mtbr member

A Clothing Question

What does everyone normally wear when you ride?

Me, I just wear some athletic shorts and a white t-shirt. What are some good brands of clothing to go with? I saw some Fox clothes advertised in a MB Magazine......

Later.
    Go Raiders!

L1MEY
    I wear padded bike shorts (either lycra or baggies... I have both), and some form of moisture wicking top. The bike shorts are great, and really help if you tend to get a sore butt from riding. I have 3 pairs of Fox shorts, and they're all pretty comfortable, but expensive. Moisture wicking shirts can be anything, they don't have to be specifically meant for cycling. If you like the cycling ones they are usually pretty expensive but comfortable, and have nifty pockets in the back for keys and stuff. Alternatively you can wear a moisture wicking running or tennis shirt and it will do the job just fine.

The bottom line is that anything that wicks moisture away from your skin is good for riding. Fabric that retains water (cotton) will get uncomfortable after a while and could lead to skin rashes (yuck!). Oh, and don't wear underwear under bike shorts... it totally defeats the object

- Jen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The advice above is good, wicking top and bike shorts. As stated any old wicking top is good in warm weather, I still wear cotton sometimes.

The bike shorts are important to have some moisture wicking and to make sure the shorts don't 'bunch' in the 'contact' areas. As you ride a small bunch of fabric will abraid the flesh and wet fabric speeds the process. My favorite pair of bike shorts are Fox baggies, but that is personal preference. Deer flies and moose flies have trouble biting through baggies, but bite through spandex and I can't out rune these flies when crossing muddy sections.

mtbr member
    Good brands:

Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, Voler, Fox, Hind, Nike...and many more...there are lots of good brands out there.

In the summer I wear: Lycra bike shorts (I have a bunch of Pearl Izumi sugar shorts and Performance Century shorts), NO UNDERWEAR (causes chaffage), high impact sports bra, and usually a sleeveless cycling jersey of some kind. I like having a pocket in my jersey to hold gel, maybe a spare tube and a trail map, if I have one. For jersey brands--whatever I get for free (race or event swag) or find on sale.

I like full finger gloves, Fox Incline are my favorites. I wear bike socks, they can get wet and not cause your feet to get too cold and clammy. I particularly like wool bike socks. I wear a helmet liner of some kind, either a cycling cap or a PACE helmet liner...I have a fear of bugs getting in my hair and a few too many little inch worms come out of my hair after a ride before I stated wearing them.

I own some baggies, but only wear them for commuting.

Sharp rocks hurt...
    Depends on what i'm riding...

Technical trail on nice day,

Cheap cycling Jersy and blue jeans. The jeans keep me from getting torn up when I crash. Yeah I crash a lot...

easy mountain bike trails on hot days,

Short sleaved cycling Jersy, usualy my Team Nova jersy, and baggy bike shorts from Fox. Lots of sunblock.

Long rode rides on hot days,

loose fitting short sleave Jersy, tight cycling shorts.

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbill70
    What does everyone normally wear when you ride?

Me, I just wear some athletic shorts and a white t-shirt. What are some good brands of clothing to go with? I saw some Fox clothes advertised in a MB Magazine......

Later.
    Cut off shorts (demin or bdu's) and a t-shirt, sometimes sleeveless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Also, if you're layering in cooler weather stay away from cotton.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help gang, and flowmaster.....thanks for the pics, that's an interesting scrape 'ya got there on your leg.

Later.
    Go Raiders!

mtbr member
    I just go with anything Dry Fit by Nike. I can find it on sale a lot or at outlet stores, and it's a lot cheaper than MTB specific clothing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    if its cool out, t-shirt and padded baggies, but once it warms up i'm grabbin the jersey, they are so much cooler than cotton, and i grabbed some cool/dry starter brand socks from wal-mart, they are so much cooler than my regular socks...