mtbr member

Cold weather clothing question

Hi Guys,

This Canadian weather is working my last nerve,lol. Its been cold and snowy now since November. They relased winter snowfall totals and we exceeded over 7 feet of snow so I am VERY much wanting to get back out on my bike.

The weather is getting warmer here but still very cool especially in the mornings. Im thinking about going for a bike ride soon as snow is melting and the paved bike trails are dry.

What Im looking for though is a long sleeve shirt to wear under my nike and reebok dry wick ( or whatever there called,lol ) t shirts. Is there something that would provide some warmth but still allowing sweat to wick away and dry. Nothing worse then cold temps and cold sweat on you.

If you guys have any tips that would be great

Jeremy

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you looked at mountain equipment coop? I bought a long sleeve top there the other day for $45 on sale......it is about the same weight as a polar fleece top.

Yes, the winter here has been way too long

mtbr member
    Cheers Rocky,

I was going to go over on the weekend and have a look. Closest one to me is about 45 minutes but if you go on a weekday that could 2 hours and 45 minutes,lol

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    order some thin silk long sleeve shirts from llbean or someone else

silk is much warmer than wool gram for gram, so you can use thin shirts and it wicks like wool and stays warm when wet

I have some you can see through and they don't look like much but put one on and immediately it feels like you put on a much more substantial layer...

silk (like wool) doesn't build up a funk like some synthetics can, despite washings

mtbr member
    Ditch the synthetic fibers and go for natural materials like wool or silk (as mentioned above). Not only do natural fibers regulate temperature better they resist the stinky funk that synthetics hold.

Some companies to look into: Ibex and Icebreaker are the best in my experience.

Or hunt around the local army/navy surplus store for silk and woolen goods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    JerB you can browse online and they tell you what their stock level is like..?Could save you a trip.