mtbr member

Cold weather product test: PI AmFIB gloves.

Now I see why these 2003 models have been on clearance at Performance. Ummm, to put it bluntly, they don't work.

I've been using some $6.99 Kmart ski gloves for the really cold temps this winter (down to single digits) and they've worked pretty well, but when I saw these '03 AmFIBs on sale for $39 I figured I'd go with the true bike specific winter glove.

Well I tested them out today and was severely disappointed. My fingers about fell off they were so cold after a short 35minute ride! It's like they sucked all the heat right out of my fingers. (It was 6 degrees F today btw).

Not only that but I was shocked to find they weren't cut to accommodate a bicycle grip. Hellllooooooo. Aren't these bike gloves? It was easier to work my controls with my bulky cheap convenience store specials.

These will be going back to Performance.

I also ordered the Louis Garneau Volcano lobster gloves they had for $34 and will try them tomorrow. They seem kinda thin. We'll see. I'll report back.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-15-2005 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I've used the lobster style amphib gloves for a few years now and I'm happy with them.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Haven't Used The Regular AmFib Gloves But...

The PI AmFib Lobster gloves are awesome. Too warm for riding though really. I rode with them below 0 F a few times and regularly in the single digets and my hands sweat like mad.
    For winter riding I like the PI pittards leather therma fleece glove with a thin poly-pro glove underneath

Lucifer rides an mtb

I have last year's model..

not much different.. fingers get cold when temps drop below about 15F. Also disappointed in how thin the palm pads are.. feels like my hands are gripping steel.. wish I could find good winter gloves that have thicker, bike-specific padding on the grip. This seems to be more important in winter because I am heads-down in the saddle more.

Am I getting too bulky?
    I used to enjoy the AmFIB gloves, untill it was time to wash them. The stuffing inside shifted and bunched, and they became uncomfortable, particularly in the palms. After the second wash, they were unwearable because of the comfort issue. Now I just wear a pair of leather work gloves lined with Thinsulate.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    The PI AmFib Lobster gloves are awesome. Too warm for riding though really. I rode with them below 0 F a few times and regularly in the single digets and my hands sweat like mad.
    For winter riding I like the PI pittards leather therma fleece glove with a thin poly-pro glove underneath
    Too warm?? That sounds good... but sweating hands isn't a good thing either, unless the gloves breath well. I think part of the problem with the AmFIBs was that they didn't breath. My fingers got a little damp from sweating then REALLY got cold.

I've got a pair of the fleece (?) PI glove liners on order. We'll see if they help. I'll need a bigger pair of gloves in order for the liners to fit though. These PI AMFibs run small. I already sent a pair of mediums back and even these Larges seem a bit tight. I'm thinking limited circulation may also have contributed to the frost bitten fingers.

Are the lobster claws cut well for gripping a bike handlebar and still reaching the brakes and working the trigger shifters? These have short fingers, and almost a webbing across from the main hand part to the thumb, which, when wrapped around a grip, limit finger/thumb movement even further.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-15-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Are you talking to me?

Pogies time.

If you run Pogies, you can use your xc gloves under them.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    The stuffing inside shifted and bunched, and they became uncomfortable, particularly in the palms..
    Yeah, I noticed when I pulled my hands out to try and warm them up a bit the lining in the fingers pulled out and bunched making it hard to get my fingers back in. That's another mark against them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    Also disappointed in how thin the palm pads are.. feels like my hands are gripping steel.. .
    Yeah, it seemed like much of the cold was radiating directly from the grip/bar to the palms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Are the lobster claws cut well for gripping a bike handlebar and still reaching the brakes and working the trigger shifters? These have short fingers, and almost a webbing across from the main hand part to the thumb, which, when wrapped around a grip, limit finger/thumb movement even further.
    I use gripshift, but I have no problem with the brake. I two-finger brake anyhow. They would be ideal for dualcontrol levers.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

More Of A Roadie Thing...

The Lobsters I mean. I think they are awkward to ride a flat bar bike with. Rapidfire would be awful. Gripshift may be ok. I used them with thumbshifters and that was ok as well but in gereral I dont think they feel natural holdng a flat bar.

But on a drop bar bike they are great. Either with your hands on the hoods or in the drops the gloves are contoured perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    If you run Pogies, you can use your xc gloves under them.
    Not being a kayaker... I didn't know what pogies were, so I googled it. Still haven't got a picture of one.... but aren't they all open on the palm?

I did find these and these at the same site. Ice climbing gloves rated down to -15. 'Course they're $120-150. They say staying warm is all about investing in the right equipment. Sigh.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-15-2005 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    They say staying warm is all about investing in the right equipment. Sigh.
    Reminds me of antoher saying I like.
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

mtbr member

Google is an amazing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut
    Reminds me of antoher saying I like.
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."
    How true.

I got poking around some of the other hits from my search on Pogies and found this site. Very informative.

And these gloves. Only $40 bucks. Maybe I'm on to something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I also ordered the Louis Garneau Volcano lobster gloves they had for $34 and will try them tomorrow. They seem kinda thin. We'll see. I'll report back.
    I rode with the Louis Garneau lobster gloves today in zero to 4 degree weather and was surprised how well they worked because they didn't seem very thick. Also, eventhough the fingers are together on the outside the lining splits them on the inside. I thought this would negate the benefit of having your two fingers together to warm each others. But they seemed to work pretty well. They were a bit awkward to work the brakes (I'm a one finger brake guy), and for changing my flat tire (big long rusty nail got stuck in there this morning, D'Oh.), but not bad. Better than the AMFibs.

My fingers still got cold... but not brutally, frost bite, frozen, cold. So maybe. But I'm still looking. See my post below for what I've found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Lobsters I mean. I think they are awkward to ride a flat bar bike with. Rapidfire would be awful. Gripshift may be ok. I used them with thumbshifters and that was ok as well but in gereral I dont think they feel natural holdng a flat bar.

But on a drop bar bike they are great. Either with your hands on the hoods or in the drops the gloves are contoured perfectly.
    I have no issues with PI lobsters and flat bar. Rapidfire isn't an issue either. That being said I can shift rapidfire with mittens pretty much without a hitch.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Have you tried a liner glove under your lobsters? I found the usable temperature range much greater with a set of liners and my hands are much drier and warmer across the range.

not so super...
    I have the 2004 Am Fib glove and really like them. I've washed them several times with no ill effect. For really cold days I use their liner glove inside the Amfib. IMO...they are perfect for use in the south eastern US.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I've been using Fila gloves with Thinsulate, and they're amazingly warm, even down to 10 degrees. Not only are my fingers not cold, they're hot! When I took them off, I could see steam coming off of my hands! Amazing!
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Budget glove tip.

Head down to your local work clothing store to find out what the local construction guys use when building houses in the winter.

Gripping a hammer and a handle bar is similar, as is the weather conditions and the amount of insulation needed.

For winter riding most of my clothing comes from the work clothing store. It isn't expensive when compared to sport specific clothing.