mtbr member
    Apr 2011

DH/FR Armor - Straight Pads or Hard Shells?

So I've been reviewing all types of body armor and keep getting stuck between 2 brands and 2 styles. Fox and 616 seem to have great stuff, I've never used body armor, just my full face Fox helmet but am taking it a step further this year, my Enduro is gonna be a chairlifted-rig. I'm actually leaning toward 616 because (and it may sound dumb) I Google-Imaged Downhill/Freeride Mountain Biking and noticed a lot more pros wearing SixOneSix armor. I've also read a lot of good reviews from other websites, even MTBRs reviews and the issues seem to be obvious. The slip on or straight (not sure what the proper name is for these) pads like the Fox Launch or 616 Rage, don't have the hard shell that will hold up against a bolder. I had a bad injury from a crash more than once and felt that a slip-on pad wouldn't have helped as much as a harder shell like 616 Comp or Pro pads.

Now in a perfect world I would probably get the 616 Comp (knee) pads and Fox Launch pads this way I could use the 616 pads for chairlift days and the Launch pads when pedaling may be required. The 616 Comps (or any hard shells for that matter) don't seem like they would be much fun when pedaling as where the "slip-on" pads seem more designed for pedaling and movement. So, in a real world, where you have to pick 1 for now, what would be best? Anyone who has used 616 or Fox Body Armor please let me know your experience with them. My no.1 priority is Protection, 2.Comfort, 3. Durability. Durability isn't as important because these will not be used more than maybe a dozen times over the summer. As of now I'm leaning toward the 616 Comp for knee/shin, Fox launch for elbow, 616 for wrist (just my right, it's bad) and my Fox helmet. Pressure suit may be in the future but not now, just knee/shin and elbow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I like the TLD Lopes knee and shin guard and the SE elbow guard..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure the 661 Kyle Strait and Fox Launch Pro have internal knee cups, not sure how rigid they are, but not just foam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah sorry I meant the Fox Launch PRO which does still have an internal cup but it's technically not a "hard shell" like the 661 comp.
    I think I'm gonna go with the Comps mainly because they're easy to get on and off, no sock/sleeve. I dont wanna have to take my shoes off and things like that and Im not worried about pedaling really, at least not with this setup. Maybe my AM setup.

Paste eater
    Kye straits are not-quite-hardshell, but pretty darn close. I bet they protect better then many of the crappy hardshell options, and certainly stay in place a whole lot better!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Wearing pads while riding up sucks no matter how you look at it. I have a pair of 661 pro knee/shin guards. It's a hard shell that covers the knees and shins rather thoroughly. They have taken a hell of a beating, but they are still holding up for a year now. They are usually strapped to my frame or camelbak if I'm taking them on a ride.