mtbr member
    May 2008

Clear Sunglass recommendations?

I'm looking for some clear sunglasses because this time of year I always get a bunch of crap in my eyes. Antifog is a big plus.

Ideally, the lenses would be replaceable and come with lenses that change tint depending on light but that's not as big of a concern as the antifog.

I don't want to spend a lot, but if could spend a bit if there's a big difference in quality.

Any recommendations?

turtles make me hot
    I have Wiley X Bricks. One pair with clear lenses and one pair with grey polarized.
    I love em.
    I use C-Clear on the lenses.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The X Bricks look nice but I wound up going with the Tifosi Duro Interchangables for about $50 - Tifosi Optics Duro? Interchangeable Gloss Black/Smoke/AC Red/Clear Lens - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways. They're suppose to work well for anit-fog and they come with 3 lenses so will be good depending on when and where I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Are you a police officer, firefighter, military, former military? Oakley has a government issue web site with their sunglasses ~ 50% off.

Resident Gear Head
    Oakley, forever and always
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

ESS CDI have replacement lenses and that is what I use for biking, range, or field work. They are ballistic protection lenses and a new set of lenses is around $20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Performance multi-lens glasses are such a good desl...Under $30.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    NATIVE brand has vented swapable lenses @ REI

I have a pair of clear safty glasses w/ UV pertection from HomeDepot for $9.99
    (same "okley" style as most cycleing sunglasses) I keep them in my HydroPack for thoes days when my sunglasses are too dark (old man eyes)...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

beater

I'd find it hard to buy anything but Smith for interchangeable lenses. You can often find great prices, and they have one of the best warranties out there. No questions asked replacement. As long as you don't lose them, you have sunglasses for life.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run some Oakley M-Frames and they're great. I belive the Oakley radar has clear frames as well. Both fit really well, have high coverage lenses, and really hang on to your head when you're bumping around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I'd find it hard to buy anything but Smith for interchangeable lenses. You can often find great prices, and they have one of the best warranties out there. No questions asked replacement. As long as you don't lose them, you have sunglasses for life.
    Has their policy changed recently? I'm not familiar with Smith, but I greatly appreciate companies that truly stand behind their products so I checked out their website since I'm thinking about getting a pair of sunglasses myself.

You can read the full text of their warranty here: Smith Optics Lifetime Warranty | Smith Optics US Site but the relevant section states:

"Scope and Duration of the Warranty: This warranty program lasts for the lifetime of your Smith product. This warranty program covers all parts of your Smith product and applies to all types of manufacturing defects or failure. The warranty program does not cover product that is lost, stolen, dropped, shattered, sat on, chewed by your pet or any other damage that is caused by the consumer." [emphasis added]

That's actually a pretty limited warranty. I appreciate that it's for the life of your product, but if it doesn't even cover them being dropped, it's pretty far from a no questions asked replacement policy.

Does anyone know of a company that really does offer a comprehensive lifetime warranty, perhaps with a reduced replacement cost for damaged items similar to some frame companies crash replacement programs?

beater

I haven't had cause to use it for a couple years, but it's not uncommon for companies to have a more restrictive policy on the books than in practice. Anecdotally, a number of my friends have had excellent warranty experiences with them, too.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balto78 View Post
    Has their policy changed recently? I'm not familiar with Smith, but I greatly appreciate companies that truly stand behind their products so I checked out their website since I'm thinking about getting a pair of sunglasses myself.

You can read the full text of their warranty here: Smith Optics Lifetime Warranty | Smith Optics US Site but the relevant section states:

"Scope and Duration of the Warranty: This warranty program lasts for the lifetime of your Smith product. This warranty program covers all parts of your Smith product and applies to all types of manufacturing defects or failure. The warranty program does not cover product that is lost, stolen, dropped, shattered, sat on, chewed by your pet or any other damage that is caused by the consumer." [emphasis added]

That's actually a pretty limited warranty. I appreciate that it's for the life of your product, but if it doesn't even cover them being dropped, it's pretty far from a no questions asked replacement policy.

Does anyone know of a company that really does offer a comprehensive lifetime warranty, perhaps with a reduced replacement cost for damaged items similar to some frame companies crash replacement programs?
    Useless "no questions" warranty if it asks questions. Sadly Oakley used to be the same way with an amazing warranty and they dropped that years ago. Tifosis are very nice but Id recommend trying them on as they are wildly different in width and size from type to type.