mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Casco Viper Helmet

Has anyone purchased a Casco Viper helmet from Chain Reaction in England? If so how much did you spend? Does anyone know where else you can get the helmet?

mtbr member

for sale here in phx

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/bik/319159448.html

this guy is selling a lot, including that helmet.

mtbr member

Germany

Imported mine from germany nearley two years ago....a very good lid imo.

Perpetual Hack
    MEC - Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada has them in store.
    I have not seen them in the Catalogue or Online, but a phone call probably would not hurt. They were 220.00 Candian.

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text....=1177686413621

HTH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    MEC - Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada has them in store.
    I have not seen them in the Catalogue or Online, but a phone call probably would not hurt. They were 220.00 Candian.

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text....=1177686413621

HTH
    I don't think they have them anymore. I saw one on the shelf, it was on special and if I remember well it was written "discontinued" on the sign! Real bugger if the discontinued it, this helmet is really slick, much nicer then my Giro Switchblade.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Anyone had to 'test' one yet? The only rider I've met with one wasn't too convinced- he didn't think it would help much in a faceplant as the lower portion will still get slammed into the jaw. Said it was due to the lower part being too close to the jaw, and the helmet is easy to push backwards off the skull (unlike a full face).

Otherwise, I'd like to buy one.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Anyone had to 'test' one yet?
    Start here. Then go here, where there are a bunch of AM helmet links. Also, you can enter Casco Viper here and see what pops up.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Start here. Then go here, where there are a bunch of AM helmet links. Also, you can enter Casco Viper here and see what pops up.
    Thanks- I read those a couple of months back... I was wondering if anyone else could chime it with new info.

General concensus seems to be that the helmet is well made, but the one guy who I've met who actually has one pointed out a potential design flaw that I've been wondering about and hasn't been mentioned in any reviews I've managed to find on it yet.

househusband
    Having seen them and tried them on I would say they're a bit of a 'halfway house' - if that translates into American English well enough. If you think you may need more protection (as in face/mouth/jaw) than an XC helmet would offer then get a proper full-face helmet - or if you do want something lightweight then a Spesh Deviant, Giro Remedy, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by househusband
    Having seen them and tried them on I would say they're a bit of a 'halfway house' - if that translates into American English well enough. If you think you may need more protection (as in face/mouth/jaw) than an XC helmet would offer then get a proper full-face helmet - or if you do want something lightweight then a Spesh Deviant, Giro Remedy, etc.
    The thing with those, I'll call them "hybrid" full face is that they are great for the trails where you have to climb for a long time non stop and then it's down all the way. I have a Giro Switchblade which is definitely not as nice as the Casco but still interesting. When I'm going up, I can pull down the mouth guard a lot so that it's easier to breathe and the helmet doesn't make you sweat like the regular full face. With the Casco you can even just unsnap the mouth guard. Then when you're going down, I clearly understand that it is not the protection of a full face at all but it is still a bit more then a regular xc helmet. I find these hybrid helmet very nice if you take them for what they are, an xc helmet with a bit more protection.

mtbr member
    This is my girlfriends mouth 1 day after she faceplanted 2 months ago. It was a stupid crash on a trail she'd ridden a million times before.

The next day she went into surgery to relocate her teeth back and scrub the gravel and dirt out of her chin, gums, and upper lip. And she got stitches on the inside of her lip, and on her gums on both sides of her teeth. Then she got braces thru her gums to hold her teeth up. 5 weeks later they had to put her under to take the braces out of her gums.

She gets 4 root canals next Tuesday. After that heals up she'll be in standard braces for 12-18 months. She'll have to get cosmetic surgery (not covered by insurance) to clean up the scars on her face.

She doesn't really ride much anymore.

I still ride a whole lot, so I bought 2 Casco Vipers from Chain Reaction. It came to $398 delivered to my door for 2 helmets ($20 discount over $200, free shipping over $300). I bought 1 to wear, 1 to sell. Not looking to make any money on it, just trying to keep the cost down.

I really wish I had bought the helmets before she biffed. I wear mine as an open face on the climbs and as a full face on the way down. It won't protect like a DH helmet for impacts, but for sure it will be a lot better than an open face for impacts and abrasion.

(The one for sale in the now dead craigslist ad above is mine. email me if you want it, $200 + shipping and paypal fees)
    -MitchB

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been eyeing this helmet for a while too, and have read the reports. I have friends going to Eurobike later in the year, and may give them a bit of cash to bring one back. My old Switchblade has seen some long-term abuse, and the inside padding is all but gone. It's not a comfortable lid any more. I have a full face THE One that I ride for burlier rides, but it's a little too warm for climbing, especially as things warm up here in California.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Oh, So Interesting!
    I updated this thread:

AM Helmet: Casco Viper MX review

The Viper is an OK helmet... my new Spec Deviant is way more comfortable comparing them both as ff helmets but the removable jaw of the Casco is really nice. Also, the Deviant has removable face pads, which I replaced with 1/4" thick closed cell foam covered with a piece of an old coolmax t-shirt. It works great, there is just enough clearance between my face and the pads to keep cool, and enough padding so my face doesn't contact the helmet shell in a crash. This WILL reduce the effectiveness of the jaw protector to some unknown extent, but some compromises need to be made. If you're uncomfortable and hot its also dangerous.

I just wish the L Casco was a bit bigger, the clips that hold the jawpiece on were better designed, and the fit system was a little more comfortable. If I could only keep one, it would be the Deviant.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.