Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cold weather gloves

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  trailwoman 
#1 ·
Been looking for some cold weather gloves for my small hands and short fingers. Any suggestions? It's hard enough to find size small or extra small in the stores, but then they still end up being too long in the fingers or too fat and bulky in the fingers. I'm looking for something that will fit snug and keep me toasty in 35-45 degree weather. The gloves I wear for XC skiing aren't cutting it on the bike. I've thought about looking at gloves for kids but haven't had any luck finding much to try. Help?

#2 ·
OctoberSky said:
Been looking for some cold weather gloves for my small hands and short fingers. Any suggestions? It's hard enough to find size small or extra small in the stores, but then they still end up being too long in the fingers or too fat and bulky in the fingers. I'm looking for something that will fit snug and keep me toasty in 35-45 degree weather. The gloves I wear for XC skiing aren't cutting it on the bike. I've thought about looking at gloves for kids but haven't had any luck finding much to try. Help?
I REALLY like the black diamond thermostat glove. It's windproof, very warm, and wicking, without bulk. They will even keep your hands warm when they are soaked. They are originally for ice climbing but I use them for cold weather riding and for skiing too. Plus they are currently on sale @ mgear.com,
$19.98/56.00

http://tinyurl.com/4uenv

#3 ·
Surprisingly, my Fox Static gloves have been comfortable all through the winters and I've ridden in temps down to 5 degrees. Yeah, its cold at first but once you get going, everything warms up and stays that way until you stop. THen the icicles form! :eek:

#4 ·
OctoberSky said:
My wife has pretty small hands/fingers, she uses these in the conditions you describe. I have used the mens down to 20 deg F or so, they work great.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...hop/profile.cfm?SKU=19212&subcategory_ID=1241

#5 ·
Try using those cheap stretchy gloves as a liner for your normal bike gloves or the ski gloves you wear. I use them and they work great with my normal bike gloves and if your hands get to hot you simply remove the liner/stretchy glove and you should be good to go (again).

#6 ·
I have the same problem as you. I've tried several winter gloves but the fingers are always too long and bulky. So for the past 3 winters I have ended up with my old standby - a pair of cotton work/gardening gloves over my bike gloves. They are usually too big which allows air to get trapped in them but not so bulky as to get in the way. Once the trapped air is warmed (about 10 minutes of riding) my fingers stay pretty warm. I've used this method down to 17 degrees or so. But, like you, I'm still looking for the right winter glove for my hands. So I will keep watching this thread for suggestions.

Anybody need a nice pair of Specialized winter gloves? New with tags......

#7 ·
SuperNewb said:
Try using those cheap stretchy gloves as a liner for your normal bike gloves or the ski gloves you wear. I use them and they work great with my normal bike gloves and if your hands get to hot you simply remove the liner/stretchy glove and you should be good to go (again).
I have tried those stretchy gloves but use my polypro liners because they are warmer and thinner. Depending on the weather, I'm okay with the liners under the full-fingered bike gloves. And at other times, the liners under the ski gloves work or at least work for a while. Other times, I still get cold. Maybe I'm just not riding fast enough. Maybe I have a circulation problem as my feet sometimes get cold while wearing Smartwool socks AND booties!

#8 ·
Thermosat gloves

formica said:
I REALLY like the black diamond thermostat glove. It's windproof, very warm, and wicking, without bulk. They will even keep your hands warm when they are soaked. They are originally for ice climbing but I use them for cold weather riding and for skiing too. Plus they are currently on sale @ mgear.com,
$19.98/56.00

http://tinyurl.com/4uenv
Ii was too late...but they also have Black Diamon Dry Tool gloves..do you know anything about them - are they as good?

#10 ·
formica said:
BD makes pretty good stuff, but I' haven't used that one personally. You could always order it and if it's not what you want, send it back...

~formica
Off the top of your head, do you happen to know if REI or another outdoorsy store carries them? I'd be interested in a windproof glove like that for dirtbiking. :)

#11 ·
kpicha said:
Off the top of your head, do you happen to know if REI or another outdoorsy store carries them? I'd be interested in a windproof glove like that for dirtbiking. :)
check REI online? I don't know ;-) Black Diamond is technically oriented stuff, stores that carry more high end climbing/mountaineering stuff usually carry that brand. Mountain Gear has a huge mail order division too.

hth??

formica... where' 6" of snow is predicted today.

#12 ·
Yep, I figured as soon as I asked I might as well go check, duh- it took more time to ask than it to check :rolleyes:

But yeah, REI does carry BD gloves, not the thermostat but a few others so it'll be worth a look the next time I go over there.

Have fun in the snow! After this gray, drizzly day we're having today, tomorrow we'll be looking at a whopping, sunny 65 degrees ! Woo hoo! If this is going to be winter this year, I'll be a happy camper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.