pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

differences in shamy/lycra shorts?

Hope none of my friends see this post.....

It's time for me to buy some lycra/cycling shorts. I ride in the woods and I guess I need some padded shorts. (maybe a new seat, I dunno)

Is there a difference in the pads in shorts? I see Jensen has shorts for 15 bucks or so and some are well over $100.00.

What should I be looking for when buying shorts? I rode for less than two hours yesterday (standing/sitting) and my crotch bones are more sore than they have ever been. (i've been riding for years, so maybe this new seat sucks but I usually spend most of my time standing)

thoughts, suggestions, hate mail?

I4NI
    Cant explain it but this is one area where I dont skimp. My body thanks meGood saddle and shorts
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    After reading around a bit, I think buying the best is a good idea.

Aero Tech Designs seem good.

Do you have a suggestion for shorts/seats that you like?

I4NI
    I've had good luck with the six six one elite bomber shorts(I've got six pair) but I'm sure they are better out there.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Yes, that's fonetic
    There are also lots of padded liners out there that you may want to look at which allow you to wear any type of shorts, although cycling specific shorts tend to be made w/o the seams in the wrong places (i.e. right down the taint). I'll second the "you get what you pay for" notion. The difference in comfort between the top and bottom tier shorts is significant.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj View Post
    After reading around a bit, I think buying the best is a good idea.

Aero Tech Designs seem good.

Do you have a suggestion for shorts/seats that you like?
    I've gone through all kinds of brand and price ranges... the AreoTechDesigns basic one for 30 buck have come out ahead every time, comfort, price and out last the pricy ones.

I never liked the "baggies" as the liner always seemed to shimmy to one side of my butt

but hate people who think it's cool to show everyone their fruit bowl.. just not needed in MTB.. Road bike racing.. where areo is important I can see it, but MTB you're just not doing the speed that it matters.. I throw and old pair of sweat pants over them that are cut-offs now. also help protect the lycra's from getting ripped on the random stick passer by.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    keep an eye on chainlove.com, since they merged back with bonktown there are lots of lycra bibs popping up on closeout. Bibs are great because the waist doesn't have to be as tight and the pad never slips out of position. If you're too modest to rock just lycra, just throw on some mesh soccer shorts over top and you're good to go.

informant
    I've tried chamois' of all shapes, sizes and price points. For me, anything by Louis Garneau is my personal preference. Even their lower-end chamois feel better than some much more expensive options I've tried from Castelli, Performance or Santini. Every rider is shaped differently, though. My advice would be to start with a reasonably priced mid-level chamois. Chainlove is a great place to find a deal FWIW.
    Quality bike lights for after-dark trail adventurers.
    www.LuminTrek.com

mtbr member
    Can someone please explain Chainlove? I went to the site to search for bike pants and there is only one page with sunglasses on it. Is this some crazy site where there is one product offered at a time or something?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    Can someone please explain Chainlove? I went to the site to search for bike pants and there is only one page with sunglasses on it. Is this some crazy site where there is one product offered at a time or something?
    that's exactly it..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just like woot.com but for cycling. Awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    Can someone please explain ? I went to the site to search for bike pants and there is only one page with sunglasses on it. Is this some crazy site where there is one product offered at a time or something?
    Chainlove's parent sites are hucknroll.com and backcountry.com which are owned by Liberty Media (owner of QVC and a number of other large retailers..) Its basically the e-bike shop concept done at the corporate level with an already in place distribution system. They ship fast and often have good prices. Customer service is very good as well.

If you want to shop for pants go to hucknroll.com (or a number of other online retailers).

mtbr member
    Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate the information.

Helmetless Crasher
    Just got a pair of Cannondale quick shorts from REI. Very comfortable chamois. Nice light weight shorts w/ soft feeling material and great fit. Nice sale going on right now, too!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two