mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Diadora Polaris winter boots

I've searched for reviews w/ no luck. Anyone using them? Would like to get some feedback on sizing and comparison to similar offerings. I'm also looking at the Shimano Mw81. TIA.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    I've just bought the Shimano MW81's and have had them out on 6 rides in temps from 28 degrees to 46 with only a pair of Defeet Woolie Boolie socks and out for up to 2 hours on the coldest ride and my feet were cozy. I wear a size 45 in Sidi Dominators and my feet measure out right at 11 inches and very narrow. I sized up to a 47 in the Shimano's and am glad I did. There is no way my feet would have fit in 45 Shimano's, may have been ok with the 46's but the 47's are great. I did go to a local bike shop and tried on some other Shimano's as they didn't have the MW81's and 45's fit perfect so don't go off this if you do the same thing as the MW81's seem to be sized different. Good luck

mtbr member
    I got the Shimano MW-81 in a size 48 (largest size) and they do run small. I wore them 4-5 times and I now have tendonitis in my right foot and I'd have to say it was these boots that caused it. My doctor said to stretch out the shoe and see if that helps.
    I love them because my feet stay warm and dry . I always get cold feet in the winter riding months and I would really like them to work.

Woody

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ^^^ thanks. Looks like the Diadora isn't a popular choice. Shimanos it is....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's also Lake, Specialized, others to look at...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    I've searched for reviews w/ no luck. Anyone using them? Would like to get some feedback on sizing and comparison to similar offerings. I'm also looking at the Shimano Mw81. TIA.
    Diadora Polaris are not too good unfortunately. I've been using them from November and conclusions are:
    Sole is pretty stiff (plus) and multiped system doesnt make troubles (plus)
    Diatex membrane they're made from is bad. Around 7-8 gradesCelsius (sunny day, dry conditions) my feets are wet because the membrane doesnt breathe like Windtex or Goretex probably.
    Around 0-3 Celsius pretty komfortable although they have a hole around cleats mounting - so cleats are not isolated in 100 % as they should.
    Today -5 degrees, cloudy, my feets have started freezing after around 1 hour of ride. I used cross bicycle, pretty high cadenze, speed from 15 to 28 km/h, had wool/thermo socks no overshoes. So go for Shimano MW 81 (although their sole is not so stiff - can bend it in the hand). Who is really interested in heavier but very solid shoe should check out Vaude Thermatic - german shoes with primaloft isolation and sympatec membrane with isolated cleats. Their sole is bombproof either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Paulsen, thanks for that helpful review. I ended up w/ Shimanos. 'tried the MW81 and found the boot cuffs a bit restricting and altogether a tad heavy so I ended up with the Shimano XC50N. With toe warmers and regular dri-fit socks, they're warm enough in 2-3 hours trail time in the 30-40 F range. I don't go riding below 30 F (0 Celsius). Also, I needed a size bigger on MW81 but not on the XC50N.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    . I ended up w/ Shimanos. 'tried the MW81 and found the boot cuffs a bit restricting and altogether a tad heavy .
    I've heard from one guy here in Poland about some cuffs issues i mean there was tendency in some pairs to tearing off the cuff during daily use. Dont know if it regarded 2011/2012 production series or later. Heard some rumour that it was caused by some troubles with Goretex material. Maybe its fixed.
    It seems that there is no choice - heavy but reliable pair of shoes with full insulation or more closed construction summer shoes with overshoes. Greetings.

mtbr member
    I just got a pair of the Polaris shoes yesterday. I haven't ridden in them yet, but initial impressions are good. I ordered my normal shoe size 47 and the fit is slightly looser than my Shimano shoes, but that leaves room for thicker socks and insoles. I bought some thick insoles from a military surplus store and cut them to fit, and that fills up the extra space along with fully insulating the bottom of the shoe from my foot. So I think in cold weather they will work well, and I will see if I have the same issues as paulsen in warmer temps. I will post a better review in a few weeks after I use the shoes a few times.

mtbr member
    I have two rides in the Diadora Polaris shoes so far. Both times it was low 20's F, and a bit snowy. The first ride my feet generally stayed warm, but I noticed some snow got in the heel part of the shoe and made my heel a bit cold. On today's ride I was able to keep snow out of the shoe, but I do notice that the upper cuff does not fit tightly around my somewhat skinny lower leg. So when pedaling, a gap opens up that can let in snow and/or cold air. Today my toes were mostly warm, they got slightly cold at one point from too much walking, but warmed up quickly once riding. Only my heel seemed a bit cold, which is less important to me than my toes. I haven't tested out if they are waterproof yet. I don't notice any sweating either, but my feet usually have problems staying warm, not getting too warm.

The shoes are definitely better than using normal summer shoes in the winter, and I haven't ever tried shoe covers because they are hard to find in my size are look like a pain to use and expensive for what they are. There are probably better winter shoes out there, but I got these on sale for $100 so I had to try them.

Diadora Polaris winter boots-484850_10100910330711908_1710886550_n.jpg

Stock insole on the left, thick military surplus insole on the right:

Diadora Polaris winter boots-4992_10100910330716898_2115774662_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm going to resurrect this old thread...what are your impressions now since you have had them for about a year? I just ordered them for about $120. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Competitive Cyclists had the Polaris 2's on closeout for $95 right after Christmas. I couldn't find many reviews either but the ones I did find were mostly positive so I took a chance and ordered a pair. I've only used them one time but so far so good. They are much warmer than my regular shoes with covers. The temperature that ride was in the mid 30's. I was out for about 2 hours wearing one pair of wool socks and my feet didn't get cold at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Diadora Polaris winter boots

I bought a pair last December. I have had no problems with the shoes. My feet stay warm and dry. I usually don't ride if it's below 20F and my winter rides are usually between 1 hour to 2 1/2 hours.