Uphill? What's that

CPSC Helmets ( Good Enough ?)

I am looking to get a good DH/FR Full Face Helmet. Is a CPSC Certified helmet good enough or should I get a helmet that has a DOT rating. and has anyone used the Azonic Fury helmet and would you recomend it.

Bike Ninja |||
    as of now i will only ride DOT helmets for DH / FR... some bad crashes made me rethink my 661 full bravo carbon.

What's nice about DOT helmets is they have multiple layers of different 'speed' foams. what i mean by this, is that in an impact they foams compress at different rates so your head slows down progressively... in cspc helmets i'ts generally only one foam density.

I will continue to ride a standard cspc helmet for 4x and DS but i think my head is worth the DOT investment.

my $0.02
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    I took a drop from about 5-6 feet up or so to my face over the weekend.
    The Giro Remedy held up the abuse.

To get a helmet DOT certified its just more $$$ in testing.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I took a drop from about 5-6 feet up or so to my face over the weekend.
    The Giro Remedy held up the abuse.

To get a helmet DOT certified its just more $$$ in testing.

not true. it is more $$ in certification and testing, but its also a completely different design all together. cspc helmets cannot pass DOT and SNELL certification guidelines. it's not just more testing....

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    not true. it is more $$ in certification and testing, but its also a completely different design all together. cspc helmets cannot pass DOT and SNELL certification guidelines. it's not just more testing....
    I know... Im just saying getting a helmet DOT and SNELL certified costs ALOT more than cspc.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use a HJC motorcycle helmet, after destroying a Bell Balistic mtb helmet i decided the weight penalty was worth the added protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Remedys can take abuse. I have had several good hits to the head with mine and each time I come out unscathed...

I like air!
    I have crushed, cracked and destroyed 4 non DOT helmets over the past 6 years, each time with my head in them obviously and Iíve done ok. My experience is that they do break easier but still protect, then you just replace them. I'm not trying to convince you not to go DOT, just telling you my experience.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    How much does it weigh?

DenverDH'er
    I was using a Fox Rampage that I liked. Decided to go to a 661 "moto version" helmet (the box says it can be used for moto-cross or bicycle DH) and it was just too heavy. On big hits/bumps, I could really feel my neck taking the abuse of the extra weight. Granted I was in a pretty bad car accident about 6 years ago, and my neck has never been the same.

If you've got any kind of neck issues, the heavier helmets may give you the same problem.

Uphill? What's that
    How much heavier is a typical MX helmet?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob

good ones (TLD SE-2, 661 flights, etc) aren't too much heavier. maybe 20-30% more give or take.

It's true that it puts a bigger strain on your neck, it was a very easy transition for me to go to DOT from a very light cspc helmet. You notice it maybe the first day, but after that it becomes natural.

DenverDH'er

I've never weighed them, but if you hold them in each hand it's quite a difference. Freaking thing is huge compaired to the Rampage as well. Makes you look like you have a GIANT noggin in photos. Oh wait, I DO have a freaking huge noggin.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Oh wait, I DO have a freaking huge noggin.
    Maybe thats why the helmet weighs so much.

Thunder Chunky
    The blacklite is DOT, ECE and SNELL cert and comes in at just under 3 lbs. My 661 Flight is DOT, ECE and SNELL cert and it is alittle over 3lbs. I went from a 661 comp to the flight and honestly the weight change has not bothered my neck at all, you just need to get used to the extra weight. No different than having to get used to the weight of a football helmet or the like. Eventually your neck muscles will build up and you wont notice the weight. Also the DOT helmets I have tried have all been more comfy than the CPSC hlemts I have tried...maybe there is something about them that fits my head better IDK just stating my observations.

Uphill? What's that
    [QUOTE=Madman133]The blacklite is DOT, ECE and SNELL cert and comes in at just under 3 lbs.

I was looking at the blacklite but it does not look like it has any vents. Do you know if it does. I do most of my riding in the summer and some vents would be nice.

DenverDH'er
    Maybe thats why the helmet weighs so much.

Word.

Bike Ninja |||
    [QUOTE=Rob-Bob]
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    The blacklite is DOT, ECE and SNELL cert and comes in at just under 3 lbs.

I was looking at the blacklite but it does not look like it has any vents. Do you know if it does. I do most of my riding in the summer and some vents would be nice.

per DOT guidelines you can only have a certain number of vents. can't remember the exact number, but, because of impact regulations, you can't have a gazillion holes for venting. kinda stinks, but oh well. i've found my 661 flight to be plenty cool in the hot colorado summer.

Thunder Chunky
    [QUOTE=chooofoojoo]

per DOT guidelines you can only have a certain number of vents. can't remember the exact number, but, because of impact regulations, you can't have a gazillion holes for venting. kinda stinks, but oh well. i've found my 661 flight to be plenty cool in the hot colorado summer.
    Same about the 661 flight...It seems like I sweat more with it than I did with my comp but overall my head is cooler for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0