mtbr member

decent cheaper helmet

I was just wondering what people thought was a decent cheaper helmet. I used to have one but after one of the straps detached from inside I got rid of it (wasn't riding much at the time anyways) but now that I ride regularly I know I should get another (especially after pulling an indo and landing on a busy street after a truck pulled in front of me about a week or so ago)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What do you consider cheaper? I'm in love with the Giro Animas, and its almost half the price of some of the other Giro helmets, but I don't think that classifies as cheap, as its still around $150 CAD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Giro & Bell both make some fine helmets in the $40 price range.

It's "endo".

local trails rider
    Go to a shop and try before you buy.

Brackish
    I've been using Giro and Bell for the last 15 years, you can't go wrong with either brand. Lately I've been going with the Giros more, and they have very nice helmets i the $40 range. Try looking on Performance and Nashbar for some ideas, but try before you buy!

mtbr member
    I like Giros because it gives me better coverage on impact. You should try a few on an make a decision I had a fall wearing a specialized helmet. the bottome edge of the helmet cut me upon impact because the coverage was too high on my forhead.. since then I have been a lot more careful on how the helmet fits my head. so far Giro and Fox both fit me the best.

dont skimp. How much is your head worth?

mtbr member
    thanks guys and when I said cheap I was thinkin in the 20-40 dollar range. I know not to got super cheap with a helmet but when $ is a bit tight somethings better then nothing

local trails rider
    For me, the main issue with helmets is fit (assuming that everything on the market is safety certified). Finding a helmet that does not hurt my head has been a painful process... So far, I have found one Bell and one Giro that work for me. Your head might be different. Trying a helmet on, and trying to adjust it to fit, is the sure way to know.

mtbr member
    giro $39 at Wheelworld.

Two wheels are best
    I'm using a Bell Slant. I got it last year on sale for around $40.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Members who have read this thread: 0