mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A damn good pair of liner shorts...

Lots of companies make liner shorts to wear under a pair of baggies, but who makes a really high quality and comfortable pair? Looking for something that:

>Fits supremely well (many panels)
    >Durable enough for multiple seasons
    >High quality paddling
    >Ventilated and breathes well

I'm not looking for budget britches here. I'm willing to spend some money to get a quality product that will last more than one season of use.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    I've had several pairs of Pearl Izumi lycra shorts (6 panel) that I've worn under my baggies for 7 or 8 years now and still counting without any issues.

mtbr member
    I have no complaints about my $8 Chinese Arsuxeo/Sportneer/Sponeed/Baleaf/4UCycling padded underwear from Amazon. They've been durable, fit well, and are as well-padded as any pair of Pearl Izumi shorts I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Assos bibs are pretty much universally renowned as being the shiznick but unfortunately I can't personally say. They are expensive but I've heard their cheaper ones beat most other brands premium models.

I can say that Castelli's top drawer stuff is really nice but their mid-tier bibs are just so-so.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've been using Pearl Izumi liners with no complaints.

Keep on Rockin...
    Club Ride Woodchuck liners are my favorite.

As a testament, I went on a ride today, got tied up doing stuff afterward, sat down to eat, never took the shorts off yet, and still here I sit, hours later with the liners still on typing away.

While the offer great padding I've found them on the thinner side of pads - which I like. I own 2 pair, and will buy more when I need them.

https://www.clubrideapparel.com/prod...uck-bike-liner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    As a testament, I went on a ride today, got tied up doing stuff afterward, sat down to eat, never took the shorts off yet, and still here I sit, hours later with the liners still on typing away.
    ^maybe a little too much info
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fit is personal thing but I can recommend Gore Bikewear liners. Mine have been better than various than Mavic, Endura and Castelli liners/bibs/shorts I have used.
    Gore liners are slightly stiff initially but have been very comfortable after first couple of rides. I canít tell the exact model, seems that they have changed the names again.

edit: I think I got GORE Bike Wear INNER PRO Tights+, I don't know what current model is similar.
    Last edited by markom; 06-05-2018 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Maloja FalcunM. or the similar bib option.

mtbr member
    I've tried a few brands, but Gore has been the most comfortable for me. Been using them weekly for 3 years and still like new.

I can't wear Pearl Izumi. I'm 5'11, 165 so not too big, but even a size large is way too tight on my legs and will cut off circulation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just wear my older road bibs under my baggies when mtn biking. Personally have no use for those under short liners.

Pay whatever it is you feel comfortable paying for a set of good fitting bibs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I've been happy with Performance Elite road shorts that I wear by themselves or under baggy shorts as customary.

The liner shorts I've tried all sucked. Have bought bibs and shorts from both Pearl Izumi and Aerotech and wasn't happy with the fit. I'm afraid to try high end stuff because it seems to take 4 or 5 rides and washes to figure out what works for me.

mtbr member
    100% liners, extremely breathable and have the 3 pockets built in with slots for gels on each leg. Believe mine were around $100.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/1...bib-liner-mens

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Read some online reviews, these are some of the best:

https://www.rei.com/product/892695/p...ke-shorts-mens

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    100% liners, extremely breathable and have the 3 pockets built in with slots for gels on each leg. Believe mine were around $100.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/1...bib-liner-mens
    Thanks for this, once you try storage bibs anything else is pointless and sad.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Thanks for this, once you try storage bibs anything else is pointless and sad.
    This.

Specialized SWAT Mountain bib liner has been all I use since I found them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm interested in a good liner also. Found the Mavic XA Pro bib under liner:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod155982
    Any expieriences with stuff like that?

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I can't wrap my head around wearing anything other than a bib under a pair of baggies for pedally rides.

Also, I can't wrap my head around not wearing a bib for the road kit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My favorite bibs for road are the Castelli Endurance. I normally wear cheap shorts under my baggies, though; there's no real reason to pull out my shorts I wear on 200k rides for a few hours on the mtb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I can't wear Pearl Izumi. I'm 5'11, 165 so not too big, but even a size large is way too tight on my legs and will cut off circulation.
    Huh. I'm 5'8", 195 lbs with 28" thighs and haven't had this problem with the large Pearl Izumi shorts. I can't wear the mediums (that fit in the waist) for this reason, actually can't pull them on, but have been fine with the large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Troy Lee liners have changed my life. They stay in place better than my bibs.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    This.

Specialized SWAT Mountain bib liner has been all I use since I found them.
    Life changing .

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Life changing .
    One day you might talk me into picking up some of these bad boys. I'll admit that I did oogle them last time I saw some in the store. Looks like a quality piece of kit.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have not worn a pack since picking these up, even on a bike with no bottle cage.

Short-Change-Hero
    Been looking at the Spesh SWAT as everyone keeps raving about them.. I have a variety of liners that I rotate through regardless of the shorts I am wearing; Pearl Izumi, Zoic, Royal, Scott. Out of all of those the Zoic and Royal fit me the best. I really like the PI but they end up being so long on me (I am all torso at 6' tall) that they become belly button pants.

Only one's out of those that I really dont care for are the Scott, the fit is nice but they are just too thin for me seeing as I normally do at least 10-14 miles on my daily climb rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Search Ebay for 4D bicycle liners and shorts if you want great padding at a great price, $10-40 depending on what you're buying. 4D is the thickest pads 3D are still great but for me for shorter rides. I never will buy from the name brands as they're 3-4x the price.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Been looking at the Spesh SWAT as everyone keeps raving about them.. I have a variety of liners that I rotate through regardless of the shorts I am wearing; Pearl Izumi, Zoic, Royal, Scott. Out of all of those the Zoic and Royal fit me the best. I really like the PI but they end up being so long on me (I am all torso at 6' tall) that they become belly button pants.

Only one's out of those that I really dont care for are the Scott, the fit is nice but they are just too thin for me seeing as I normally do at least 10-14 miles on my daily climb rides.
    I've been religiously using the SWAT bibs now for a while, and recently picked up another pair (yay clearance prices!) just to keep stocked up. On that same order, I threw in a pair of TLD Skyline Air shorts because i figured they'd at least be good for the top layer. (Wasn't impressed with the liner that came with my old TLD Ruckus shorts, despite the shorts themselves being great.)

Decided to give the new liner a shot and damn, might be the most comfortable one I've tried yet. It won't replace my swat bibs any day soon, but for longer rides where I am using a backpack anyway and thus don't need the swat storage in the back of the bibs, these new TLD liners may be my new favorite.

Meanwhile the Zoic and Pearl Izumi liners can just keep on collecting dust.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    I've been religiously using the SWAT bibs now for a while, and recently picked up another pair (yay clearance prices!) just to keep stocked up. On that same order, I threw in a pair of TLD Skyline Air shorts because i figured they'd at least be good for the top layer. (Wasn't impressed with the liner that came with my old TLD Ruckus shorts, despite the shorts themselves being great.)

Decided to give the new liner a shot and damn, might be the most comfortable one I've tried yet. It won't replace my swat bibs any day soon, but for longer rides where I am using a backpack anyway and thus don't need the swat storage in the back of the bibs, these new TLD liners may be my new favorite.

Meanwhile the Zoic and Pearl Izumi liners can just keep on collecting dust.
    Good to know. I am going to have to get some new liners at the end of the year as I noticed last night I have one, possibly two, that are starting to fall apart at the stitching. Luckily, like most I rotate between a few pairs but since riding season is here and I am riding upwards of 5 times a week at a minimum, they are getting used up quickly.

mtbr member
    I really like the quality of the Kitsbow liners---they are my current favorite---but they are expensive (I bought mine on sale). I also really like the new Patagonia liners as well. On the more affordable side, I found the Yeti Como liners to be quite solid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My top picks
    1. Assos rally boxer. Can do 100 milers without butt ache. Expensive.
    2. Pearl izumi. Good quality/price. Tight about the thighs, not for pedal mashers.
    3. Gore. Good, but loose their cushiness quite fast
    4. Troy lee/all other cheaper thinner alternatives. Better then nothing, but just doesnt cut it. Last resort.

Although it is expensive i would only buy another assos.
    Maybe even a bib short with the even better pad, to keeps my back warm in winter

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've found the liners made by pearl Izumi to be too thin for long rides. Same with Fox. Eventually I found some pairs of the short version of Sugoi evolution shorts which work well as liners, are really comfy, and can be worn by themselves if you also road bike (I don't) or ever find yourself on a XC desert trail in near 100 degree heat sweating your nuts off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iíve worn my Zoic liners out so tried some SWAT bibs after seeing so many positive reviews here. Havenít ridden them, but tried them on today and impressed with the fit and quality. The older Pro version is on sale for $59 from Spesh so I ordered a couple more pair. Padding seems great and these can be worn with or without baggy shorts.
    I may, gasp, go without extra shorts as they get snagged on seats from time to time.

mtbr member
    Road Lycra shorts always seem to have higher quality pads for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure how well they'd breath under a MTB shell.
    MTB liners are perforated and ventilate very well, so I'd assume the heavier lycra on the roadie shorts wouldn't pair well with a MTB shell for hot days.
    Anyone do a back to back comparison?

that being said I think you'd like Yeti's liners. I love them ~ https://www.yeticycles.com/gear/ride/como-chamois-2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Road Lycra shorts always seem to have higher quality pads for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure how well they'd breath under a MTB shell.
    MTB liners are perforated and ventilate very well, so I'd assume the heavier lycra on the roadie shorts wouldn't pair well with a MTB shell for hot days.
    Anyone do a back to back comparison?
    I've been shuffling through both types in an effort to make the monsoon humidity and summer heat in Phoenix tolerable. I think it's safe to say that roadie shorts definitely don't breath the same, and under even airy mtb baggies (like the TLD Skyline Air shorts) they're still warmer than just the lycra alone.

standalone lycra vs my tld baggies over either the tld liner or even the specialized pro mtb liner... i give a slight edge to the standalone lycra just because the sweat has a more direct path to evaporation. It's also been better for me, in the extreme heat, to ditch the baggies as the extra material wants to stick to legs once the sweat starts flowing and that eventually just leads to abrasion and general discomfort.

I despise lycra, but ill be damned if it doesnt work better for me on the extreme end. Didn't take long to cease giving a damn what others on trail think either. =)

Still, looking forward to cooler temps and going back to baggies/liners.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't let the number of panels influence my buying decision. More panels doesn't necessarily translate into a better fit; however more panels do require more stitching, which can cause discomfort.

I was looking for hot weather epic ride comfort just like you Zirkel. I couldn't find it and that's how DirtBaggies came to be.
    Free Baggy shorts with purchase of any bib at
    DirtBaggies.com
    use coupon code BOGO