mtbr member
    Nov 2005

cardboard helmet passes safety test

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    good read, +rep

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for a full face version of this thing.

The model they're testing is clearly a commuter lid, but the compression properties of it are made for downhillers. Even if the real world difference is small compared to normal EPS foam anything that helps avoid concussions is more than worthwhile.

tl1
    Bicyclist

That's sweet! I hope they end up being more affordable than the typical foam based bike helmets (like the $20 cardboard bike) but since the foam in bike helmets has to be nearly as inexpensive as cardboard and we see the the foam helmets selling for well over $150 at times I won't be counting on it.

“Ideally they test five helmets and give you the go-ahead but since this was a unique concept they tested 50-plus helmets as they didn’t believe the results were that good,” Surabhi told Wired.com. “They ultimately gave us the certification, saying that it was much better at impact absorption.”

I'm with stupid
    What happens to the cardboard when it gets all humid and sweaty under the plastic. Last time I checked when a box got wet it or in a really damp hot environment it became useless.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    What happens to the cardboard when it gets all humid and sweaty under the plastic. Last time I checked when a box got wet it or in a really damp hot environment it became useless.
    Read the stories. They use a cardboard that is waterproof. Not simply made from corrugated boxes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    IIRC when this helmet design was first featured they talked about being able to custom fit them. Make a 3-D scan of your head and laser cut the insert. Would be expensive the first time but cheaper for reorders and other helmet types.

I expect other models to be made available. The tooling costs should be lower than for a foam helmet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Very cool.

Huckin' trails
    Plus you can always get a carbon shell for more impact protection, lighter weight and longer life, and still be able to just replace the cardboard inside in case of a crash where the main shell haven't been compromised. That's be awesome not having to trash a $100+ helmet every time you crash or go OTB...

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Plus you can always get a carbon shell for more impact protection, lighter weight and longer life, and still be able to just replace the cardboard inside in case of a crash where the main shell haven't been compromised. That's be awesome not having to trash a $100+ helmet every time you crash or go OTB...

Not really. It actually works the other way around

Magura

MTB B'dos
    Cardboard definitely has the ability to absorb impacts, think it's a great idea. My question lies in all those very thin pieces of cardboard and what effect they'd have on impact, small area=high pressure, wonder if they checked if the crash test dummies skulls got cut up or not?

jtsonphone above is one of the "smart" spammers, some admins please delete all his posts and ban his ass.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    My question lies in all those very thin pieces of cardboard and what effect they'd have on impact, small area=high pressure, wonder if they checked if the crash test dummies skulls got cut up or not?
    The production model Abus are making has a thin EPS liner between the cardboard shell and you, specifically to prevent cases of corrugated face.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Those helmets are ok if your a skateboarder, or if cruising to a cafe. Seriously, cardboard wasn't designed with them kinds of impacts in mind. There is a reason why safety gear is not made out of cardboard, it's the last line of defense against injury. As for cardboard absorbing more impact than foam helmets, I call BS. If that was the case, helmet manufacturers would of picked up on that years ago, especially those with a active R&D department, be it auto racing or two wheel racing, or even general purpose. To me, binning a $100 helmet is a small price to pay for protecting a valuable payload.
    I really don't get this cardboard fetish in the mtb industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    specifically to prevent cases of corrugated face.
    Have you or one of your loved ones ever suffered from a case of a corrugated face, call our office we fight for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Those helmets are ok if your a skateboarder, or if cruising to a cafe. Seriously, cardboard wasn't designed with them kinds of impacts in mind. There is a reason why safety gear is not made out of cardboard, it's the last line of defense against injury. As for cardboard absorbing more impact than foam helmets, I call BS. If that was the case, helmet manufacturers would of picked up on that years ago, especially those with a active R&D department, be it auto racing or two wheel racing, or even general purpose. To me, binning a $100 helmet is a small price to pay for protecting a valuable payload.
    I really don't get this cardboard fetish in the mtb industry.
    And you think foam was specifically made for impacts? You can design many materials to absorb impact. Nothing wrong with trying something new. It's how progress is made.

And you'd be surprised what large r&d companies miss or never bother researching.
    Last edited by thickfog; 12-25-2012 at 04:45 PM.