mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Cold Weather Gloves, to lobster or not to lobster, that is the question...

Quick question for those who ride in the cold (below freezing) weather. I currently own a pair of Pearl Izumi AM fib gloves (a couple years old) but have a chance to get a good deal on the AM fib Lobster Glove. Sure they seem to pretty much be the same thing, but curious if the "lobster" part of it is really worth it and if it will keep my hands that much warmer...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    good quality ski gloves do me just fine or xc ski glove if not real cold.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride gloves and if it gets to cold <-20C then I ride mitts rather use than lobsters.

I can change a tire in mitts and they are way warmer, can't one finger brake with lobsters.

So what good are they???

crashes in parkinglot
    Like Jeffscott said, its hard to one finger break with lobsters. One my most recent ride that had me kinda bugged, as it was the first cold ride of the season and I'm not used to having to use two fingers to break.

I'be also used snowboarding full mits last year and maybe they are a bit too big for my hands as I don't remember them bugging me that much.

Keeping your core warm also helps keeping your extremities (sp) warm too.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Lobsters Are More Of A Road Thing

I'd never use them for mtbing but they are awesome on the road.
    They're too cumbersom on a flat bar for me, where as the others pointed out you can't use your index finger or middle finger alone.
    PI has a newer half lobster glove that would probably work a lot better.

How cold is it going to get? I find the AmFib gloves to be too warm for atheletic activity. I won;t break them out for a ride unless it's going to be ~15F or below. Otherwise I ride in the regular PI Thermafleece gloves in the 40F-15F range.

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws are the standard around here, we've tried various other gloves (including lobster copies), and we always come back to them. They are surprisingly warm for their thickness, and function well on a bike. We've found that the claws are warmer than the regular fingered gloves, and still allow 2 finger braking.

mtbr member
    I went to lobster mitts for the first time this year and have been loving them for use on the commuter (old MTB frame, slick tires, etc.). As other's have mentioned not being able to one-finger brake is a bit cumbersome, but that was easily solved by moving my brake levers outwards on the bar a bit to postition it suitably for 2 fingers instead of 1.

So far, I've ridden with these gloves in temperatures around -20* C (~-5* F) and haven't had any problems with cold fingers. As always though, YRMV.

mtbr member
    Come to think of it, I'm not sure if mine are Lobsters or 1/2 Lobsters. Either way I like them for commuting (when it's that cold here the trails are snow covered and the roads are icy = time to ski and snowboard on the weekends).

I use cheap insulated leather work gloves for rides/skiing down to about 15F. Below that I need something warmer. Rode a few seasons using snowboard/ski mittens (Black Diamond Mercury mitts are awesome) but it was too hard to grab the brakes in a hurry. My Lobsters are now what I use when it gets that cold. Braking hasn't been an issue with them.

mtbr member
    I've had a few pairs of Pearl's Lobster gloves. Everyone I ride with USED to wear them. Now guys wear ski gloves, mittens, fishing gloves with liners in them??? and I wear cheap gloves I found at Wal-Mart. They work way better than the lobsters. Izumi's gloves are expensive and not that great.

mtbr member

lobsters

We have a RAAM rider that trains through the winter in WI and is usually on his bike between 4am and 9am which is the coldest part of the day and I've seen him wearing lobsters on his road bike.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Members who have read this thread: 0