Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Cleaning/Sanatizing Water Bladder

Well after each ride I usually empty out as much water as I can, then hang it upside down to let whatever waters left drain out and let it dry. This is now my second season of doing this method.

The other day I went riding just as usual but after the ride my stomach started to hurt and I was up till about 5am with pretty bad stomach pain, thought I was gonna have to make a trip to the doctors. I hate them so I didnt go, lol.

Its day 3 now and its slowly going away, still lingering but no where close to what it was like that day. Every day it seems get get better.

I'm not sure it was 100% my bladder, but I feel as if my water got contaminated and caused this "illness".

My question is pretty much do you think I should try cleaning out this bladder or be safe and pitch it and grab a new one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just wash it good, and put it in the freezer. That will kill bacteria. Every time you use it just empty the bladder, and put it in the freezer. If you only put it water in it, and put it in the freezer when you are done, you will never have to clean it again. I have been doing it for about 3 years with my small hiking Camelbak, and I do it with my Camelbak MULE too. I've never cleaned a bladder. Never got sick. Never got a funny taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What did you eat that day? It almost sounds like food poisoning tbh. If your pack had a few specs of mold / mildew in it, it shouldn't affect you (mold/water dilution + stomach acids). If it had enough to cause severe pains, then you probably wouldn't have even used it to begin with...

But as Treyness said, wash it out (Camelbak makes cleaning tablets).. after each use just throw it in the freezer and you'll be good.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Yea see I think it could be something I ate as well.
    I went fishing in the morning so I had half a mcdick's bacon n egg biscuit and a hashbrown. Then I came home from fishing, and mixed up a big salad (it was not leafy greens, it was thin raw veg which did contain a lot of gas causing veg like brussel sprouts, broc and maybe califlow etc... Thats all I had that day, I did have half a home made "energy bar" mid ride, but my buddy had the other half and he was fine, nor was it the first one of them I've ate.

Anyways, what about the hose and mouth piece? Can you ever really get that area clean? Do you freeze those as well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Personally I just make sure the hose has been cleared of water; but it shouldn't be an issue with freezing those as well.

I personally think it was the bacon and egg biscuit though that did ya in. I have had food poisoning from McD's before.

mtbr member
    Didn't know about the freezer method, sounds useful. Ever once in awhile I fill mine up and add a small dose of bleach, shake it up and run a bunch out the tube, and then rinse it out.

I think it also helps to put a bent wire or something inside the bladder to hold it open so it can dry, otherwise the plastic sticks together and it stays moist.

mtbr member
    ^^^^+1 on the bleach

B.Ike
    I use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach.

mtbr member

Re: Cleaning/Sanatizing Water Bladder

Efferdent it once in awhile.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    if usually empty the bladder, take off the hose, and also the bite valve. rinse the bite valve with mouth wash. Let them dry. sometimes I use very warm water to rinse clean. always take off the bite valve, it is such a water trap if you leave it attached to the hose.

mtbr member

I use denture cleanser (efferdent). 40 tablets are a couple of bucks vs what camelback wants for a few of theirs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A few times a year I use a cap full of bleach, and fill it halfway with hot water. Shake the bejeezum out of it, and drain it through the bite valve. Rinse it a few times (you will never get every bit of the bleach taste out) and it's good to go...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    a dish washing brush from the grocer works well. a pipe cleaning brush tied to string takes care of the hose.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    a dish washing brush from the grocer works well. a pipe cleaning brush tied to string takes care of the hose.
    If life has taught me anything its that pipe cleaners are only to be used in conjunction with glue and glitter for school arts and crafts projects.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    If life has taught me anything its that pipe cleaners are only to be used in conjunction with glue and glitter for school arts and crafts projects.
    youre thinking of something else...

Amazon.com: Ateco Large Tube Cleaning Brush: Kitchen & Dining

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I fill mine with hot water and shake like mad, then let it empty through the hose. Rinse, repeat couple times. I might do this once every couple/three weeks. Never have I drained mine after a ride, and have never used chemicals or detergents. I am very careful not to touch the inside of the bladder, nor leave it exposed to air unless filling it. Been doing this with the same bladder for 11/12 months. I do like the idea of freezing it though, never thought of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Efferdent it once in awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I use denture cleanser (efferdent). 40 tablets are a couple of bucks vs what camelback wants for a few of theirs.
    Wow, never thought of this! What is the procedure you guys use?

NMBP
    I've been using the same bladder for 8 to 10 years. It lives in my freezer with some water in it. How much water depends on the time of year. I like cold water, so this lasts longer that ice cubes. Don't drop a frozen bladder, it will kill it.

My bladder is an older style 100 oz Camelbak with the small screw top. The larger screw top will freeze to the ice and it can be very difficult to remove the lid and add water.

I've never had an issue with bad tasting water but my tap water is quite good. I only use water in the bladder, no sugary crap.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    wow,glad i've noticed this thread..after riding with wife last sunday, in the middle of night she's awake with stomach ache deeply..
    we couldn't figured out what happened but now I know why! because of her bladder!
    for that ride, i haven't took my hydro-pack with me, only got bottle of water and drunk only half of it..

now i threw both of our bladder to deep-freeze with some water in them..
    thanks for the idea..
    2012 Trek Slash 9

troll
    Seconded on the denture cleaning tablets that dissolve in water. You can buy a box of 40-50 for just a few bucks, and the box will last a really long time. I buy the kind for smokers, they are extra strength and dissolve in just a couple of minutes. This is the way I've sanitized water bladders, Nalgenes, bike water bottles and growlers for years and years. Works like a charm.