mtbr member
    Jul 2006

clipless shoes cause feet to tingle, slightly numb

I just got a new bike (Giant Trance 2) and with it I have the Shim 524 platform/clipless pedals. For the first time I bought the Specialized BG sport clipless shoes and basically my feet, toes sort of get numb, tingle after about one hour of riding. Is it typicall of clipless shoes, is it circulation? The shoes I was told have to fit snuggly, which they do, but I dont feel like it is too tight. Also on my new bike, my hands feel more discomfort. I was told the raising the tip of the sit slightly higher would help, any ideas?

squish is good
    Sounds to me that they are just too tight. It could be a number of things resulting from the fit too. Bottom line, it is not normal for clipless shoes to make your feet numb and tingly any more than it would be for running shoes, but they are easy to get too tight so my recommendation is to just loosen them a bit. Also, make sure that all the straps are equally tight/loose. I found I had a tendancy to reef on the top strap near my ankle and leave the other straps kind of loose which resulted in tingly feet.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Sounds to me that they are just too tight. It could be a number of things resulting from the fit too. Bottom line, it is not normal for clipless shoes to make your feet numb and tingly any more than it would be for running shoes, but they are easy to get too tight so my recommendation is to just loosen them a bit. Also, make sure that all the straps are equally tight/loose. I found I had a tendancy to reef on the top strap near my ankle and leave the other straps kind of loose which resulted in tingly feet.
    I was just about to say the same. The first time in clipless pedals may get a little tingly because of the pressure point of the cleat onto the shoes, especially after a hard effort, but it does go away. As suggested loosen the straps a bit. If after a couple of days it still doesn't feel right, look into new shoes or even better go to a shop for a bike fit. They determine if you're shoes are fine or not and will address any other problems you may have
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A bad habit with cleats is to clench your toes, this can cause the shoe to be much tighter and cause some problems.

I have to remind myself to relax the toes and foot.

I wear my cleats and shoes all day long and they fit well.

Seat postion up/down back and forth should be checked normally just a degree or two slant.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    check the specialized body geometry insoles.

Tingleing can come fromtoo much pressure in the centre of the front of the shoe (right above the clip) from the top of the clip mount poking through the very thin hardly padded front insole.

ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just got the same shoes and have the same problem. I just think they are crappy shoes. My heel lifts up inside my shoe very easy and I have to crank down the straps till they are too tight. I still have the problem when I loosen them up and then they are very sloppy. My knees hurt more than usual with these shoes too. Too bad, I like Specialized stuff but these shoes suck.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by ixi
    I just got the same shoes and have the same problem. I just think they are crappy shoes. My heel lifts up inside my shoe very easy and I have to crank down the straps till they are too tight. I still have the problem when I loosen them up and then they are very sloppy. My knees hurt more than usual with these shoes too. Too bad, I like Specialized stuff but these shoes suck.
    If your heels are swimming around the shoes then it sounds like your shoes are a bit too big. This causes the actual reach to constantly change and this is undoubtedly the cause of your knee pain. Okay, you said your knees hurt more than usual. Does this mean you have regular knee pain? If so, you need to look into a good bike fit, ASAP.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Could be cleat placement on the shoe as well. Move the cleat around and try different positions. Normal recommendation is for it to be centered on the ball of your foot....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was having foot pain after I switched to eggbeaters (from shimano) and got new shoes and after I adjusted the position of the cleats on the shoes, the pain has gone away.
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    I own Spec. Shoes comp. My LBS sized me a size bigger than normal so the arch is in the right spot. I was concerned about this but my numbing went away. I still get tingles and numb on LONG rides (26+ miles) or if I'm pushing super hard, but I think thats cuase I'm not relaxing my feet.

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

loosen the straps with caution

I tried loosening the straps and my numb-tingly sensation went away. The shoes were just loose enough that I couldn't unclip quite as fast as before and I fell a couple of times. I now use the Specialized shoes for commuting only and a new pair of Shimano's fit me well and snug without numbness for the trails.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

I had the same problem...

on my road bike. I wound up taking off my eggbeaters off one of my mtbs and loosening up my straps. Now there is no problem other than bonking during a loooooooong ride.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    It doesn't matter for me. Any place I put the cleats or loosen the straps I still get the tingling/ my foot needs blood in the toes feeling. The only thing that makes it go away is clenching my toes in my shoes back and forth to stimulate blood flow. It’s not like I'm in any pain. It just feels like when your arm or something falls a sleep.
    Last edited by johnnychimpo; 08-06-2006 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I often wonder when I read a post with spelling this bad whether or not it's someone that's not english speaking or just someone that's lazy. Seeing you're from Virginia I'll assume your just lazy. It's very difficult to read something with so many misspellings, but after deciphering I have to agree with your post.

Is it that difficult to add a few seconds posting something to get it sort of close?

mtbr member
    Sorry about the misspellings. You are right I am lazy though when it comes to grammar and spelling. But since this forum is obviously filled with English Majors...

"I often wonder when I read a post with spelling this bad whether or not it's someone that's not English speaking or just someone that's lazy. Seeing you're from Virginia I'll assume you’re just lazy. It's very difficult to read something with so many misspellings, but after deciphering I have to agree with your post.

Is it that difficult to add a few seconds posting something to get it sort of close?"

Corrections applied.