mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Do you wear a bell?

I've just started mountain biking again after a 20ish year hiatus. Trails are much more crowded than they used to be and I've run a few folks wearing a bell and I have to admit: they work. I can hear them coming quite a ways off. Yesterday I nearly had a head-on (neither of us was wearing a bell).

Where do I buy a mini cowbell? I've never seen them in store. What bell do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Some outdoorsy stores, such as REI, sell "bear bells". They're ball-shaped bells with a cord that you can attach to your backpack or bike. It looks like they're on Amazon.com too.

I use a handlebar bell, the Incredibell. It's the kind with the little thumb-flipper. I'll ring it if I'm coming around a corner or over a hill on a hiking trail. People seem to appreciate the warning, but with the prevalence of headphones now, it's hard to rely on any one method of warning.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm running a swiss sheep bell - I think its a 2", for trails where I may encounter hikers. I have it suspended off my seat rails with a rubber strap - plenty loud and nice tone. Makes me smile.

Kegor

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In San Luis Obispo, the CCCMB has created a bells for bikes program. At several multi use trails in the area, they have boxes with size 00 Cowbells that you can borrow. You can donated to them as well if you keep the bell. I googled 00 cowbell and I found this site.. Cowbell - Bell Outlet They aren't expensive. A little strip of Velcro keeps mine secured to my seat rail..

Nickel Havr
    +1 on the bear bell....

I'll rock one on tight singletrack where the sight lines are tight.
    Keep in mind though... Trail runners likely have headphones in and won't hear you coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Where I ride handlebar bells are not that uncommon. Never seen anyone riding with a bear bell jingling all the time. I think the noise would bug me too much to do that.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be riding multi-use trails any differently with a bell than you would without. It's not the hiker's responsibility to scramble out of my way, but still I see lots of riders dinging their bell as they bomb into blind corners. Putting an air horn on my shopping cart wouldn't make me any less of a jackass if I do my grocery shopping at a dead run.

Nickel Havr
    My bear bell has a magnet that can silence the bell...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Where I ride handlebar bells are not that uncommon. Never seen anyone riding with a bear bell jingling all the time. I think the noise would bug me too much to do that.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be riding multi-use trails any differently with a bell than you would without. It's not the hiker's responsibility to scramble out of my way, but still I see lots of riders dinging their bell as they bomb into blind corners. Putting an air horn on my shopping cart wouldn't make me any less of a jackass if I do my grocery shopping at a dead run.
    Should anyone wear headphones that impairs their ability to hear a bell, or a verbal warning has in effect given up their R.O.W.
    When shopping, it's not my fault if you run into my cart while on your smartphone.
    That being said, please share a video of your next full tilt shopping trip.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Should anyone wear headphones that impairs their ability to hear a bell, or a verbal warning has in effect given up their R.O.W.
    Yeah, I mean I guess that's how some people see it, right? Hikers have the right-of-way, but we get to decide that they have forfeit that right because they're wearing headphones, even though they're allowed to wear headphones and no one ever told them about our clever new rule. So now if I run into them at 20 mph on my bike it's their fault not mine. Right?

I don't think many land-managers, or jurors, see it that way, so maybe I'll just stick to taking corners like a non-jackass instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    That being said, please share a video of your next full tilt shopping trip.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll definitely post if I do.

mtbr member
    Sorry, OP, didn't mean to derail your thread. Hopefully you got the feedback you need on where to buy. REI sells a bear bell with silencer that might be what you're looking for, too:

Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer at REI.com