mtbr member

Do more expensive jerseys smell (stink) less?

Some roadies once told me that cheap jerseys are more likely to develop "the perma-funk". Any truth to this? I've only bought cheap jerseys such as Performance and Hoss, never paying more than $10 so I wouldn't know if the grass is greener... My wife has been on me about the stank, although the sanitary cycle seems to have momentarily killed it in one jersey and my camelbak. I know that funk is caused by the oils/heavy sweat left behind in the evaporation. Does it wash out better in more expensive gear?

Thanks in advance,
    WC

Oh and I do use sports wash

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The one experience I have with cheap is this under armor heat gear shirt that I'll normally wear for multitude of activities. One of them has started to really smell no matter what I wash it with or for how long. Its old so I've got my monies worth at this point.. I have a couple merino wool shirts really thin that can go multiple runs without washing and still don't stink. Material I would say has a lot to do with it.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a disinfect cycle on my washer. It uses extremely hot water. Gets rid of the funk. The hazard there is that your gear can melt, so take it for what it is worth.

One Gear
    I stopped buying "cheap" jerseys 6 years ago. I do buy nice jerseys only when they are on sale. Right now, stock up for winter. And as soon as fall comes, get some summer jerseys on sale.

I picked up some Endura jerseys last winter that were $89 on sale for $25. They're simple black with minimal logos. They look good on the road and in the woods. Keep an eye on Real Cyclist, the sales are great. Voler also has good jerseys that go on sale periodically.

None of them stink once they have been washed. Cold water cycle with Tide and the rest of the normal wash. Same with quality shorts.

Good luck

Grams Light Bikes
    Yes, they do stink less. Better materials and design help.

Please don't use hot water though, it ruins high tech gear, cold works fine, and no fabric softener. Most washers and detergents don't need high temps to clean and deodorize fabrics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Only thing that stinks less is merino wool. Find a better deodorant!
    agmtb

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Merino wool is amazing for anti-stink, but does hold onto moisture more than synthetics.

I can wear my Smartwool socks for a week and they don't stink. They are all I wear anymore. Hard to find Merino jerseys for cheap, so I just wear regular shirts. Check steepandcheap.com, the non-biking version of . They pretty regularly have merino stuff. Icebreaker and smartwool are fantastic, no experience with the house brand "stoic". Make sure you get the real lightweight versions 200g/m or lighter. I try to stick to 150g/m "microweight" stuff to reduce the heat factor. I will wear wool up to 100 degrees in the desert southwest. After that point I migrate north...

mtbr member
    Im warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot with merino wool, and even the socks dont stink! If it wasnt hideously expensive, Id only ride in it.

Some of my cheap jerseys dont smell, and some reek intolerably. Theres gotta be a certain fabric blend that makes them bad.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Merino wool does stink less and it is more expensive.

When my synthetic jerseys develop permastink I soak them in white vinegar/water mix (not sure of the ratio) for a few hours, rinse, then wash normally. This cures the problems for a couple months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Find a better deodorant!
    It's not that. It's usually on the shoulders and back from the camelbak. Oh and the camebak stinks too, but i'm not sure which is the culprit since they both stink.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah.. merino is the route to go... I have a few of their house brand "stoic" shirts and wouldn't trade them for synthetic anything. I think mine are 200 weight. Comfy no itch and no smell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by On3_kn0WN View Post
    Yeah.. merino is the route to go... I have a few of their house brand "stoic" shirts and wouldn't trade them for synthetic anything. I think mine are 200 weight. Comfy no itch and no smell.
    I have a few brands of merino and am a big advocate. Ibex is the best. Icebreaker and Smartwool are quality. I/O Bio almost but slightly thinner. Patagonia makes good shirts but don't like their sweaters, looser knit.
    I bought 2 Stoic shirts, they are effective but it's the itchiest of any merino product I've ever tried, lower quality, less fine hair wool.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I put a few capfuls of hydrogen peroxide in with my tech fabric cloths. Used to get the perma-funk smell before someone passed this trick on to me. Note - do not mix with bleach - just makes salt water.

SamIAm
    just spend enough to get wool. used smartwool icebreaker+redram. slightly different cuts/weights/roughness but the worst of wool is better than the best of the rest
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Any performance fabric made of polyester will stink. Price doesn't have any effect. Even if it smells ok right out of the wash, once you put it on, your body heat will reactivate the bacteria and the smell will come back. There are detergents made specially for this. I've been using Sport-Wash, but it's expensive, about $10 for a small bottle. It does help though. The trick is to kill those bacteria that thrive on your body oils. I've heard of the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide methods, but never tried them. I've also heard freezing your clothes in the freezer for 24 hours will kill the bacteria, that a regular detergent won't remove. haven't tried that one either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Borax will help too. Some jerseys have an anti stink treatment, but that will eventually wash out.

Certain brands have nano silver fibres weaved into the fabric, it works well. The silver repels the bacteria.

Still, nothing beats merino wool.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    Any performance fabric made of polyester will stink. Price doesn't have any effect. Even if it smells ok right out of the wash, once you put it on, your body heat will reactivate the bacteria and the smell will come back. There are detergents made specially for this. I've been using Sport-Wash, but it's expensive, about $10 for a small bottle. It does help though. The trick is to kill those bacteria that thrive on your body oils. I've heard of the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide methods, but never tried them. I've also heard freezing your clothes in the freezer for 24 hours will kill the bacteria, that a regular detergent won't remove. haven't tried that one either.
    White vinegar is the best and cheapest option. The acetic acid kills bacteria and doesn't harm fabrics. Bleach can damage your clothes.

Freezing won't help...most bacteria just become dormant when frozen, not dead.

Use a cup or two of white vinegar in water in the soak cycle with your stuff, then wash as normal. White vinegar is really really cheap too.

mtbr member
    Don't let you clothes soak in your funk. I usually hand wash my clothes after my ride while in the shower with woolite and white vinegar. I've got synthetic jerseys that are several years old and don't stink.