Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dedicated Goggles Thread

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  tartosuc 
#1 ·
Hello everybody!

As I'm getting more into mountain biking every now and then need for new piece of equipment pops up. Now, when my FF helmet is somewhere on it's way to my address, I'm considering getting goggles as well. I was searching for goggles thread but I wasn't able to find what I need.

I've read that some of you guys use snow goggles for MTB and I do have 2 pairs of Oakley goggles that I use for snowboarding but I would like to stay away from using those as cheapest lens for Crowbars and Wisdoms are more expensive then some Oakley MX goggles, and it's not a question IF but WHEN will lens get damaged on the trail.

I would like you to tell me your goggles experience and suggestions but I would also like to see your goggles pictures, maybe even goggles + helmet combo. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Some people use snow goggles, but as you pointed out, they're more expensive. They're also commonly shaped differently- bike goggles are usually not as tall since bike helmets generally come farther down your forehead. And bike goggles are designed for warm weather use, so they're more comfortable.

I have a pair of Smiths. Intakes, I think. They're good, but I'd probably buy Ryders if I were doing it over. They get uniformly good reviews from guys who should know.

I have a full-face, but seldom wear it. I wear my goggles a lot with a half-shell helmet, though. Either a Giro Xar or an Urge Endur-o-Matic. Goggles are fantastic at speed, or on late evening low-light rides. I wouldn't want to do a lot of pedaling in them, though. They're for sustained downhills.

#3 ·
Show us your helmet and goggles

Thanks for your reply evasive. I'm aware that goggles I'm going to buy will probably sit in my backpack most of the time, as I don't have much true downhill sections on my local trails and I'm, but as you said they are awesome in certain scenarios so I'll rather have them and not use them than hate myself for not having them :)

Hopefully others will join this thread as I would really like to hear opinions on different goggles brands/models as I still have time to consider other options. I'm afraid that my goggles will fog as I tend to sweat a lot. Any advices on this?

This is what I've planned, helmet already on it's way, goggles coming soon :D

SixSixOne - Comp Shifted Matte Black

Oakley MX O Frame Razors Edge Red/Black

#5 ·
Oh, I love this suggestion, and the best of all I can get them off ebay for 30$ + 5$ shipping to Bosnia. Can't get better than this.

What is your experience with fogging on these? I sweat a lot, so fogging has been quite a problem for me in snowboarding. I never wore MX goggles, only snow, and from my personal experience, Oakleys are great on the move. On the other hand MX goggles usualy don't have any anti-fog treatment on the lenses (I think), and even with huge temperature difference between body/environment on slopes and trails, I'm still concerned.

Edit: I just did some research and found out that Fuels V2 have anti-fog lens, so these could really become my first trail goggles :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Oh, good thing to know. Though, this model I've found on ebay have anti-fog lenses included, if I don't order it soon I could end up ordering it from another seller that might not have these lenses.

Also, as a bonus, these goggles could save me some cash in the long run, as with anti-fog lenses I wont have to buy clear lenses, I was planing to get for my snow goggles. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Urge Down-O-Matic and Zeal Detonator PPX (when they were newer):

Better vision, protection, and lack of fogging, compared to my Oakley+Fox Flux setup. Photochromic doesn't mean you can wear them at night, unless you have some seriously bright lights.

Harder to talk to others with it on, but a big plus is that it keeps the bugs away. Low profile, cool, and really comfy/compatible with my head shape/size.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Urge Down-O-Matic and Zeal Detonator PPX (when they were newer).
I like Down-O-Matic a lot minus those "golden" vents but that's just me :) Quality helmet like this was way out of my budget, and to be honest, I decided to buy FF only because Comp Shifted is quality helmet and I got it real cheap... 62$ + 8$ for shipping to Bosnia from US. Shipping, for anything other than cheap things from china, is usually half the price of an item, often even more. So as soon as I saw this deal I was all over it... I wasn't expecting to get a FF until next season, so now I'm excited like a little kid, bugging people on the forum to post pictures of their equipment and stuff like that :cool:

#11 ·
I've got some cheap Scott Ski goggles with a yellow lens. The lens was too light for skiing in anything but a blizzard or at night so perfect for riding. Not too expensive. I have the same 661 Helmet as you and they fit a treat. Using it for BMX racing, not downhill though.

#12 ·
You probably have High Intensity yellow lenses which are really too bright for anything but foggy/overcast and even night conditions.

My helmet arrived last week and here is the picture. Though I planned to go with Smith Fuel V2 goggles I'm getting Oakley MX O Frame Razors Edge Red/Black as a gift, so I can't really complain much to be honest no matter how they turn out to be :thumbsup:

I'm really impressed with this helmet, it's light, great quality, comfortable and it doesn't seem too hot (though I haven't wore it on trails yet and cannot say how it will perform on this matter)... And for around 60-70$ I don't think you can go wrong with this helmet as your first FF. I did some research before I bought it and I've read only good things about it. Now I can say that everything I've read was true. Only issue I have with Comp Shifted is how in the hell can I remove the liner?! SIXSIXONE advertise it as a removable but I got information that it actually is not, and I have no idea where (and how) to start trying to remove it :D

#14 ·
FWIW I have the same helmet and I've used sunglasses with it no problem. I've never used goggles, but the sunglasses stay put just fine and fit in there great. Just a thought.
Sunglasses would be a good option, specially when fogging could be a big issue with the way I sweat, unfortunateIy, I don't think I can get good a quality pair with shatter resistant lenses for 30-40$ delivered to Bosnia. :madman:

#19 ·
Cornea flows arrived today from amazon (even though they said they were out of stock earlier this week). They fit the helmet fine, but I have a small head and helmet and there is some air gap between the goggles and my face so that's doesn't bode well for them.. Going to see if I can ride tomorrow with them and see how it goes.

#22 ·
Try contacting them, they may have them to sell but just not on the site. I got a spare lens for free at crankworx this summer so they must have them. Best way to go about it if you need new ones though for someone who does not have a pair is buy the polarized and a spare clear lens, they do sell those on their site.

#23 ·
#26 ·
dont buy your googles over the internet.
Go to a MX shop and bring your helmet to try different googles..nose shape can make a big difference in fit/confort

Personnaly i can't wear googles becuse of the shape of my nose, when i put googles they get squeeze between the helmet and the bump on my nose(nose bone) wich makes it very uncomfortable and push the helmet up, i have the same problem with my ski helmet. I always used sunglasses and in work perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.