mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Clipless pedals and shoes, what to buy?

I am looking at getting a set of Shimano M520 Clipless pedals. What else do i need other than shoes, to use these pedals? I hear some talk of cleats, what are cleats, and do i need to purchase those too. Do i need a specific sized shoe to run these pedals, or will any shoe work? Thanks in advance!

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis89325is
    I am looking at getting a set of Shimano M520 Clipless pedals. What else do i need other than shoes, to use these pedals? I hear some talk of cleats, what are cleats, and do i need to purchase those too. Do i need a specific sized shoe to run these pedals, or will any shoe work? Thanks in advance!
    Cleats come with new pedals. It's a little metal tab that screws into the bottom of cycling shoes.

You will need shoes designed to accept those cleats. Your LBS should have a big wall of shoes that are SPD (Shimano Pedal?) compatible.

You should get the specific size that fits you.

There's no app for this.

get some

elbow pads... begged, borrowed, or stolen. You will fall over clipped in, and naturally try to break your fall with your elbow. We ALL have been there. Start on grass, not pavement, or a gentler trail.. rocks and asphalt are a tad harder on the bones.

Jim

mtbr member

Get Crank Bros Mallets!!

I bought Crank Bros Mallets and Shimano SPD shoes and I'm real happy. I use the Mallet because it has a platform and clip...so if I come to a tough section and want to just pedal, I can unclip and still use my legs for balance, and can still pedal. When the trail smooths out, I clip in and start cranking away.

The Mallets are a combination clip-in and platform...I've had them for 6 weeks and I'm real happy. I'm still getting used to clipping in...so I'm happy having both options...

I got the shoes and pedals for $150...delivered. I'd buy them all over again

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Where did you purchase that setup Vegas Kev?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    You will need shoes designed to accept those cleats. Your LBS should have a big wall of shoes that are SPD (Shimano Pedal?) compatible.
    SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics.

Slower than you...
    If this is your first time going clipless, you would do well to look at a pedal with an integrated platform. Others have mentioned the Mallets (a popular choice). I run Shimano's M545 & really like the flexibility the integrated platform offers. If I'm approaching a sketchy section where it looks like I'll need to dab, I'll clip one foot out (just in case) & continue to pedal with my foot just a little forward of where it needs to be.

Under no circumstances should you get a pedal with clip-in on one side & platform on the other (Shimano's M324, for example). At first glance, this appears to be the ideal solution. However, in practice, Murphy's Law takes over & the side you're trying to get into is always facing down. Makes getting a firm footing a dangerous affair - eyes off the trail, futzing with the pedal.

tdh

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    I am currently running PD M520s on my summer bike and they are a good starter set in my opinion.

As far as what the other posters have said regarding what design concept to get, I have to agree with them that if you get pedals, do not get the ones that have clip-ins on one side and a platform on the other. Get the ones where the clip-ins are accessible on both sides of the pedal if you do decide to go that route. When you get them put on, practice, practice, practice. Find a nice soft patch of grass, clip in, clip out, both sides, try and go as slow as you can before you clip out, then go slower. Go so slow that you are almost falling over, then do it again. It may seem stupid, or monotonous, but when you are on the trail and you really need to clip out, it'll pay off.

Also, pay close attention to the instructions about putting the cleats on the shoes. They'll save you having to get new plates when you have to have them drilled when the screws bind.

Have fun!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Jenson...probably the best window-shopping site around. They have a ton of stuff and will do instant price matching. I found the pedals for $10 cheaper at another site and they matched it. They were the best price on shoes...so I got a great deal....and now I start there when I'm buying new stuff

mtbr member
    Jenson...probably the best window-shopping site around. They have a ton of stuff and will do instant price matching. I found the pedals for $10 cheaper at another site and they matched it. They were the best price on shoes...so I got a great deal....and now I start there when I'm buying new stuff

Ninja Please
    Jan 2004
    I got 661 Launch shoes and Time Control Z pedals. And absolutly love them. Plus the shoes don't look like clown shoes.

mtbr member
    I learned to ride clipless on 520's...very good basic pedals!

For shoes I recommend Pearl Izumi Vegabonds...Performace Bikes had them for like $55 last time I checked. Granted, they don't look very snazzy/cool/hard core, but they really do work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I went clipless about a year ago and it made a huge diff. in my ridding, you will love them, i started out with shimano 959's- bit pricey but they have different models with same basic idea but made out off different metals, and i have Oakley Radar Locke shoes, once again a bit procy but amazingly confortable and easy to clip in. If you buy oakley shoes always buy a half size up>>>

Dave