Weekend Warrior

Dented Helmet - When to get a new one...

I took a fall and didn't even realize that I hit my head/helmet on the rocks..... When I got home and wiped the helmet of i noticed a chunk, about the size of half a penny, missing and an inprint, about 1mm and the size of a penny.

Is the integrity of the helmet compromised? Do I need to get a new one? It seems still sturdy and fits like it used to, but if I don't have to spend $100 for another helmet I won't, if I do, i guess I have to.

Master of None
    The integrity of the helmet has been compromised. If it were mine, I would buy a new one. After all, the price of the helmet is very small compared to brain damage.

You could ask the manufacturer but I'm sure they'd tell you to buy a new one.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    If you take a hit and think "oh man, I'm glad I had a helmet on", then it's likely time to get a new one.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Weekend Warrior
    That's what I thought.... $100 for a new helmet is a bunch cheaper than a catscan...

I didn't even realized i hit my head because i was all bruised up on my hip and both legs. I guess the helmet helped me bike out of the woods and get home. I have to rethink using the helmet out on the paved trails as well as I usually don't. In the woods or any type of off-roading i do wear a helmet, always.

Thanks for the input...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Trek helmet that cost about $80, and there is a warranty on it that says if I ding it I can return it for a replacement. Can't remember If that is for a year or two or lifetime. I'll have to check when I get home. Might be worth checking out the website for whatever helmet you might have.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    I have a Trek helmet that cost about $80, and there is a warranty on it that says if I ding it I can return it for a replacement. Can't remember If that is for a year or two or lifetime. I'll have to check when I get home. Might be worth checking out the website for whatever helmet you might have.
    I don't have all the Trek helmets in front of me right now, but the models I've looked at specify a three-year life (they need to be replaced every three years). I would imagine this is the term of the warranty.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    I don't have all the Trek helmets in front of me right now, but the models I've looked at specify a three-year life (they need to be replaced every three years). I would imagine this is the term of the warranty.
    Let me see if I understand. On the ones you are looking at, they are covered for three years. If you have a fall and ding them, they "should" replace it and if nothing happens within that three years, the consumer should probably plan on replacing it themselves? That is kind of how I understood it.

FlowShizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    I took a fall and didn't even realize that I hit my head/helmet on the rocks..... When I got home and wiped the helmet of i noticed a chunk, about the size of half a penny, missing and an inprint, about 1mm and the size of a penny.

Is the integrity of the helmet compromised? Do I need to get a new one? It seems still sturdy and fits like it used to, but if I don't have to spend $100 for another helmet I won't, if I do, i guess I have to.
    Yes, the integrity of the helmet is shot. I was told that the safety rating is only until you crash on it. Most manufacturers like Fox, Giro, etc offer some sort of replacement program. Giro will give you 30% off the purchase of a new helmet. I think it's a good investment to replace your dinged up helmet.

Glad to Be Alive
    100 bucks is cheap....buy new one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

extxn
    Aug 2007

Helmet vs Brain? Cheap!

Brother, even if you throw down your brain bucket on the parking lot after a crappy ride it's done. Check online with headgear makers-ANY hard impact requires a replacement if you want to get back to full protection. Your brain-do what you want-but I'd recommend replacment without question (yeah, 100 bucks is a lot to me too, but what ya gonna do?) Be glad you had one on and are still walking upright. Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic

I had the same thing happen a few years back, Sent it to giro they sent me a replacment for a discounted price. not sure if they still do that but I would call the manufacture of your helment and check.

Members who have read this thread: 0