mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cold Weather Breathing

I don't have cold-induced asthma (that I know of), but I do have a hard time with strenuous exercise in cold weather. This is my first year riding and things are starting to get a bit chilly here in New England. I'd hate to mothball my HT for 4 months just due to cold weather.

Is there a good face mask that will help warm incoming air, but won't be so restrictive as to make me want to rip it off when climbing a lung-busting hill? If it can also provide a decent seal at the top to keep my glasses from fogging, that would be great.

mtbr member
    I wear a bandana, train robber style, when it gets chilly. When it gets down towards freezing, I wear a fleece bandana in the same manner. it cuts the wind, and warms the air just enough, but not too much to be suffocating. It allows fresh air to circulate, instead of feeling like I'm breathing in the CO2 I just exhaled.

I've tried balaclavas, and other buffs, etc.... just too hot for me once I get warmed up, but I live in GA, not NE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I use a balaclava I got from a motorcycle store.
    The bicycle specific ones seem too thick. You can
    pull it down when you feel that it's hard to breathe
    or at stoplights so your eye wear doesn't fog up.

LITTLE RED LIGHTHOUSE, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It takes some practice, but an old cross-country long distance running technique is to breath in through the nose and out the mouth. Helps control breathing pace and helps a lot with cold weather coughing. It takes a lot of practice getting used to it, but once you get it down, it's pretty good. You still end up breathing through your mouth on the crazy stuff when your brain looses control, but it's rare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to give the fleece bandana a try. I have some scrap fabric lying around so I can make one for free.

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    It takes some practice, but an old cross-country long distance running technique is to breath in through the nose and out the mouth.
    I'm working on that. The problem is that I'm still mostly out of shape, so I do a lot more huffing and puffing than I should and breathing in through the nose just doesn't bring in enough air. That leads to cold coughing, which ends up cutting the ride short.

(BTW I was a sprinter in HS and hated when the track coach made us go on distance runs in the winter. Coach had a CC background and often didn't know what to do with the sprinters. )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lightweight fleece neck gaitor. Keeps my neck warm, can pull instantly over my chin, mouth or even nose if I wanted to. Local Goodwill store sells them brand new for $2.49.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sounds like K.I.S.S. wins again. I'll forget all the fancy carbon-neoprene masks with quantum flux re-breathers and try a few basics first.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My two favorites are easily a merino neck gator and a standard Buff. I keep them both around in the cool/cold weather hiking or biking.