mtbr member
    Feb 2012

New question here. Does all Giro helmets fit the same?

I tried a Giro Phase and the helmet fit me perfectly. Best fit ever. This is however the only Giro helmet I have tried, but I was wondering if all other Giro helmets has the same fit as the Phase? The Hex is the most relevant of course, but any relevant information is welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    In my experience, no. I have found helmets to fit differently among many brands, including Giro. Although the Hex fits me very well, other Giro helmets don't fit as well. I won't buy any helmet without trying it on first to see if it fits and is comfortable.

Competent User

Does all Giro helmets fit the same?

No. I have a Feature and love it, but I've returned Giro helmets before that didn't feel comfortable at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I need some help along the same lines. I love my old Giro Eclipse, but it's well past its recommended lifespan. I went to my LBS to look at the new Atmos, but they had none in stock. They did have the Aeon and Saros. Which fits more like the Atmos? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've had three Giro helmets (Helios, Indicator, and Rift). All seemed to fit about the same. That's not saying all do, but at least those three did.

EDIT: Ah, crap. Didn't notice the OP was from May.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by HTswede View Post
    I I love my old Giro Eclipse, but it's well past its recommended lifespan.
    I think your helmet is still fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. The helmet is about 13 years old and the pads are deteriorating. It's time.

Save Jesus
    Get a foam pad replacement kit directly from the manufacturer.
    If the styrofoam is not crumbling or cracked, it is still fine.

Main excuse to buy a new helmet is if it is vented better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I may look into replacing the foam pads. I need to ensure that the styrofoam is in top shape since I've been through some concussions in the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    In my experience, no. I have found helmets to fit differently among many brands, including Giro. Although the Hex fits me very well, other Giro helmets don't fit as well. I won't buy any helmet without trying it on first to see if it fits and is comfortable.
    I agree that the best bet is to try on every helmet before purchasing, but many people won't have that option due to limited models at their LBS. Instead, they can only ask others (like MTBR ) and order one, then see if they have to send it back.

I have a mid-oval head with a pointy crown and it's a real pain to get a helmet that fits right. Consistently I find that Suomy MX and sportbike helmets fit well, and I've not had a problem with 3 Specialized bicycle helmets.

Most Giro helmets do not fit me; it feels like they are made for round heads. But I do own one, which fit much differently than their others: a Remedy DH helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. I may look into replacing the foam pads. I need to ensure that the styrofoam is in top shape since I've been through some concussions in the past.
    Concussions in that helmet? Usually, if you hit your head like that, you replace the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Why take the chance seriously? Some poster on here tells you your 13 year old helmet is fine and you're all good with it?

No insult meant beanbag, but where is your area of expertise that you have any actual knowledge in the materials used in the helmet and its useful lifespan?

It may be total BS when they set a lifespan on a helmet or it might be true, but it's your head you're talking about, replace the dam helmet and be sure!
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to replace the helmet. (I was not considering just replacing the pads. I was trying to be diplomatic since I'm new to the forum.) My issue is just sizing. My LBS doesn't have the Atmos in stock but had several other Giros.

And no, the concussions were not with this helmet; not even from cycling. I definitely would have replaced the helmet had it been in an accident. However, I try to be extra careful with the noggin now.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Save Jesus
    First, this website:
    When to Replace a Helmet?

And then, some common sense.
    Think about it - what function does a helmet provide?
    1) provide cushioning in the case of impact. So does EPS foam biodegrade? No, it does not. Does it degrade under sunlight, or in the heat of a parked car? No, it does not. If the foam doesn't crumble, or get squished easily, it is fine and continues to provide cushioning.

2) Not break apart in the case of impact. The helmet has an endo-skeleton that hold it together. Does it biodegrade? No it does not. Does the foam crack apart when you tug on it?

3) The straps shouldn't break off. Use common sense and check them.

I have an 8 year old Giro Animas that I leave in my hot parked car. It appears to be fine and I use it with complete confidence. The most severe crash I had was landing on my face, where the helmet didn't do anything anyway.

mtbr member
    I have the Giro Xen (3 helmets) and Giro Hex (2 helmets). almost same fit. But when I tired the new Giro Xar....way too different.... My helmets are medium-sized.