mtbr member

Does anyone here use helmet covers for cold weather/rain?

I want to know how useful it is to have one in terms of blocking wind and rain, thus keeping your head warm. I also plan on using a thermal beanie underneath the helmet. Is this setup overkill?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    I want to know how useful it is to have one in terms of blocking wind and rain, thus keeping your head warm. I also plan on using a thermal beanie underneath the helmet. Is this setup overkill?
    Never. Too hot. At most, I use a Buff under my helmet down to 0F.

I am also "that guy" that prefers helmets with "fewer" vents even on 100F days and never rides without a helmet on my head
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    There was a 60 mile enduro race here in Az about a month ago. Rare, but rained all day and was in upper 40's, low 50's. Very cold for us and many really strong riders dropped out due to wet and cold. One rider who completed the 60 miles picked up cheap clear plastic disposable shower cap at the local supermarket before the ride. That thing turned out to be well worth it as when the raind started falling she put it over the helmet. Probably sealed in heat and keep rain water out. She also had thermal beanie under the helmet.

AES McDowell 60
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Muffinhead, that is what I have. I love layers so I can control my comfort depending on the conditions and my condition.

mtbr member
    Alright, I've decided to get one, along with the beanie
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches