mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Clipless shoe and pedal

I am looking for a great All mtn type shoe.I ride a stumpy evo and do pretty much everything from 35+ miles, Super D races, techy stuff at Moab, to a few DH tracks every once in a while.

Currently I ride CB candy pedals and an OLD specialized stiff sole shoe. My CB keep breaking and am sick of having to send them in for a couple weeks to get fixed or having my foot come out at the worst time cuz the pedal isn't working, so I am looking to change. I tried spd for a bit, but my knee requires something with more float. I was thinking about flats, but for longer rides and races, I think I will want to be clipped in.

Anyway, some things I am looking at is either getting some time alium pedals with a stiff soled shoe or time z strong with something like the shimano AM45. OR do Time Z strong with a stiff shoe, but maybe that would just be stupid and unecessary weight....I don't really know.

I am at a loss and don't want to drop a ton of cash trying out different stuff. I want to keep the shoes under $90.00 and the same for pedals.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    when i road candies i always did maintainance myself. super easy, no need to send them in. i still ride them on long rides. cb system works best for me. you need to try how different systems work for you and than decide
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Michigan Wolverine
    I've always been a Time fan. Had Aliums back when I used to race BMX and never had a problem with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool, I think I am leaning more towards the Time pedals. What is a good shoe to go with either the alium or Z strong pedals? Would a stiff shoe be preferable over a shoe similar to the shimano SH-AM45? Or would there be no difference?

LightJunction.com
    I ride Crank Brothers Mallets personally, but I've heard nothing but good about those ATACs. I've had problems with some of the Eggbeater and Candy pedals as far as damaging the splines, but the Mallets have been holding up for a few seasons now without any problems.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    I ride Crank Brothers Mallets personally, but I've heard nothing but good about those ATACs. I've had problems with some of the Eggbeater and Candy pedals as far as damaging the splines, but the Mallets have been holding up for a few seasons now without any problems.
    Cool. Thanks i will have to give these a look. What shoe do you use?

Huffy Rider
    I like the Pearl Izumi X-Alp series. They are great for when you have to hike-a-bike and work awesome as a cycling shoe.

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Cool. Thanks i will have to give these a look. What shoe do you use?
    Mavic Razors primarily, but I've also got a set of cheaper Louis Garneau shoes...can't remember the exact model.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com