Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Do You Really need Gloves?

Do you use gloves when riding???
    Why do you use gloves? safety? comfortable? or just like 'whoaa i really look cool with this gloves'? or because you really need it without reasons?

mtbr member
    The 2 reasons I use them are for sweat and protection when you eat it.

pin it
    It's rare to see someone riding without gloves

Some of the main reasons:

Protection: to prevent chafing and blisters, caused by the grip on the handlebars. Padded gloves, will lessen handlebar palsy, or ulnar neuropathy, which is that tingling and numbness resulting from pressure on the ulnar nerve in the hand and wrist.

Better grip

Warmth in winter

Safety: gloves can lessen some injuries like skin abrasions, from scraping against trees and rocks.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Unconfirmed: had a friend tell me your sweat can break down the grip compound. So in addition to what has been mentioned you may also go through grips faster.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    actually i use gloves sometime..it useful to sweep the sweat hahaha..

but it seems that I have to buy the better gloves..maybe something with gel..

mtbr member

Re: Do You Really need Gloves?

Protection... Watched a buddy go down slowly in a technical rocky patch and tear off a finger nail.

Preference... Better grip and more comfort.

Gloves for me.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Protection... Watched a buddy go down slowly in a technical rocky patch and tear off a finger nail.

Preference... Better grip and more comfort.

Gloves for me.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.
    wow..i think i'll use gloves now..
    what happen to that buddy then?

Trailhead Poseur
    For me, gloves are a necessity. Some of the singletrack where I ride is so narrow that my hands run through the bushes on either side. Without gloves, my fingers were getting all cut up.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

local trails rider
    Protection. I know I'm going to fall or crash again. Having sand and sticks embedded in the palms or fingers is not fun.

In cold weather, the warmth is an obvious thing.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    my hands sweat too much not to use them. slippery grips are not good.

mtbr member
    Yeah this isn't even a question for mtb. It's like a helmet, required kit. Ride long enough and you WILL wash out or otb and you will be glad you don't have to pick rocks out of your shredded hand flesh.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Have you ever tried to wipe your ass when both of your hands are rolled in gauze bandages?

The idea of wearing gloves when one rides begins to make incredible sense when one reaches this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    One time I rode without gloves and slipped off the grip(sweaty hands) on a rocky downhill. Saved it somehow but hurt pretty bad.

mtbr member
    They came in pretty handy for this crash. Imagine how much more painful this would have been without gloves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Really need Gloves?-glove.jpg  

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    They came in pretty handy for this crash. Imagine how much more painful this would have been without gloves.
    Similar thing to happened to my husband after crashing into a cactus, while riding in the Osoyoos BC. Some needles pierced through the gloves... it could have been worse if he didn't wear them.

In addition to other comments some people wear gloves in spin class and on trainers.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I personally do not wear gloves except for the winter when the cold is gonna bother me. That's generally around the 45-50 degree mark, but that's due to the wind chill mostly, once it's colder I wear them for sure. I work with my hands and work outside, so I suppose that my hands are not as sensitive as others that don't have the same exposure though. A bang, knick and or scratch just doesn't seem to even register to me as a even remotely a concern. I don't have problems holding my grips either.

To me, gloves are just one more piece of kit that needs to be fiddled when I'm squeezing a ride into precious time.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    To me, gloves are just one more piece of kit that needs to be fiddled when I'm squeezing a ride into precious time.
    Me too! Forget wearing shoes either, barefoot or flip flops are best to get the longest amount of ride time. My tires are generally at around 5-10 psi cause I never have time to pump them up, too busy riding!

Kidding aside, putting gloves on is time consuming? Maybe you need to find a pair that fits you better. I work with my hands a lot too but like someone mentioned tight single track with branches hitting my fingers and fingernails is not fun for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Yeah this isn't even a question for mtb. It's like a helmet, required kit.

I think this as a blanket statement is silly. Gloves are way more important for road riding than most xc mountain riding because in general pavement is harder on palms than dirt. If you mostly ride downhill and your bike routinely leaves the ground several feet below you then sure, wear them. If not, do what you want.

I've been riding trail bikes off and on for my entire life and have rarely worn gloves except for warmth. I don't wear shin guards and back braces either.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think this as a blanket statement is silly. Gloves are way more important for road riding than most xc mountain riding because in general pavement is harder on palms than dirt. If you mostly ride downhill and your bike routinely leaves the ground several feet below you then sure, wear them. If not, do what you want.

I've been riding trail bikes off and on for my entire life and have rarely worn gloves except for warmth. I don't wear shin guards and back braces either.
    I will make it, too. I do not care want surface I am riding--or crashing--on. Gloves are simple effective protection. Like a helmet, they can make the difference between riding out and walking out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've ridden road bikes for over 20 yrs & I think I've only had one crash! Now on the MTB I can't recall how many times I've gone down & gloves definitely help with saving skin on your hands. In my opinion gloves are mandatory equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I never ride without gloves now. I did when I was younger, but my hands would get nasty callouses, blisters, and patches of detached skin by the end of summer. I would wear gloves to prevent all of that alone, but the protection against vegetation and abrasions is also big. I put gloves in the same category as a helmet and padded shorts. I wouldn't ride without them.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I will make it, too. I do not care want surface I am riding--or crashing--on. Gloves are simple effective protection. Like a helmet, they can make the difference between riding out and walking out.

A helmet can make the difference between living or dying, brain function or flatline. It seems rather dramatic to compare the protection of a helmet to that of gloves which can prevent a cut.

I'm sure it could happen but it's hard for me to imagine a situation that not wearing gloves will cause me to have to walk my bike instead of riding it. They won't prevent a broken wrist or finger.

I think wearing gloves is smart. I recommend them, I just don't like wearing them, and I don't think they are absolute necessary equipment for riding like a helmet, and a bicycle are.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I've ridden road bikes for over 20 yrs & I think I've only had one crash! Now on the MTB I can't recall how many times I've gone down & gloves definitely help with saving skin on your hands. In my opinion gloves are mandatory equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had my share of OTB's as well and I've spilled a lot more blood from my knees, elbows, shoulders, etc. than I have from my hands but I guess I'm blessed.

Well there you have it OP, gloves are not only necessary, they are mandatory!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

A helmet can make the difference between living or dying, brain function or flatline. It seems rather dramatic to compare the protection of a helmet to that of gloves which can prevent a cut.

I'm sure it could happen but it's hard for me to imagine a situation that not wearing gloves will cause me to have to walk my bike instead of riding it. They won't prevent a broken wrist or finger.

I think wearing gloves is smart. I recommend them, I just don't like wearing them, and I don't think they are absolute necessary equipment for riding like a helmet, and a bicycle are.

I've had my share of OTB's as well and I've spilled a lot more blood from my knees, elbows, shoulders, etc. than I have from my hands but I guess I'm blessed.

Well there you have it OP, gloves are not only necessary, they are mandatory!
    In more cases, a helmet can make the difference between having a minor head bump and being knocked out. Riding out and walking or being carried out.

Tear up your hands and you can not grip the bars to ride. Then you are walking out. Seen it. Had it happen. Others have already mentioned it.

Gloves are cheap insurance.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yup, Shiggy says true.

To illustrate the point even further, I do some aggressive riding every now and then. I crashed one time hitting a double, crashing face first (wearing a full face). My speed was such that I slid forward quite a bit. The forward movement ripped off my Dakine slip-on gloves from my hands.

When I stood up, I had one glove off and the back of my hands had chunks missing from them. The two knuckles close to the pinky, the big muscle between the pointer and the thumb lost a good bit, and a lot of skin off my wrist. I'm looking at the scars right now.

From then on, Ive started buying gloves with wrist straps to keep them on in a crash. When I go aggro, I use carbon knuckled gloves with a sturdy strap.

mtbr member

Re: Do You Really need Gloves?

I've never worn gloves. I've always had a hard time finding ones that fit. I don't have problems with grip or sweat, and I don't worry about getting them cut up or anything. They're so calloused that I can hardly get any more.
    That being said, the more my skills progress, the more I want some gloves for "just in case". Losing skin on the back of your hand from swiping a tree hurts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast