VRC Illuminati

A Cat Pissed On My New MTB Shoes.

So I'm really excited to have bought new shoes. Nice Shimano M221's. Broke them in on a few rides. I left them on our back deck overnight to dry out after a wet ride.
    They were up on a table.

Now they smell funny. Like...cat piss funny. It's faint, but no matter what I do, the smell doesn't go away.

Febreze doesn't help. I ran them though the washing machine even. Smell is still there.

So what the hell do I do to get rid of the smell!?

I'd hate to bin a brand new set of MTB shoes, but my feet smell bad enough as it is...I don't need them smelling like cat urine too.

Any suggestions?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

Can't get right...
    U r assed out! Buy new shoes. I got 3 cats..little fockers. Peed on my gearbag. Thank god i dont have to wear that thing but u can almost smell it in the truck after washing and fabreezing the hell out of it numerous times.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

[SIZE=2]If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    This isn't going to help the shoes, but i'd find that f'in cat and kill it.

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    This isn't going to help the shoes, but i'd find that f'in cat and kill it.
    Hey cats r people too... just find the cat and piss on it. eye for an eye(shoe) type thing.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

[SIZE=2]If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.[/SIZE]

mtbr member

I'd find the cat...

and choke the sh@t out of him.
    All day long, BAM, BAM, BAM, Foot up the cats arse!!!
    Truffle Shuffle

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Hey cats r people too... just find the cat and piss on it. eye for an eye(shoe) type thing.
    That mental image is just priceless, and I totally agree.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I'd try ammonia.

Dear Stinky,

Ammonia is your best bet for something that'll get the cat-reek into suspension and then washes out.

Ron

VRC Illuminati
    That's not what I wanted to hear from you guys about not being able to get the smell out.

But...it is what I wanted to hear about retribution for feline actions against my new shoes!

Ron, thanks for the tip on the ammonia. I'll give it a shot, but I'm still going to kick the neighborhood cats for a spell.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    it's like what my grandmother always used to say. The only good cat is a flying cat.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member

Crosman Pellet Gun

10 pumps, sneak up, point blank to the head. HHmmnn or maybe tied up with blindfold, execution style.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Now, now. Are you sure it was the cats? You said it was a wet ride.....sounds like a smell you brought home, or maybe even dampness settling in after it mingled with your own sweat (which contains some of the same components as urine, after all.)

If it was your cat, then it was probably upset that the new item didn't smell familiar, and it had to solve that "problem." Your cat doesn't want its person to go out in the world and then have some other cat try to bring you home, thinking you're a stray person.

I learned these things the hard way............
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

luckiest of the unlucky
    Your only choice is to hunt down the cat and make a new pair of uppers out of its hide. Otherwise, it sounds like you've done what you can to get the pee out. Just wear them- the smell will fade with time.

I've thrown out a lot of stuff due to my sister's cat and an old roommate's cat that both had a habit of going into the storage area and peeing on stuff. Never tried the ammonia thing but repeated washings were of limited help. That stuff's persistent. Hard to get even with a cat that's not yours, though (I like the idea of peeing on the cat, or at least in their box, but that would likely start a peeing war you wouldn't win).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Riding dirt since 1970

... and if we just ... Damb, you guys lets cats piss on your bike kit?

I understood the wonders of cats by breifly dating a few women that owned "inside" cats. Annetes cat (a large male something...)would wait until I was in that deep, satisied after love sleep, jump as high as he could muster @ 20 lbs. and land squarly on my torso. This in turn would cause me an instantaneus full body spasm that launches my body an even 6" head to toe off my peaceful, yet cat hair covered spot in Annettes bed. My eyes would open (red with the cat dander) about the time I landed on my face from the 6 ' freefall. For perhaps a second, I seemed to recall a hint of an urge to retaliate. The cat was gone in the dark in an instant. Rather than go turning over furniture in Anntettes apt., I just pulled a few cat hairs from my mouth and re-passed out. I reget that that otherwise very satisfying relationship was brief. I am now married to a (female) veterinarian who already had a schnauzer, a great dane mix, and two felines. Due to my allergies, they all now reside outdoors (including my Dobe mix)- except for the cats. We've moved twice, and each time I've built them small, adjoining, air-conditioned, insulated cat villas I respect my wifes' undrstanding to accomodate me-she loves those animals. The great dane requires an electric fence, but I think he enjoys "defending" his back yard territory more than being locked in a kennel indoors and walked three times a day. Sorry to roam off point, but the bottom line is that the cats that are pissing on your gear seak to "mark" the strong scent they find on your gear. In their natural cat society, males mark as much territory as thet can defend aginst other competition for females. When they are confined, they will mark the thing that smells most like cat pee. Namely your "kit"
    Med. Nomad C for sale

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    This should make you feel better..

More Amusement - Not For Kitty Lovers!

What about shoe deoderizer(sp??).... it won't 'clean' your shoes, but it will get rid of the smell for a little while...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Had the same thing happen to a camelbak once, nobody wanted to follow me for a few rides Got it out with 3 wash cycles heavy with Simple Green.

XCdude

Is male cat marking his territory, ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    So I'm really excited to have bought new shoes. Nice Shimano M221's. Broke them in on a few rides. I left them on our back deck overnight to dry out after a wet ride.
    They were up on a table.

Now they smell funny. Like...cat piss funny. It's faint, but no matter what I do, the smell doesn't go away.

Febreze doesn't help. I ran them though the washing machine even. Smell is still there.

I'd hate to bin a brand new set of MTB shoes, but my feet smell bad enough as it is...I don't need them smelling like cat urine too.

Any suggestions?
    you can clean them, if you want you can go to a carpet cleaning place and get the right product. But a good soap, some vinager and a washer should do it. You didn't think I was going to throw out my brand new sidis

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Natures Miracle or PetZyme from any pet store. Designed to remove urine.
    Soak 'em down and let the shoes air dry. The oder will be gone. If it has set in because of what you have already tried you may need to repeat it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Slowest Rider

Stinky Shoes from cats, you say?

Hey Eric, don't you live in Los Gatos, spanish for "the cats"?

Maybe it wasn't the cat. Cat piss smell is very distinctive and very strong, and very tough to every get rid of the smell. (I pretty quickly got rid of my older cat with urinary issues.)

I was riding in the mud of Santa Teresa when it was real wet. My shoes got muddy from the ride. I even did an endo into the mud that was pretty stinky. I think horses added something to the mud, which smells more like a sewer when I'd put my nose into it.

After this trip, my shoes had a faint smell like a sewer for a few weeks, sometimes barely tolerable when I put them on, in spite of being washed off a lot. I never left them outside, and my indoor cat can't open the door with it's paw to get into the garage where my dirty bike shoes reside.

Just give them some more washing and more time. Mine are starting to get better now. When they get wet, the smell gets worse though.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Ride Instigator

Like I always say...

The only good cat is a taco .

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Try washing them in Mr. Clean. It works to get out the most nasty funk out of bike armour & hockey gear so is should work on cat pee.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    They were up on a table.

Any suggestions?
    Yep. This stuff is guaranteed to work... I unfortunately and inadvertently locked my incredibly patient kitty into my rec closet one long weekend... he responded by peeing all over the head hood area of my new down sleeping bag. Ugh!

Anyway, it's called Pure Ayer, found on the internet at www.caturine.com. Works like a miracle, and is far more effective than the stuff you find in the pet store. Trust me, I've tried that stuff too.

Best part is that it's all natural, food-grade stuff that even smells good. Kinda expensive, but cheaper than new shoes.

Have fun!

MG
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

a cycologist

Nature's Miracle all the way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Natures Miracle or PetZyme from any pet store. Designed to remove urine.
    Soak 'em down and let the shoes air dry. The oder will be gone. If it has set in because of what you have already tried you may need to repeat it.
    That stufff is amazing. It's specially designed to eliminate the odor. It works well for things you can't wash. Just get the material soaking wet and then let it air dry. The label says that it may take up to 2 weeks to fully dry and eliminate the smell. It works. We use it on our carpets for dog accidents and for our luggage when my sister's dog decided to mark it before we left for the airport back in Christmas. I doubted it, because the smell wouldn't leave the luggage immediately but I waited two weeks and voila! it was gone.

I would buy stock in this stuff if I could.
    "Spread love. It's the Brooklyn way."

Biggie Smalls

Complete Bastard
    Nature's miracle doesn't work. I've tried it. I had a cat with a bladder infection (stone) and he pissed all over the place. I've tried all that crap, natures miracle, petzyme, whatever. Then I got some of this:

https://www.thornell.com/Product.aspx?prod_id=5

It's the only one I've tried and it completely removed all the piss from my carpets.

They also make some stuff specifically for cats but I haven't used it. If it works as good as KOE, it's the bomb.

FYI, the smelly stuff in cat urine is ammonia, I doubt ammonia is going to take it out.