Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    33

    Compression clothing

    So I know runner use compression clothing. However what about mtbrs? I know that after every climb my legs feel zapped drained like there's no go. This feeling may also be in my thighs from time to time. I believe my lactic acid is out of whack. So I'm looking for stuff to help me. I'm sure the compression calf sleeves and pants will help with any muscle discomfort. But what should I use out on the trail? Potassium? What selection would I have to gain more potassium other than bananas? Thanks for reading.
    Peace, J.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OmaHaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    620
    I don't think compression will help your legs. I'll wear a compression top under a midweight layer when doing athletic activities. Just a layering thing. All about comfort, nothing to do with performance at all.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    585
    Quality bike shorts with compression designed into the thighs help a bunch in preventing cramping and avoiding muscle aches during and post ride. They won't make up for bad nutrition or poor hydration, but all things equal, are a great help.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    63
    I half remember hearing in grad school that compression shorts reduced leg fatigue by ~10-15% in cyclists. Could not tell you how that would be measured or the source; but even if it's a placebo effect, I'll take it!

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16

    Good job!

    I don't think so you are uncomfortable with these compression sportswear. The main benefits of compression sportswear is that it keeps the muscular tissue warm to avoid muscular stress and exhaustion, and pull sweating away from the body to avoid chafing and rashes. If you are not feeling comfort, then you can wear anything in which you feel comfortable and I hope then you become satisfied as well.
    Last edited by marinajason; 04-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    Hi everyone. I have a question regarding compression wear and liners/padding.

    I recently purchased some 2013 Royal Matrix shorts, which come with a padded liner.
    I also purchased Skins A200 tights and top.

    My question is, is it OK to wear the Skins tights as underwear, then the padded liner on top, and finally the shorts?

    I am going on my first "longer" ride in a while this weekend. My saddle is pretty hard, so I don't want any chafing or a sore bum...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3
    If I were you I'd work on cleaning up my diet. Leg fatigue and cramps can be caused by bad diet espeically lack of potassium. Eat a bannana everyday and drink lots of water. Also get yourself a foamroller and workout those knots in your IT bands and Quads. I'm a runner also and these have saved me so much pain and I'm happy to share it with anybody who doesn't know it. Personally gear isn't going to do much, maybe on super long rides might make it a little bit more comfortable, but if you're not in great shape, have poor diet, or cramped muscles, it's not going to do squat.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    345
    Not shorts related, but a question about shirts..

    I was looking at the Under Armor ColdGear Tight Compression Shirt for the 35-50 degree Farenheight and/or rainy weather conditions; would this work out? I do have a North Face small jacket that is water proof, and it did it's job this weekend, but I was still a bit on the cold side.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by djmisio85 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a question regarding compression wear and liners/padding.

    I recently purchased some 2013 Royal Matrix shorts, which come with a padded liner.
    I also purchased Skins A200 tights and top.

    My question is, is it OK to wear the Skins tights as underwear, then the padded liner on top, and finally the shorts?

    I am going on my first "longer" ride in a while this weekend. My saddle is pretty hard, so I don't want any chafing or a sore bum...
    The chamois is supposed to go as close to the skin as possible. Wearing the tights as the base layer adds the possibility of a seam or fold in the material rubbing as you move. I found a nice pair of LG knickers for colder rides, I put a pair of fox ranger outer shorts (separate liner) over them for colder rides.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    644

    Compression clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    Not shorts related, but a question about shirts..

    I was looking at the Under Armor ColdGear Tight Compression Shirt for the 35-50 degree Farenheight and/or rainy weather conditions; would this work out? I do have a North Face small jacket that is water proof, and it did it's job this weekend, but I was still a bit on the cold side.
    Cold gear UA is great but you will burn up at 50 degrees in that once you get moving. I don't mind cold but I only use my cold gear below 35-40 degrees. If the wing is out I may use them at 45. At 32 I usually wear a cold gear mock with a heat gear shirt over it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Potassium sounds like a good shout to me Falconrider, if you don't like bananas spinach and sweet potatoes also have plenty so you could make a yummy dinner or lunch! In terms of compression I agree with hado_pv and decided to take mine a little more seriously recently (have had a few aches and pains from an old injury) and got some compression shorts from HPE. So far so good, the pain from my old hamstring injury is definitely easing off. Let us know if the potassium thing works for you and good luck

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconrider View Post
    So I know runner use compression clothing. However what about mtbrs? I know that after every climb my legs feel zapped drained like there's no go. This feeling may also be in my thighs from time to time. I believe my lactic acid is out of whack. So I'm looking for stuff to help me. I'm sure the compression calf sleeves and pants will help with any muscle discomfort. But what should I use out on the trail? Potassium? What selection would I have to gain more potassium other than bananas? Thanks for reading.
    Do "leg drains" by lying on your back with your legs extended vertically and feet propped against a wall for three to four minutes. This drains the blood out of your legs so fresh, clean blood can be pumped back into them when you stand up. You can do leg drains either immediately after stretching or after your bath. Either way, you'll notice a markedly different pair of legs under you when you get up.

    These are gold!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    33
    I am not goning to take away from the other recommendations made by the other riders. I have not had alot of trouble w/ the potassium issues. But, I can say the the compression tights from UA (coldgear) have helped tremedously w/ my longer road rides. I have noticed that my legs do not seem to feel as burnt out as early in the ride. They also seem to feel "recovered" alot faster after long climbs. The coldgear helps me to stay warm w/o overheating and my right lower leg (I have a metric butt ton of titanium) does not seem to get bitter cold and sore.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

Similar Threads

  1. Winter Clothing?
    By Bethany1 in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 01:50 AM
  2. Clothing Source
    By Jared5755 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM
  3. all mountain clothing
    By ildottore46 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
  4. pivot clothing outside the US
    By ruralbike in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 02:35 AM
  5. Cannondale Clothing
    By ALS650L in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •