Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. CX Racing... Cold weather... Water crossings... Shoes?

Any recommendos on a great pair of shoes for the above^

Something that is watertight(not water resistant), warm, and last but not least, fairly light. Don't know if these exist, kinda looks like a pic 2 of the three doesn't it?

Carbon or Commie?
    put socks on. as many pairs as it takes to "stay warm" in given weather

get a can of "tool dip" rubber coating from harbor freight/home depot

dip your feet in them until just above the sock.

allow to dry.

Enjoy. IPA and elbow grease to remove.

I'm sure there are 'better' options. But this is a "in a pinch, would probably mostly work" solution.

Carbon or Commie?
    Oh, and if you want more "support", toss an orthotic tray and/or an ankle brace on with the socks.

mtbr member
    Something that has worked for me is a bike shoe with mesh (quick draining), wool socks plus gore tex oversocks. Not 100% waterproof, but way better than cold feet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    get a can of "tool dip" rubber coating from harbor freight/home depot

dip your feet in them until just above the sock.
    Plastic Dip may be easier to remove if you shave your legs. Cancer? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by snodrift View Post
    Something that has worked for me is a bike shoe with mesh (quick draining), wool socks plus gore tex oversocks. Not 100% waterproof, but way better than cold feet.
    A good solution because if the water will get the shoes wet, it will probably rise above the shoes and get in around the ankles. No shoe alone will stop that. Gaiters might work though.

If a cheap alternative to goretex socks is desired, then plastic bags will work. Wear one under your socks and another over your socks. Oven turkey bags work well. As long as you can seal the bags to your legs, your socks will stay dry and warm. Sure, your feet will get moist, but it won't be able to chill our feet without being able to evaporate. It may be somewhat uncomfortable, but that's the trade off for ensuring dry and warm socks on a minimal budget.

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Plastic Dip may be easier to remove if you shave your legs. Cancer? Maybe.
    That's a good point. Much easier without pesky hair making everything stick better.

OP didn't say anything about not wanting cancer...
    Plus, as we all know, this kind of stuff only causes cancer in the state of california.

The other solution is probably a better choice overall. I think mine would be more effective, however. But I imagine you would only use it ONCE, if ever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Smile

Shimano MW81 shoes for cold and waterproof (to a point).
    Last edited by Gearhead65; 10-09-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Mistyped model number.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    The other solution is probably a better choice overall. I think mine would be more effective, however. But I imagine you would only use it ONCE, if ever.
    Both solutions could be used together. With a plastic bag against the skin and a sock over top, moisture from the foot wouldn't go into the sock. The sock would heat up, and if it's wet, would cause the moisture to vaporize. With your goretex socks on the outside, the water vapor would escape. So at worst, the outer goretex layer serves the same purpose as a plastic bag in which the socks don't get any more wet or dry, but could also be used to dry out socks. I like your solution better if money isn't an issue.

Flow like water
    I do not have a shoe recommendation. I do have a sock recommendation.
    Thorlo light hikers will pump water out of a shoe faster than you would imagine. I have hiked in the rain using these socks. A few steps after stepping into a puddle or stream, the socks are remarkably dry. They wick away most of the water very quickly. All you need are shoes which have some mesh on them somewhere.