Poll: 1) Are CF Helmets worth the money and 2) If they cost the same which would you choose

Thunder Chunky

CF helmets...worth it?

Are Carbon Fiber helmets worth the extra money? If a carbon fiber helmet and a compostie helmet cost the same ammount which would you choose? (you get 2 votes in the pole...one for if its worth the extra money and one for if they were the same ammount)Besides weight are there any other advantages? Are they ventilated better sice they are stronger and therefore can afford to have more air holes running through them?
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    If you're sponsored by Specialized and get your CF helmets for free, then sure.

But remember you should replace your helmet after every real "use". So if you fall down and hit your helmet, you might be making this decision once more.

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A CF Helmet is definitely worth it. If you ride for long period of time, this helps so much with fatigue. They are more money, but well worth it.

this account retired
    I dont know....not for me I dont think. I will be checking out the Rockgardn Blacklite Helmet....weight seems good and it looks great; might be the perfect ticket as its way more affordable.

dirt rules
    There are some pretty nice helmets out there that are very close in weight to the CF helmets, without the hefty price tag. I would rather save the $$

mtbr member
    It is lighter, and holding them side by side there is a difference.....but I don't even notice a big difference in riding with my tld carbon d2 on from that of my old giro madmax

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    IIRC the CF Deviant is something like 40-80g lighter than the non-CF. Is that worth the extra $200? Only if you've got cash to burn.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    it will feel as if your wearing no helmet...
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    quick Q:
    How much (un)safer are CF helmets? I've always thought that they couldn't take a hit like the composite ones, and definetly not multiple impacts like their cheaper cousins. Anyone have any info on this?
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    There are some pretty nice helmets out there that are very close in weight to the CF helmets, without the hefty price tag. I would rather save the $$
    very true....unless I get a great deal then it is all about a regular helmet...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Carbon fiber is argumentitively the strongest thing on the MTB market today. The major Flaw is that though it is strong, its impact resistance isn't worth a $#!T. Not that Composite is the best thing in the world, but I wouldn't rate one stronger than the other. they've been using composite helmets since forever now. Because of the slight advantages and over all cool look of carbon fiber, manufacturers' have been able to use it as the biggest marketing ploy known to the MTB market today.

One advantage of Carbon Fiber, in itself, is that it has the ability to disapate heat very quickly; much faster than any alloy. I'm not sure how fast composite helmets are able to disapate heat. Heck, i'm not sure if it even makes a difference with all the padding and insulation.

Other than a few measily grams,( maybe a couple or so ounces) and a cool look, I don't really see the advantage of Carbon Fiber helmets. If they were the same price, I'd probably pick which one looks better. As for the rediculous over-cost of CF, It is the main reason I have, and will probably never get one...

And Like someone said earlier in the tread: Once you take a good smack on your helmet once, you are suppose to replace it anyway regardless of what its made of... all that money spent on CF DOWN THE DRAIN!!! you make the choice...
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

The choice is yours to make...

All these opinions on here will only land you back at square one. Sure CF helmets are lighter, a bit stronger but cost a bunch more. Someone said it earlier in the thread, no matter how strong your lid is, it should ALWAYS be replaced after a serious crash. Helmets are not designed to take multiple blows to the head. It drastically reduces their structural integrity every time. Scrapes are fine and you see many with lots of them. But blows to the dome are not meant to be repeated.

Do you see helmets out there that have taken multiple hits and are still being used? Sure, but do you really want to risk it? Go for the composite helmet. That's just my two cents.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    As for the rediculous over-cost of CF...
    It's not THAT bad, I mean some of the TLD are only $40-50. more for CF. I know the new ones are a buttload but some of the 07's are only $50. difference.

Been running my CF lid for a year now feels like I don't even have a helmet on. But I don't really slam my head into the ground.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    And Like someone said earlier in the tread: Once you take a good smack on your helmet once, you are suppose to replace it anyway regardless of what its made of... all that money spent on CF DOWN THE DRAIN!!! you make the choice...
    Thats why you go with 661 free replacement after a crash
    Purple Popcorn

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub

Do you see helmets out there that have taken multiple hits and are still being used?
    They are called Pro Tec helmets

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wako29
    quick Q:
    How much (un)safer are CF helmets? I've always thought that they couldn't take a hit like the composite ones, and definetly not multiple impacts like their cheaper cousins. Anyone have any info on this?

The shell isn't what stops the impact. The foam inside the shell is what save the skull. But yeah. I can imagine the CF one cracking alot more than a standard helmet given the same impact.

Is that true about 661 free crash replacement?

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Is that true about 661 free crash replacement?
    ok lied I thought it was free but its not...just emailed them to confirm and they said not free but at a large discount so even then a new carbon helmet through their crash replacement would be cheaper than buying a new composite everytime from another company. Seems like a good deal to me
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    Right now im considering the rockgardn blacklite(not cf but about the same weight), 661 full bravo 2 carbon and 661 flight carbon(an older model so its actually pretty cheap). What do you guys think?
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    If it fits properly then it does not matter what it is made of. As long as it protects your noggin then all is good.

That being said if it fits properly then I would go CF. Of Titanium. Bling RULES.

moaaar shimz
    Fox rampage FTW, saved my face last weekend and compared to my buddy's Remedy which has a weaksauce visor, mine was intact

mtbr member
    i just got a 661 08 flight icon! its awesome. it is kevlar and composite and carbon but it is still a heck of heavier than the pro bravo, but the flight is DOT/Snell approved

Equal opportunity meanie
    Carbon Fiber is sweet....if you like getting your brains shitrattled on impact and having to replace the helmet after a good crash. I might consider running one if all I rode were smooth soft courses with no rocks or trees - if I got it for free and had free replacements.

Flight or D2 SE all the way.

Well, For those of you who keep on emphasizing about how the CF helmets feel like your not even wearing one, then...well.... Its hard for me to believe your even riding nearly hard enough if you have that much time to wonder about such things while you are riding. When I'm bombing down something, I sure as heck can't tell my Helmet is their ether because thats the last thing that should be on anybodies mind. I'm too busy getting adrenaline pump'd and scanning for things that would otherwise ruin my life. I don't have time to wonder: gee? how light does thes CF helmet feel??? I'm so neeto! How cool does my dinky little CF weive glisten in the sun?!? Oh, I wonder how my pocket protector is doing??? #_(*%&_#^&_)#^(&*+)#^+&*%$#@@! You guys probably run CF bars, seat posts, and brake levers, don't yuh? See how long that $#!T lasts along with your helmet after a crash or two... A good rider knows that for crashing, its not IF, its WHEN!!!! And unless your using a full MX helmet (which actually weighs a lot) You really shouldn't be complaining about the weight of any MTB full faced Helmet... Hey, I'm just saying... opinions...right???

Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    ok lied I thought it was free but its not...just emailed them to confirm and they said not free but at a large discount so even then a new carbon helmet through their crash replacement would be cheaper than buying a new composite everytime from another company. Seems like a good deal to me

They probably have a crash replacement discount for composite helmets as well... don't cut em short.

mtbr member
    Carbon fiber isn't just a fad.

Today's Formula 1 racers are required by mandate to be made from carbon fiber to meet safety requirements.
    The structure of carbon fiber lets it nearly disintegrate completely in a crash, which to the untrained observer might be viewed as a "bad" or "weak" thing, however its quite the opposite. Cars today have things like crumple zones which absorb the huge amounts of energy exerted in a crash. Metal crumple zones can only do so much however, as it can only be deformed so far before it bends onto itself and stops bending, which starts transferring the energy into whats behind it: YOU!

Carbon fiber can disperse more energy in an impact (when properly taken into design for this!) because unlike metal, it can crush completely, into nearly dust. This lets it absorb quite a bit more energy in a crash, which keeps race car drivers saf(er) at much higher speed crashes than that on our public roads. (plus break away cockpits and other niceties)

So how can this help in a helmet? Well I'm not sure if any company has invested the resources to exploit this feature of carbon fiber, or if they're just using it for its bling factor. Feel free to send me one and I'll...investigate. ;-)

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    Carbon fiber isn't just a fad.

The structure of carbon fiber lets it nearly disintegrate completely in a crash, which to the untrained observer might be viewed as a "bad" or "weak" thing, however its quite the opposite. Cars today have things like crumple zones which absorb the huge amounts of energy exerted in a crash. Metal crumple zones can only do so much however, as it can only be deformed so far before it bends onto itself and stops bending, which starts transferring the energy into whats behind it: YOU!

Carbon fiber can disperse more energy in an impact (when properly taken into design for this!) because unlike metal, it can crush completely, into nearly dust. This lets it absorb quite a bit more energy in a crash, which keeps race car drivers saf(er) at much higher speed crashes than that on our public roads. (plus break away cockpits and other niceties)

So how can this help in a helmet? Well I'm not sure if any company has invested the resources to exploit this feature of carbon fiber, or if they're just using it for its bling factor. Feel free to send me one and I'll...investigate. ;-)
    Too bad MTB carbon helmets only use a percentage of carbon fiber in the design as it is still a composite (its just a greater percentage of carbon instead of fiberglass in the "carbon" helmets). The benefits from that are exclusively weight savings. As far as I know the only standard it needs to meet is a rigidity test.

Members who have read this thread: 0