mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Decent helmet light under $200?

Looking to finally buy a light setup but don't want to spend a ton of money. Something I can ride Skyline with and not kill myself. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Sheep Fondler
    I'd check out the Jet i6 helmet light (www.jetlites.com), it's a 15 watt single beam for "moderate off road terrain", whatever that means. For more techincal stuff, check out the 20 watt Phantom single beam. It's a little out of your price range ($245), but you'll be hard pressed to find a descent light for under 2 bills.

They have a rental program, so you can try it out before you make the big purchase. I think the rental will put you out around $50, but it's better than crapping away $200 on something that doesn't work for you.

I picked up a Niterider Digital Evolution a few years ago for $200. It's worked fine for me so far, but I've yet to see a positive review posted about it... which has me a little concerned. If you find a good light for around $200, let me know, I might be in the market for a new light soon.

Good luck, and happy hunting...
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up.

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinjo
    Looking to finally buy a light setup but don't want to spend a ton of money. Something I can ride Skyline with and not kill myself. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    lol, skyline can kill you regardless of the lights you get...

at that budget, I think you need to focus a single headlamp system that is bright enough on its own. it'll be difficult to get a headlamp/handlebar combo at that price.

good news is i've seem some HID lamps (LIM and Turbocat) that seem to throw an awesome bright beam and you only need a single headlamp.

in contrast i've got 4 year old nightrider digital headtrip and the bottlecage/handlebar one, and they were > $250+ for all of the kit. I would never want to ride skyline hard with only a single lamp working... if either one failed, we're talking a slow ride home.

me, since i only have direct experience with niterider... i can't give you much more than that but if i was in the market i'd start here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Lights/index_byrating.shtml

and then focus on Jet, LIM and Turbo Cat.
    www.JORBA.org - You Dig?
    What would we do without trails? www.IMBA.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks.....

Thanks for the suggestions guys.....did some more research and looks like I might need to spend a little more than I originally wanted. I was looking at the Jet Phantom and it looks like that might be the one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinjo
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.....did some more research and looks like I might need to spend a little more than I originally wanted. I was looking at the Jet Phantom and it looks like that might be the one.
    Shop around before you buy. I'm sure there's plenty of good deals out there. I picked up a brand new niterider storm(HID) online last summer for $265. I couldn't imagine needing anything brighter than this light. I ride ringwood at night and it's plenty bright. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can get something in that range especially now that niterider came out with newer models. I would definitely recommend going HID if it's only a few bucks more. I'd also recommend going with the helmet mount if you're only gonna get one light. The bar mount is good but only lights up where the bike is pointed. Not good for switchbacks and an inconvenience when you need to fix a flat or repair your bike in the dark.