Gotta pay to play

Dirt Devil Swellbo guard and Davey Jones Knee Pad review

Friends,

Just received delivery of these elbow and knee pads. I'll be riding with them for 3-4 hours tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday the 4th. There are no forum threads about these Dirt Devil pads so I thought I would post a review with pics.

I got them from HuckNRoll. $27.97 for the elbows and $48.97 for the knees. I was looking at the POC guards but the Dirt Devils were half the price and to be honest, I kinda like the crazy color scheme.

The knee pads are kind of a teal with black and white stripes that reminds me of the movie BettleJuice or Nightmare Before Christmas.

They have a hard cup that fits over the knee (this is covered by cloth/neoprene) and heavily padded sections above and below the side of the knee. I used the directions of the website and came up as a Large fitting, this was the size that I ordered, and they fit fine in my bedroom. I'm actually wearing them right now as I type and I don't really feel that they are on. Of course, tomorrow will be a better evaluation. The elastic/Velcro straps fit fine, maybe a tad bit to large but 80% of the Velcro connects.

The elbow pads are a purple color with the black and white jail stripes on the opposite pattern from the knee pads. Unlike the knee pads they do not have hard cups, just very thick padding at the joint and less thick padding around the elbow. They did not have a measuring chart on the website. I ended up going large because: 1) My legs were considered large (and I have chicken legs). 2) My biceps are pretty big compared to the rest of my body, I do tons of pull ups every day, hand stand push ups, and lift Kettlebells. 3) None of the reviews on their website indicated that the sizing was weird.

Once I put them on I realized that I may have gone too large. The sleeve actually seems to fit fine, and when I wiggle my arm the pads don't drop. But the Velcro/Elastic straps do not connect- they are wayyyyy to large. Something is fishy.

It could have just been a frustration but the elbow pads also seemed way more uncomfortable then the knees. They felt too tight honestly, which seems to conflict with the overabundance of straps. They also seemed really hot, even wearing them in my room made me feel uncomfortable, and I was eager to get them off

So tomorrow I'll know better if the knee pads are as comfortable as they seem and if I need to either return the elbow pads for the smaller pair, or have a seamstress adjust the Velcro straps.

Stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Devil Swellbo guard and Davey Jones Knee Pad review-img_20110701_222141.jpg  

Dirt Devil Swellbo guard and Davey Jones Knee Pad review-img_20110701_222820.jpg  

Gotta pay to play
    Just a follow up:

Ridden about 6 times and probably about 50 miles with the pads now

Knees are awesome. Fit great and I hardly know that they are on. Great value.

Elbows suck, they are way to big and I'm going to return them for the smaller pair. I'll update when I get the small ones.

usually cranky
    are the knee pads lower profile than the 661 straits?

Gotta pay to play
    Never tried on the Straits so I can't compare.