mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Clothing for Colder Days Riding.

This will be my first season riding in the Fall/Winter. I will be riding some roads and some trails on my mountain bike with my son and daughter. I live in the San Francisco/Bay Area; specially in the south bay. Don't intend to ride in the rain but early morning temperatures during these months will be a little chilly. What kind of clothings do I need? Just a wind breaker for the top and thermal long pants for the bottom? Any specific clothings that you have found to work well that you would like to share? Thanks in advance and I look forward to a warm and fun fall/winter riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatbay
    This will be my first season riding in the Fall/Winter. I will be riding some roads and some trails on my mountain bike with my son and daughter. I live in the San Francisco/Bay Area; specially in the south bay. Don't intend to ride in the rain but early morning temperatures during these months will be a little chilly. What kind of clothings do I need? Just a wind breaker for the top and thermal long pants for the bottom? Any specific clothings that you have found to work well that you would like to share? Thanks in advance and I look forward to a warm and fun fall/winter riding.
    I moved to SoCal from NJ. The last trail ride my friends and I took together before I left was a night ride that ended at 10 pm with the temp of 28 deg. We seriously questioned our sanity...

Plastic grocery bags over your socks and inside your shoes work very well for keeping your feet warm and dry.

Short-sleeved jersey, arm warmers, and a wind/rain jacket. For really cold weather, I'll wear a silk undershirt, LS jersey, thin fleece shirt, and light-med weight jacket.

Spandex riding shorts + knee warmers (for daytime when it might warm up) or tights (for night time when you know it won't).

THERMAL gloves!!! or in extreme cases, crab claws. Sometimes I'll wear thin glove liners under the crab claws.

Thin fleece ear cover (looks like a head band).

Thin fleece neck cover or bandanna.

In the camelbak: space blanket. OK, so I'm a total girlscout.

Hope this helps! Stay warm!
    -sunny