been doing plenty of stretching & warming up but that's only helped a bit. Anyone know if a tight wrap/ or spandex will help? Seems kind of counter-intuitive as something tight would only restrict blood flow to the muscles...
    [SIZE=1]* Disclaimer: The author of the above post is not liable for his views and opinions... especially when written under the influence of beer.
    [/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRiddler
    I've been getting lingering twitches & pains (not normal lactic soreness) in my hamstring & groin lately. The pain/twitching sensation intensifies when I do sprints and I feel like I'm at the verge of a massive cramp or muscle pull. The only thing I can do is to slow down & ride it out. I've been doing plenty of stretching & warming up but that's only helped a bit. Anyone know if a tight wrap/ or spandex will help? Seems kind of counter-intuitive as something tight would only restrict blood flow to the muscles...
    it's unlikely that either lycra shorts or a wrap will help. my uneducated guess is that you may have strained the muscle. if this is the case, the only thing that will help is rest.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There's something to be said for spandex for pulls, but I don't think it's relevant. I use spandex shorts for ultimate frisbee (my sporting mistress), and they help immensely with preventing quad, ham, and groin pulls - but I think it's a completely different thing. In ultimate, the spandex keeps my legs from cooling down on the sideline, which means that when something traumatic happens on the field, my muscles are still warm and loose and thus more resilient.

First off, bike muscle injuries are different. Second, as rt said it sounds like you need recovery, not prevention.

Your disco is weak!
    Yeah... I'm guessing I have a light pull/strain, since I can feel a slight pain & twitching just sitting at work. Anyone know if you're supposed to stretch a strained muscle?
    [SIZE=1]* Disclaimer: The author of the above post is not liable for his views and opinions... especially when written under the influence of beer.
    [/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    Yeah... I'm guessing I have a light pull/strain, since I can feel a slight pain & twitching just sitting at work. Anyone know if you're supposed to stretch a strained muscle?
    i'd recommend massage over stretching for a strained muscle. you don't want the muscle to tighten up but you also don't want to do further damage to the muscle. if you do stretch make sure the muscle is warm first. light stretching in the shower might help to loosen it up.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]